roll cages info : ) pls

chrisyleigh

For one are they road legal , noob question ino but I always thought they wernt even tho I've seen people with them and also is there a full cage wear I can keep my back seats and still have passengers any pics , or can I just see your set up of full cages , cheers chris , sorry for the noob question but hay ho what's a forum for aye : )

Georges Dad

They are road legal but if you have a crash/roll and smack your head without a helmet on it will hurt...even with padding. A half cage may be a good compromise but most fitted with rear seats are show cages but you may be able to get a custom one built. If you run harnesses instead of inertia reel seatbelts they are a must as you cannot get your head out the way in the event of a roll.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Also, they generally include something like a harness bar so that the angle to the mounting point isn't as steep (thus you're held back in the seat rather than down onto the floor).

You must be able to do it because there are members who compete in classes that require you to keep the interior trim, but that also have a roll cage.

If you were so inclined, you could probably fit a cage that's not designed to fit around the interior then cut/customise your interior to make it fit back around it. - Obviously it needs to be securely mounted to the body, and there are no mounting points provided by Nissan.

chrisyleigh

I heard or seen on another thread something about going round the quater panel or something , basicly still want to be able to have passengers , but on track days ect ill just rip the seats out and attach the harnesses to the rear seatbelt holes basicly. Anyone done this ? Must of been done any pics? Cheers chris

P

pulsarboby

you can buy the jap import cusco style cages where you can retain the full interior but tbh with you the cages would be next to useless if you should roll the car as they are way to thin which is why none of these are fia approved.

also as said above.....if you were unfortunate enough to be involved in a serious rta, without a full harness or crash hat you will be badly hurt more than if you had no cage fitted at all, without a crash lid on the cage could end up round your neck or smashing your nogin wide open so not a good idea really but perfectly legal for road use i might add!

chrisyleigh

I guess its more for show but if the worsed did happen on a track day then I geuss I would want sothing strong and helmits at a must on track days anyway , would it have to be the custom route I take it then? Or is there a stronger cage anyone with pics of a fitted cusco one?

P

pulsarboby

think the safety devices bolt in jobbies are about as good as youll get without pushing the boat out costwise. but they are not normally a good fit and take some boogering around with to fit correctly plus youll still need to weld in box sections so not a true bolt in unit really.

chrisyleigh

Hmmm any pics of the cusco cages in a car? , and bob speaking jiberish I don't understand what a (box section) is on a cage , sorry for all the noob questions just learning and finding out bits and bobs cheers chris

danr

box sections will be pieces of 'box' shaped steel welded into various places on the car, allowing the cage to be bolted / welded to them. providing a stronger anchor for the cage.

johnsy

this is very similar to the cusco cage!

I decided not to fit it in the end ,I was nt happy with bolting it in, and questioned what would actually happen in the event of an accident,I don't think there is any benefit,

i think as far as an m.o.t goes it needs to be padded where you come into contact with it

chrisyleigh

Does look a bit weak , wat about welding extra bars on it? To stiffen it up a bit more, have to think about passengers tho , hmmm some one must of done it ? Made a custom cage ? Thanks for the pic, anymore got one inside of the car?

whytie

I had this one custom made much better than those cusco ones. The main piller on the cage is 3" so much stronger. It runs tight along all the pillars plus its fia approved.

vss irvine

buy a saxo and fit a 5" chrome rollcage,

pointless fitting a cage if you still want to use the rear seats.

M

markwashington

I'm going to have to agree with vss. Either fit a cage to be used, in which case you'll probably have to lose the rear seats. Or fit one for cosmetic effect, which will be fine with a rear seat but won't help at all on a track day. I know you're keen on having a daily driver that can be used on the track as well. So why not go front and rear strut braces (you could even go for centre if you can find one), uprated front and rear arbs, properly set up coilovers and a lsd (see group buy). This would see the car handle really well on track, and you'd be able to keep the rear seats.

Do you need the rear seats occasionally or would they be needed on a regular basis (like daily) only fitting buckets and a harness (I'm assuming you're going for this) will make getting in and out of the back an absolute nightmare.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I remember how this was done now! - You fit the cage, but fold the seats flat; you can't actually use them, but they're still in the car for the purposes of motorsports class rules.

That doesn't really help, except that it shows you can either have the cage for protection if you're tracking the car, or you can have the space/seats to carry passengers.

MarkTurbo

I remember how this was done now! - You fit the cage, but fold the seats flat; you can't actually use them, but they're still in the car for the purposes of motorsports class rules.
Thats the one ;-) Thats what i would have to do if i put a cage in my car as i run in the roadgoing class which means all interior trim has to be present, the only thing you can remove is the carpet.

I have thought about fitting a cage before just incase the worst should happen whilst i'm racing. But i still use the car on the road too so don't want a cage inside the car for the reasons Bob mentioned earlier!

Jon Olds

Competitor and crash survivors view (grey haired view) Primary safety is a good seat and belt. The seat must stay where it is bolted when subjected to big G's. The belt must hold you in the seat.
Next comes hitting hard things. (trees, armco, road furniture etc) The car will deform; its designed to. The cage will help prevent it deforming onto your little safe area, snug in your seat. If your lucky.
Other than that they are a pain. They are tricky to fit properly, prevent easy access/ingress and slow the car down, due to weighing a ton.
They MAY help the handling, but unless your running mega spring rates, I wouldn't think you'd notice.
IMO
ps: having had a few belter racing accidents over the years, i put my money in safety devices coffers. They seem to work at a livable (ha) price