Restrictor or not ? GT2871R

radiobar

hi !

yes, i know.
but i have seen a bolt on restrictor and it was below 1mm.
also it looks like on standard turbo.

thanks

Braveheart

Yes... I understand.
Why do they sell a bolt on oil restrictor for a GT series turbo when it's suppose to have one built-in.

GTIR-LOZ

that is the same size as mine i dont think that has a restrictor it should be about 1 mm or less. Its hard to know what to do some people say they have it some say they dont but some have had smokey gt's after a short while, if it has already got one then fitting another hopefully wont make any difference (as long as there are the same size;-) ) but if it has not got one then you could have over oiling and leaky seals, if you are not sure it might be worth fitting one to be one the safe side thats what i will do:-D

j10gtr

When I asked apt they replied dont bother unless you experience any problems. But I wasnt sure about as if it did cause a problem would it be too late ?

Thanks
Paul

radiobar

hi !

ok,so i think i will install the 1mm bolt
i am sure there is no restrictor,because it looks same as on standard turbo.

inlet is 2.75"
no pics at the moment.

thanks

GTIR-LOZ

aparantly the restrictor is actually inside the turbo after the bit you can see, where did you ge the bolt from any links

radiobar

hi !

you can get the bolts at atpturbo.com from the states.
but they are 4 or 5mm i think.

i have custom made inserts made for it.
so i can install 1, 1.5 or 2mm

Braveheart

turbodaily said:
yep the restrictors is built into the core on gt's.

do you have any pics of the inlet of the turbo please mate?
My inlet on the compressor housing is 3", Radiobar has a 2.75" inlet.
When I was asking about parts, actuator bracket and compresor housing bolts I was told that a 3" inlet is not the norm for at gt2871r made up for the pulsar as they normally use the OE compressor housing and my OE actuator bracket should have fitted.

crag

Rang around 6 turbo companies last week they all said the turbos do not come with a restrictor in the turbo, you have to buy a 2mm restrictor or have a pipe made with a 2mm restrictor in it.

So rang RC developments and Apex performance and they agreed on the 2mm restrictor else your new GT turbos wont last very long.

Braveheart

crag said:
Rang around 6 turbo companies last week they all said the turbos do not come with a restrictor in the turbo, you have to buy a 2mm restrictor or have a pipe made with a 2mm restrictor in it.

So rang RC developments and Apex performance and they agreed on the 2mm restrictor else your new GT turbos wont last very long.
Interesting information Crag!
Not sure what to feed it with now... maybe OE pipe!

radiobar

hi !

i think there is no 3" inlet. only 2.75" or 4".
my gt3071 did not last long,maybe this was the reason.
so maybe i will go for 1.5 mm

OE pipe is more than 2mm, i think it 4.
but iam not 100% sure.

Braveheart

My gt2871r has a compressor housing that has 3" inlet.
Anyway, that is a different part of the turbo... at the moment, it's the oil feed that's the issue. I have the group buy oil feed pipe that's now fitted and i'm ready to bolt the turbo/manifold/downpipe back on... hmm!

GTIR-LOZ

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3647087

been doing a bit of digging and it seems that although the gt unit have an inbuilt restrictor, you also need one in the feed also of approx 0.035 so anyone running without a restrictor is prob running on borrowed time for their turbo, alot of people seem to be using banjo bolts in the block with restrictors in them, but i cant seem to find a supplier, you caould always do what one chap has done and weld the end up then drill through a sort of diy restrictor, or i am sure hose solutions can sort us out

Braveheart

GTIR-LOZ said:
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3647087

been doing a bit of digging and it seems that although the gt unit have an inbuilt restrictor, you also need one in the feed also of approx 0.035 so anyone running without a restrictor is prob running on borrowed time for their turbo, alot of people seem to be using banjo bolts in the block with restrictors in them, but i cant seem to find a supplier, you caould always do what one chap has done and weld the end up then drill through a sort of diy restrictor, or i am sure hose solutions can sort us out
Thanks for the reseach Paul!
Sh1t.... sounds like some kind of horror story!:shock:
If a gt series turbo has a built in restrictor why bother:roll: ... well you had better fit a 0.035 oil feed or you are on borrowed time... ahhhh!
I want to trash my car on a track... but is the feed to the tubby ok?

O

Odin

I didn't trust this in built restrictor on my new GT3076R so I used 3mm break line hose running through an inline filter to drop the oil pressure even more.

Rob

Braveheart

Odin said:
I didn't trust this in built restrictor on my new GT3076R so I used 3mm break line hose running through an inline filter to drop the oil pressure even more.

Rob
lol,

Does that mean we can use the OE plumbing then...

O

Odin

Braveheart said:
lol,

Does that mean we can use the OE plumbing then...

Yes their is no reason why you shouldn't be able to unless the turbo inlet thread/pitch is different.

Rob