rear sway bar won't mate up with rear suspension..

djdoc360

So I installed my new suspension and i can't get my rear sway bar to reach my drop link that is connected to the suspension. I had JIC before my new JC-Project and the JIC bracket were the drop link hole was further out compared to the JC. My sway bar is a 22mm upgrade ( i think nismo or arc) with 22mm energy-suspension polly bushings. My drop links bushing also polly. I guess I could go to the hardware store and make something to work. do you guys have any suggestions?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
How are you trying to do it?
I found the best thing was to undo the sway bar mounts, then install the droplinks, then put the mounts back on. However, if I'm understanding correctly that's not working because the mount point isn't in the same spot.

You could always go without, but that it likely to make the rear more grippy (as it will roll more) and therefore make the front less grippy (so is probably not a smart idea).

NME_RR

if you have a tight setup if you jack the car up the antiroll bar will be way out! thus making it very hard to fit, if you drop the car down to normal ride height ect, it will be so easy n you will htink what a F**kin T**T i was

djdoc360

Oh OK.. i will try and install them with the car on the ground and I will also try and install them with the sway-bar disconnected from the rear sub-frame. if it doesn't work ill take pics and measure how off it is. I did drive my car today with the new suspension and no rear sway bar. my turn in was crap and i can see my car through the rear view mirror sway.

Last edited:

stumo

The anti-roll bar should turn easily in the mounting bushes (or it won't be doing it's job correctly) ((you DID grease the bush/bar before fitting didn't you?)) so it really shouldn't matter if the car is up in the air or not.

If the bar doen't twist easily in it's mountings then you need to do something so that it will (ie grease etc etc)

jjs

i thought some suspension uses different lengths of tie bars , i know the ones i got with my k sports were a lot longer than the standard drop links .

djdoc360

Installed my standard drop links on my new suspension and notice that it sits right on the driveshaft CV boot and sits about a inch away from the stablizer bar. Went to the hardware store and bought 2 small brackets with nuts and bolts. I had to use a small bracket and attach it so that the drop links had tention pulling them outward away from the CV boots. Took the pulsar for a test drive and gain some stablization in the rear. the only problem is it is not stiff like before. I belive the part i need looks like this http://www.gtiroz.net/gallery.html. I any one has any idea were i can get this, plz help.

update: on the link go to ARC Rear Sway Bar .

Last edited:

jjs

what kind of suspension is it ? wouldnt it be eaasier to buy the correct droplinks to match the suspension ?

djdoc360

Well I talked to the company and they said that the car that they pulled the suspension from had the ARC rear sway bar with the droplinks listed in my post before this one. So I will need those droplinks in the link above.

djdoc360

Problem fix!!!! I took both of the web site links above and went to the hardware store and bought all the parts and assambled them. From what I can telll the costome droplinks i made work. Ill takes some pics later. The rear is very stiff!!!

djdoc360

There JC Project. I belive there a new suspension brand here in Japan. But yeah, thay bracket did look alittle wrong to me too. The guy is also giving me some new bottom part/ suspension lag base. Maybe the bracket will be different on those. Ill get some closer pics the next time I go to the garage.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The photo seems to show quite a jaunty angle for the drop link. The link should ideally be vertical and the bar horizontal from pivot to ARB mount. Maybe the rear is very stiff because the ARB has locked up the movement? Closer pictures would help, but if its a problem then you might want to lengthen the drop link.

stumo

something is very wrong there.....

as Jim said, the link wants to be vertical and the bar wants to be horizontal between the bolt hole and n=mounting.

gtirx2

The photo seems to show quite a jaunty angle for the drop link. The link should ideally be vertical and the bar horizontal from pivot to ARB mount. Maybe the rear is very stiff because the ARB has locked up the movement? Closer pictures would help, but if its a problem then you might want to lengthen the drop link.
I have the same setup and my drop links are also at that sort of angle on nismo shocks but i think my arb looks a bit flatter?

djdoc360

Oh ok, I see what you guys ment. Do you think my setup is going to fail or break? Truthfully this is the stiffest the rear has ever been.