Raising the compression?

M

m.r.motorsport

godzilr said:
is you sump pan at all been dented in? check that...if thats in good shape...power steering pump
what is the sujestion about the sump pan for?

M

m.r.motorsport

i managed to take the y piece off of the rear of the car which gives great acess to the knock sensor from below if the cars front wheels are on ramps. the i used a 1/4 drive 12mm socket (as it was hex not star) with 1/4 drive adjustable. this gave me the angle i needed and with various extensions ending up in a step up to 3/4 ratchet i was able to get the bugger off ... mine was tight too. if you route the lot through the gear box breather pipe being carefull not to bend it when putting load on the ratchet you should have a better chance than with spanners. i have pictures if you want the email me m.r.motorsport@hotmail.co.uk and ill send them over of the tol and of the direction to go through the car. hope that helps.

Radleigh

Gearbox cradle?

Been thinking, As I almost come close to selling my GTiR! But I'm going to give it one last chance...

Looking at designing a gearbox cradle and removing the two mounts on the box, Hopefully might result in no more cracked casings?! Has no one thought, or tried before to make one?

That, and I plan to have my case strengthened, as I really want to keep the car, But I still have that in my mind about the casing, as they are just to weak:?

Either that, Or I may be tempted to put some cash, when the times right to get a kit made for an Evo box to fit......

Radleigh

i have, and it got mentioned in one thread about a cradle, but havent found nothing else on it!

Seems a good idea to me, Evo's have cradles and they don't have many casing problems?!

I know our casing is probably made differently and out of different material, but its gotta be worth a try....

Radleigh

Yeah, Seen that thread loads, and I'll be having something alike made up, but to my own design, But I want to eliminate the mounts and have a cradle underneath the box to support, rather than have two gearbox mounts....

MarkTurbo

What sort of power level are you aiming for and what clutch you going to be using? Also if your still using a standard gearset i wouldnt worry about strengthening the casing as you'll smash all the teeth off the gears long before the casing will break :lol:

Radleigh

Fastguy,

Maybe, I'll see how well I get on with a new job...

Mark,

Only running a bar at the moment. But once I know the gearbox is ok, then i'll play with power. Gearset will be uprated too, but not yet, I wanna get this out the way first ;)

Will spec it for a good 350, Not to bothered on paper figures :-D

im running over 300 on standard box, launch hard alot. not had a problem yet.

im sure i will when i start getting to the 400's but ive had 100's on probs with tuning cars before, i dont get bothered by it

Radleigh

My box went at 274bhp, It just shows how weak they are, But then I do give mine death! LOL

Its the spring that went in mine...

chrism

Engine out

Im wondering how long it´ll take to remove my engine.Im looking at regrinding the crank etc.

I have a workshop with lift.Ample space.Everytrhing needed.

How long to remove engine and loosen gearbox?

I had a worn big end bearing on fourth.I just replaced the bearings and hoped for the best. I turned it over and it was quiet.I thought "yes". Took it out for a littel warm up. I got about a mile then it started rattling. Sh1t. I went from nervous to exstatic to f´in pi55ed off in 5 minutes.

Im going there in an hour or so to get the sump off and see what the damage is.

MarkTurbo

chrism said:
I have a workshop with lift.Ample space.Everytrhing needed.

How long to remove engine and loosen gearbox?
As you've got all the tools and a ramp you should be able to have the engine out and gearbox off in a couple hours at the most ;-)

chrism

I had a quick look at the big end bearing and rod. The bearings have actually spun round so they sat overlapping.I hope the crankshaft is not fooked!

I set about uncoupling the lump. I managed to disconnect all plumbing,vacuum and wiring.etc. Removed bumper,fans radiator. Its now sitting with the 4 mounts and the driveshafts are still there.The rear drive is off too.

A few questions:

1. Did I really need to unplug the power steering?

2. Whats the best way to remove driveshafts?

3. Do I need to change all rods if one is fooked? or can I just balance the three used ones that are okay and a new/used one?