adi_gtir

tuning info pls

ive just bought a forged engine off the forum spec as follows
Bottom End rebored and crankshaft balanced
JE 87mm Pistons with coatings
Shot peened Rods
ARP con rod bolts
Oil Pump (Nissan)
Guide chain Sla and Guide Chain Tens (Nissan)
Timing Chain and Tensioner (Hiteq)
Engine Gasket Kit (Hiteq)
Mains and Big End Bearings (Hiteq)
HKS 264 cams
3 angle seat cut
Lightened and Balanced Flywheel
ive currently got a hybrid FMIC,apexi avcr and safc2 on the car already
ive got a standard turbo to go on the engine at mo that i bought off andy chan (mr gtir) whos helped me loads and hes agreed to help me get the engine back in the car wen hes free 1 weekend i jus wanna kno where to go from here cos i can only ask andy so much over the fone
do i jus throw it back in and get sum1 set up the safc or do i get the original ecu remapped and by who
i eventually wanna run a gt30 and power fc with an uprated gearbox but for now jus wanna get it runnin agen so i can use it on track days
adi

EVOBAD

well i would put engine in to car run it in for a few weeks then get it set up for 1.2bar on strd ecu ,then when you get the power fc gt30 etc get it maped again & run 400bhp ,make sure u hav a good clutch as the strd one will slip on 1.2bar plus ul need walbro fuel pump

A

adi_gtir

engine already run in,and ive already got walbro fuel pump,
im gonna buy a helix organic clutch too
i jus wanna kno wether to get the safc set up or get the standard ecu remapped to be safer on track and wot boost can i run thru standard turbo its not got2 last long i just want decent power
adi

snoon

You can run the standard turbo to 1.4 bar but I would just stay at 1.2 until you can get something to control the fuelling like your PFC.

Smo

Clutch maybe? No gear selection.

Hey guys - after I finished work tonight I started my car and noticed the clutch was biting way, way down - so far I wasn't sure it was biting at all. I couldn't select any gear either. I turned the car off and then was able to select all gears just fine without depressing the clutch so that ruled the gearbox out. First thing I thought was to check the clutch reservoir which was bone dry, nothing in it at all. So filled that up and started the car, gears worked fine and after a while the bite point returned to normal.

On the way home after 5 miles or so the clutch went to bite by the floor again and I was unable to select any gears. I pulled over, popped the bonnet but the fluid level was fine so got back in the car and it seemed alright again so drove home. Thing is, since it went funny on the drive home the bite point has fluctuated between normal and way low.

I figure maybe there's a bubble in the system somewhere so I'll take the cap off tomorrow morning and pump the clutch like hell then try taking her for a drive. If this is not the case does anyone have an idea of what's going on?

Cheers.

Animaldaz

You must have a leak for all your fluid to dissapear, its probably the clutch slave cylinder thats gone. Its mounted on the front of the gearbox, if it has blown then there will probably be fluid dripping off the bellhousing, if not pull the boot back to see if its wet inside.
If there is no fault there then it may be the master cylinder, check the clutch pedal to see if there is fluid dripping down it.
The other option is the hose has burst, but if that happened then you would empty the system very quickly after only one or two clutch operations.
Also after refilling the reservoir you will need to bleed the system by opening the nipple on the slave cylinder and pushing the pedal up and down untill all the air is out.

Smo

Cheers pal - much appreciated. I figured it could be air in the system so I'll try undoing the nipple tomorrow. Here's hoping I can reach the bugger!

Animaldaz

there not too bad to get to, best way is to use a length of washer tube and a bottle, that way you will be able to see when the fluid is free of bubbles, remember to top up the reservoir after every couple of pumps. You really need 2 people to do this.

G

gtiral

advice needed plaese

i am having an ongoing dispute with my local tuner about the parts i am putting in my pulsar. for starters i have bought some HKS 264 cams, SARD 660cc injectors, HKS headgasket. The problem is that he doesnt think my standard gearbox will handle the power i am running at the minute let alone after there fitted!! lol. We reckon that i am running 330bhp!!! but we do not know for certain lol. i am looking for 400bhp. he also said that my turbo is 'spiking'????? we put a boost controller on to see what it is boosting at, and it is boosting at 1.5BAR!!!! i know this is a lot but why is it boosting this high when it has never been on a rolling road or had a controller fitted prior???? is this slowly killing my engine???? We have the engine in bits and i am really worried that i am going to get it back together and test drive it and blow the gearbox to pieces!!! i would like to know what parts and set ups the 400bhp boys are using as this would really help me with my project. lol. also are there any horror stories to go with searching for 400bhp. i know the quaffe gearbox is the one of choice. any other choices that will handle this without having to remortgage the house..lol.. would these parts i am looking to put in work together??? i have been without my pulsar for nearly two months now and it is starting to annoy me lol. what power do you all think i am runnig with......
WALBRO 255lph fuel pump
PIPERCROSS induction kit
3'' exhaust system with standard elbow and HKS downpipe
HUGE frontmounted intercooler
BAILEY dumpvalve
HKS heat range 8 spark plugs
all the rest of the parts are OE at the moment but she is still boosting at 1.5BAR!!

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

THANKS alex

P

pulsarboby

gearbox is a gamble at that figure! its the torque lbft that will kill it not the bhp.

as for the bits you have fitted, other than exhaust, none of those bits will really increase your bhp figure! but the boost will. however 1.5 on a standard tubby is too much and something will let go eventually unless your fuelling and ignition are spot on, even then the turbo's life will be hugely reduced.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
You’re not going to hit 400bhp with a standard turbo - that’s for sure.

Have a look in the FAQ's for noobs some of what you are asking is in there.

400bhp is achievable on a standard engine, but as stated you need to ensure your engine management is spot on and a new turbo :roll:

*oh and get rid of the standard turbo elbow, get a custom 3" one made to suit

Last edited:

davey red.r

yeah ill give you some advice, get 8k and do it properly.
2k quaiffe,3k engine,grand 3071 2k further mods to accompany those mentioned,and you will need brakes as well for 400 .single piston callipers,
you might as well put a bullet in a gun .spin the barrel, put it to your temple and pull the trigger

davey

Last edited:

warringtonjack

If there are no other boost mods and your standard tubby is blowing 1.5Bar, would this not suggest its running unlimited boost? Have you checked the solenoid for a little drill hole in it? This is a fairly well hidden cheap (free!) way of increasing boost. ;)

You have a serious problem if you have no boost mods and your turbo is running 1.5bar. Turbo will start spitting the dummy out soon, and might start taking bits of your new engine with it! :roll:

snoon

Something must be limiting it to 1.5 bar. When mine ran unlimited, it was just that unlimited. Went to 1.77 bar before I lifted off the throttle!!

Your not going to get 400 off a T28. The stanard elbow needs changing to achieve 350BHP really.

punkcav

hi, i am from barbados, and i have a gtir with the same problem, you have to take out the final drive, there is a spring on the reverse cam in there that is most likely broken