Raising the compression?

Fusion Ed

"
ive requested the 3071 be sent back to turbo dynamics for a checkup , due to engine failure caused by oil pump failure .. this carries a £180 fee if all is well , cost is purely for stripping down ,inspecting and rebuild/re balance .. or £550 for core rebuild .. i think im only fair in requesting this be done ...after all the unit was delivered to the garage and has only done around 50 miles ..
"

Should have gone via me. Could have done that cheaper.

P

pulsarboby

glad to hear your finally getting this sorted. reckon your due a bit of luck for once.

as stumo says above is correct! but ive seen many engines that have spun a shell and still had good oil pressure, is not always a definate that a light will come on and in many cases it doesnt.

soin

according to both parties involved , no oil light was seen , the engine just blew a hose on the dyno , which once replaced left the car with head gasket type symptons , upon stripping , the oil pump was mullered .. anyway thats water under the bridge though now .(.the pump wasnt worn , but chewed up by contaminents of some sort ).

micra ed : not sure if turbo has been shipped yet , knowing the garage id say it hasnt , those were the prices quoted by turbo dynamics , however they did say i could send it back via yourself ..

this sounds like the better option seeing as you were the supplier .. the garage dont seem to think the turbo will have sustained any damage so to get them to send it ive said if there is no damage i ll pay all related charges involved in healthchecking it ... however if there is damage .... well i rest my case , but i have a feeling im gonna have to keep on at em to move this on ..

what would i need to do , just box it up and ship it out to you ? please let me know the details ed

Last edited:

neil240z

not excatly down the road.

gearbox and transfer box come together for £300

£450 fitted, though your a fair way from me.

pulsarboby is in essex and could supply and fit one but could be a month wait.

regards

Neil

Keira

MarkTurbo said:
All you need is an engine hoist, drop the engine onto the deck then get the front of the car as high as possible to allow you to seperate the engine/box ;-)
dont even need the hoist numbnuts ;)

antgtir

Ok, just to bring this thread back from the depths of the GTiROC problem Solving belly.

Over the last month i changed the Lambda sensor with a known good one to test and to rule out this as a possible cause for the issues ive had.

I sent a datascan log to Micra Ed for him to take a look. He noted that the TPS voltage was low.

To cut a long story short i pm'd Jim (aka campbellju) to see if i could take him up on his kind offer of assistance in trouble shooting, as usual he said "no problem" so i took the car to him today and we did a little swapping of parts for known good working ones.

We firstly corrected the TPS voltage so it now reads as it should. We then began to strip the plugs, leads, coil etc and tested for faults, None!

We then turned our attentions to the MAF, luckily Jim had one from his car we could use as a tester. We fitted it, tested it on the road and bingo the car felt 1000 times better, much smoother and pulling well all through the rev range.

Whilst fiddling, Jim advanced the timing to 20 degrees from 18, so now all is working as it should be and perhaps should have been months ago.

So i just want to say thanks to Jim (his wife and daughter too) for the help and parts supply today, much appreciated.

Thank god thats a couple of issues gone, plagued isn't the word.

Ant. :thumbsup:

MORF114

theoretically you dont, if you can get a couple of jacks and some axle stands and some dunnage it is possible with the very bare minimum. drop engine onto deck using jacks to put it onto a engine trolly or the floor engine can be moved by one person but not picked up. then use jacks to jack the car up using the dunnage under jacks to lift the car higher with the axle stands and dunnage under axle stands then when its high enough whip out engine and voila. no hoist used.

Braveheart

Great news Ant... what a battle of wits that was. :doh: :thumbsup:
Sure the new ignition parts, fueling and DET can only help future well running.
:thumbsup: to Jim for his help (and everyone else)... think he should get another merit point.;-)

Keira

you dont need to drop the engine to do a gearbox so you dont need a hoist or hulk hogan waiting in the corner.

The very minimum you need are 2 axle stands, 2 jacks and a little bit of smartarseness about yourself and your good to go :lol:

Keira

thinking about it, that one was done with 1 jack and a bit of rope :lol:, so you actually need even less than i've listed above.

Radleigh

Anyone got any more pictures to help me with getting the box off?:thumbsup:

or the link to the "how to" I can't seem to find it searching:sad:

Thanks

Shaun

Keira said:
you're obviously a smartarse aswell then shaun ;) :lol:
I am at that Kieron ;-) It all comes down to abit of Quantum Mechanics and being able to be in 2 places at one time:lol: .Oh and i do the Hulk bit all on my own:lol:

j10gtr

Never seen the box removed like that. You undone the nearside mount and tilted the engine to give clearance ?

Cheers
Paul

Keira

theres abit more to it than that, but essentially thats all you do, get everything out the way with the engine bolted up as normal, we then take off the transfer box end case and pull the front diff out (its been put back in the last pic), you have to be careful not to split the middle plate from the main case of the tf box, shaun and a few others drop the whole transfer box. You need to do either as the box wont slide off the connecting shaft of the diff before it hits the chassis. You then support the box/engine, whip off the mounts and lower the engine on gearbox side, and simply pull it off..

peice of Pish if you know where everything is and what size sockets to use, can be on the floor in 2hrs tops. I'd imagine its not so easy if you dont know what you're doing. Better off dropping the lot if you've never done one imho

Last edited:

j10gtr

I have split the box in the car before and when I was doing it I did wonder if the box would come out. When I had the ancillaries out the way driveshaft off and nearside mount removed so I could get the gearbox casing off it did look like it would come out but didnt try it at the time.

Perhaps it would make a good how to ?

Cheers
Paul