RA & RB ECU differences

A

Anonymous

Doing a little looking around on different sites and i noticed the RA & RB Rs have different ECUs identified by different stickers. RA is black RB is red.
Is this true?
I have a 1990 model RA that has the RB (red sticker) ECU. Is there any difference in the ECU, and if so what?

A

Anonymous

Thats what i saw, meaning my RA has an RB ECU in it. However, asking a few guys in oz and they seem to think it might be model run dependant, not RA/RB specific. I've had a few guys saying their RA has the RB ECU, at least 5 so far.

Even if there is a difference, what would it be? Would it make a differance?

J

jasegould

Would the fact that one has AC written on it have anything to do with what ECU an R will have :? ie non ac and ones with ac?

A

Anonymous

My RA has air con. Don't think the ECU has anything to do with air con.

sypher

that could possible be right as generally the inj / ign ecu has controll over the compressor relay activation and cooling fan control to cool the condenser this info will be given by the trinary switch on the filter dryer

the ecu needs this info as when the compressor is activated it has to raise the idle to prevent possible stall..

A

Anonymous

If the AC stands for air conditioning it wouldn't be an RB ECU. No air con.
From other bits of reserch i've done, i think the stickers mean nothing. RA and RB have different part numbers.
The difference in the ECUs themselves would be the mapping. The RB would allow more fuel a high rpm for high boost in the rally cars.

Any other ideas?

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
from other bits of research i've done
you mean from what del and fil from the oz club told you brad ;)

i'd like to know the part number/s of the RB ECU
fastguy - wanna get under your dash and write down yours?
and i'll get someone with a non-optioned RB to do theirs...
(be interesting to see if they're different, although i doubt it)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Shalom said:
fastguy - wanna get under your dash and write down yours?
and i'll get someone with a non-optioned RB to do theirs...
(be interesting to see if they're different, although i doubt it)
What a pain that was :?
My mummy always said I was different and here's the proof :p

Spot the difference :wink:

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
cheers fastguy!
and i meant the difference between an "optioned" RB and a "non-optioned" RB :)
(ie. if there is a difference for those with air con and those without)

so far we have:
RA#1= 23710 54C00
RA#2= 2371M 54C00
RB#1= 23710 54C60

A

Anonymous

Thank Shalom and Fastguy. Yeah i thought i'd ask over here aswell. More ideas the better. However im a little more confused. Mines the one on the right 'AC' so what is it?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've just been playing with the Nissan Fast software and for the Pulsar the 6th digit of the chassis number confirms what model you have.

R is RB
V is RA

So mine, EBYNRRFN14...........

is an RB

I can only assume there wasn't a European RB model :?:

Can someone who thinks they have a Dakar ie the ivory white close ratio gearbox full luxuary spec uk car pm me their chassis number so I can see what it comes up with.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It also lists the Pulsar

SR20DET ECU as 23710 54C00 alternate number 2371M 54C00

SR20DET.GTI/RB.MT as 23710 54C60 alt number 2371M 54C60

In the European section it comes up as

SR20DET 23710 69C00

Fire & skill

Vintage member
that took you a while to reply to that!!

my RB had a red sticker but was remapped by buddy club in japan, it was labelled 'brack box' obviously the japs have a good sense of humour :lol: i wouldnt be surprised if standard ecus were remapped and sold on back in Japan - meaning theres a good chance your ecu isnt the original (R owners in general).

its a right pain in the t i t s finding out anything about the RB version

so far ive been told:

1, if its not ivory its not a real RB
2, if it has AC its not a real RB
3, if it has any extras at all its not a real RB

my conclusion was it def was an RB and it def had AC and full electric pack, and it was black. the gearbox was the original and not fitted afterwards (as someone said it must have been). im sure if we all get our heads together we will find the answers!!

Dunno if it's relevant:

Chassis number noted and deleted :wink:

Mine is Ivory, AC, full electrics (heated seats, 'leccy sunroof, etc), but my gearbox deffo isn't the low-ratio jobbie - I've seen 145mph out of mine. As I understand it, not possible with the low-ratio 'box?

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
fast guy - top work on the part numbers/codes!

major - as you can see from that pic, your car was a marble RB with the close ratio gearbox from factory.

fire - those 3 points have been all been proven incorrect (although they were the theories that were around a few years ago)
post your vin plate up too and we'll have a look...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Shalom said:
major - as you can see from that pic, your car was a marble RB with the close ratio gearbox from factory.
D'oh!

Shalom, his 6th letter is a V so it's an RA not an RB.

You only seem to be able to get alternate part numbers when you're searching on an RB chassis number from what I can tell. I can get the RB gear part numbers but can't seem to find an overall gearbox number to separate the 2 :?

What I need is a UK ivory close ratio gearbox chassis number so I can compare, also it would be useful to translate numbers 14-18 in the model number as that could be the options from the factory :?: