pissed off to the max

shroom

alright guys,

well got the car setup with safc tonight with my GT3071r, was brilliant, everything was set up fine and all my work was perfect that I have done, credit to the chap he realy knows his stuff, we were running on around 1.3 bar was going brilliant, I didnt want any more and the safc is pretty limited so for safety thought it was enough
pulled like an absolute train and was brilliant,

took my dad in it after it was all sorted and greg had left, went down the bypass, and it hesitated and then the fucking dreaded turbo squeel hapened, if I could put into words what my gut felt like I would :shock:

oil and water feed were fine, no shaft play in it when we put it on, everything was fine no boost leaks but oh no it desides to shit itself and the bearings go!

well I may have learn a lesson buy new...

stumo

why oh why feck about with a piece of crap safc when getting a proper ECU (nistune) is cheap as chips now:der::der::der:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Sorry to hear it. Have you got a T28 around to keep the car on the road or will you just order a new turbo?

shroom

because it was on the car and couldnt be arsed spending any more money on the thing and it was a stop gap measure to get the c*nt on the road, no sold the turbo so got nothing lol bad times eh might get it re built or crash the hole thing in the ditch

shroom

yer it is mate just got it all sorted and the one part I put most into goes :( , was more worried about engine but that was fine

Fusion Ed

You need to see why the turbo went. There will be a reason for that. 1.3 bar certainty wasn't stressing it, doing that with a SAFC is a bit dodgy but shouldn't have contributed to it either. I would say on probability that it was not oil starvation either, as that is almost never a reason why they fail. That pretty much leaves impact damage to the turbine causing immediate bearing failure.

You have to find out why or this experience may be repeated.

shroom

thanks for that ed, yer I knew in the first place that the safc was not realy up to the job but as it was there and could be used, I just went for that for the time being, must be the lesser spotted wagtail I sucked in through the intake, will have to have a look but couldnt see anything just the massive shaft play and digging into the housing

Fusion Ed

You will need to take the turbine and compressor housings off to take a look. This does sound like impact damage.

shroom

yer will get it off any have a look but wont do it now as I think I might end up snapping every manifold stud and get a bit angry with it lol

P

pulsarboby

i would agree with above, and yes thats a real sickener for something like that to happen.
did any boost hoses blow off prior to turbo seizing?
was the oil return pipe kinked in any way causing pressure to build?
did you block the intake and exit of housing from turbo when fitting so no little nuts bolts etc could fall down there?

i know someone very recently actually that fitted 2 uprated turbos to a skyline and the numpty left a 10mm spanner in the pipework which within 2 miles got sucked into his turbo then the busted bits off one impellor destroyed the other aswell:doh::lol:
he ended up with two smashed up brand new turbos and a whopping bill on his hands because he tried to save a few quid by doing it himself when he did not have a clue:roll:

dont know who you bought it off but in all fairness to whoever it may be i dont think you could blame them (not that you are) as it was fine obviously at first when fitted!

shroom

yer mate not blaming anyone tbh how could anyone know its an unknown quantity until its on the car,

yer kept everything clean and im a bugger for making sure everything is ok, I will have to have another look but the propelors didnt look nicked or anything, just massive play, will have a look at oil feed but it was a custom pipe that bent fine into possition and seemed ok,

the thing is it had been driving fine for a week off boost so anything in the pipe would have happened straight away if it was in there, the bearings did sound noisy thats why I posted up maybe just had been left to long and was a complete donkey

P

pulsarboby

was there excessive play when or before it was fitted?
if it was driven off boost then obviously the turbo wont be spooling properly so it would be ok, its when the bearings under pressure on boost that the real teller lies.

with roller bearing units you should get a little play untill bearings under pressure but its minimal play if you get my drift!

shroom

yer it seemed perfect bob, tiny little bit as you said but not moving a centermeter foward and side to side like now:doh:

well I will investigate and see what it looks like, just typical isnt it :lol:

come to think about it I was looking for my rabbits foot and pack of 5 leaf clovers, sure I had them when I was putting the turbo on :lol: maybe that got in

Fusion Ed

Consider that even water making it into the turbo can cause this to happen. If a drop is unlucky enough to hit the compressor on full boost it will be like being shot with a bit of water doing as much as 500mph, and creates a surprising amount of force on your turbo...

Jonesy

Just seen this thread, not been on for a while. He bought the turbo from me. As already said it was in good condition, with minimal shaft play. Will be interested to see why it failed.
Pm'd anyway.

shroom

no problem mate. Just one of those things as you said was sweet so its such a shame something down the line killed her, problem is you can do all the checking you want but you cant realy acount for when its on the road on full boost so many little things that can cause it to pop :(

MarkTurbo

well I may have learn a lesson buy new...
In my opinion having a warranty on a new turbo dosent mean much really unless turbo manafacturers are more honest these days :lol: I bet half the time when a new turbo fails the customer is told its oil starvation/ been overboosted etc then they've got you over a barrel as theres no way you can prove otherwise :?

darkyGTI-R

You could get all the internals replaced mate I know these turbo's cost a small fortune but that's what i'd do,but I also know you and your great mechanic Matt will sort this slight setback mate!

shroom

ow I know its a pain with something like this and they can easily wriggle out, well it definately was not anything getting pulled in, took all the intake of and I only build it up the night before and made sure everything was perfect as I knew what could happen, the oil drain was a "custom" bit of pipe so souldnt have got blocked or not let it through, the braided hoses are pretty easy to fit with the banjo bolt and the plug for water so it just seems like bad luck or something blocked up :(