Now I'm in a fudging mess

skiddusmarkus

When you take the cap off the fluid rises as you push the piston in Jase-it must be airtight.Plus if it wasn't it would absorb water from the engine bay and deteriorate quicker as it's hygroscopic(sp).

ShayneG

All I know is as soon as I took the cap off it was a piece of pi$$ and as i pushed the piston in the fluid did rise to the the top of the resevoir

L

leeboy

Use the old pad, put it on the piston and use a g clamp to pull the piston back, like geoff said, you are suposed to open the bleed nipple, but nobody does. Ive allways taken the resevoir top off, anyway you can watch it when its off,

lee

skiddusmarkus

I've been thinking about this and the cap can't be airtight because if it was,as the pad wears,the fluid level wouldn't be ab;e to fall as it would be held in place by the suction created in the pocket of air above it.I know you have to take the cap off but not sure why now :lol: .I'm confused :oops: .

J

jasegould

Im pretty sure they arent airtight purely because in my 10 years of working in the motor trade Ive changed loads of pads and sometimes when im in a rush (gotta make the bonus :wink: ) I try and get away without removing the cap and draining a bit of fluid to stop it overflowing but sometimes it overflows out through the cap :oops:

Plus if it wasn't it would absorb water from the engine bay and deteriorate quicker as it's hygroscopic(sp).
It does, the fluid in the reservoir absorbs more water than the rest of the system because the cap isnt 100% air tight, it forms a good seal but I think theres a little air hole in it.
Vauxhall Astras suffer really bad from this problem...I've done quite a few that have basically had water in the reservoir because the fluid had absorbed so much :roll: