newbie needs help!!!!

tony1981

hi, is there anyone in the Blackpool area who could take a look at my car for me as i'm having problems and i don't know what to do, thanks:doh:

P

pulsarboby

only joking tony;-) :lol: :lol: better put that in just incase you think were all a bunch of miserable cnuts:roll:

im not in blackpool but whats the prob your having?

tony1981

my car is idling at about 1500 rpm and i've tried almost everything to get it to drop, with no luck and after about 20 to 30 mins starts to hesitate and pull back, its like all noise and no moving

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Sounds like vacuum problems to me - I was having the same problem when the line between my boost guage and the BOV was leaking... idle revs come right up and all the poke goes out of the engine. The whole car just feels like it's upset and having a sulk?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes - disconnect the hoses, spray a bit of WD40 of the spiggots, and hook it all up again...
Or, and this might sound crazy, replace any old and worn-looking vacuum lines in the engine bay.

tony1981

would that make it idle high though? i thought it was over overfueling cos it smells a bit like unburnt fuel

P

pulsarboby

no but you may have two seperate probs there.

put it this way! if you give it a load of right foot action in say 4th gear from around 30mph and ideally on an incline, does the car start revving but the speed your travelling at stay the same'ish ?

tony1981

the list is endless, i just need to keep trying till i find out the problem. its just annoying cos while the car is still cold or warming up its fine apart from the high idle

tony1981

no, it pulls fine, its only after the it has been running a while. it seems to clear while travelling at a steady speed but once you try and accelerate it coughs and splutters

warringtonjack

Just to add another possible cause to your list, I'm gonna go for a dirty MAF! See if the MAF sensor wires are caked in black crap and if so, give it a clean. ;)

gtir_pimp

do you have a the standard top mount intercooler? coz if you sit in traffic you will get heat soak and the car wont go as well but if you keep moving so cold air can cool the intercooler it will feel normal again! not sure about the high idle,though its not a major issue. sometimes mine is up a bit higher especiallywhen started from cold it ticks over at around 1300rpm

tony1981

i've done a fault code check and it came back 5-5, yeah i've got a top mount intercooler, but it is almost undrivable when it starts, so i really don't know what to do!!!