New ENGINE problem!

ki_saj_ng

hey mate,

ran over it all again but could not suss it out.

it has now gone to Ian at Hiteq so will just let him sort it all out for us.

thanks for all your help guys and i will update you lot on when i get it back!

thanks

Tony

ki_saj_ng said:
there is definately a connection as it bumps up to +1 as soon as you turn the ignition, it does not move with revs at all - also cannot hear the dump valve.
So have you been driving the car or revving the boobs off it m8! you will have to rev it quite high to get the valve to make any sound while standing! which is not a very clever thing to be doing in your position!

Did you actually attemp to see if it was mechanically sound before you dived in and publicly slandered Si!!!!!!!

Tony....

ki_saj_ng

Did you actually attemp to see if it was mechanically sound before you dived in and publicly slandered Si!!!!!!!
what you on about?

im not here to argue with you or Si, if there is a problem with the engine, then its between me and Si. At the moment im just trying to sort out the engine and get the car on the road.

updates for the rest of you, the car went to Hiteq on Tuesday and i got a call back on wed (quick guy :wink: ) basically hes sorted a few niggly bits on it and changed over a few pipes and said its now running OK

however, there is still a 40% leakage on the 3rd cylinder, proven by a compression test and a leakage test.

going there 2moro to pick the car up, back on the flat bed :(

not sure what to do with the car now, Ians recommended running it as it is for a couple hundred miles to see if it helps clear it up and absolutely eliminate the possibility of a sticking ring - im just hoping this is the problem!

mmm.....ideas?

zia

i would say start it up and drive it for 500mile or so then do comp test? perhaps once you put some boost into the chamber, the rings will snap out and seal?.

zia

ki_saj_ng

yes thats the plan, i dont know whether to show it some boost or not.

thinking of taking it fairly easy as if its seized, a bit of boost may cause it to snap and that i dont want.

just see how it goes.

saj 8)

ki_saj_ng

hey all,

bit of good news :D

went up to Hiteq today to collect the car, Ian (top bloke - recommend him) has sorted out many little niggly bits with it and has got the car to drive ok. problems were (mainly vac hoses):

re-plumbed the vac hoses
oil leak from inlet vac pipe
air leak inlet vac pipe
oxygen sensor housing
and a couple other bits too

also fitted the walbro

while it was up there i had a little go in it and i must say it feels ok to drive, very very little smoke if any but didnt run it for too long.

everything else is running ok on it, apart from the speedo (i know the prob) and sticking n/s brake

and thats it!

gonna send it through for an MOT and TAX it all 2moro if alls ok and then im back on the road :D slowly after this il sort all the bits n bobs and then start upgrading :twisted:

Mr GTiR

ki_saj_ng said:
went up to Hiteq today to collect the car, Ian (top bloke - recommend him) has sorted out many little niggly bits with it and has got the car to drive ok.
:wink: :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What boost are you running on this engine?
Have you done a fault code check. If you're running standard boost the power isn't down too much, if you're running 0.5bar due to ecu kicking in then power sounds about right.

ki_saj_ng

still running standard boost mate!

not done ecu check but theres not a problem apart from the compression, im not really worried about the power!

theres no future for that engine.

dont understand y u removed the other post???

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If it's standard boost and you haven't done an ecu check then I'd do one. 190bhp is around what I'd expect if it was running at 0.5bar in safe mode, which would indicate a det sensor problem most likely.

How does the engine run? Is it fairly smooth albeit sluggish or does it sound like a Subaru?

ki_saj_ng

its not running 0.5 bar, its running 0.7 bar.

its smooth, its putting down the torque fine, just not enough power, as said above im not worried about the power!

over the course of 1 month, the 3rd cyl has come down by 15psi, 1 fooking month!

how long does it have left?

look, this isnt getting no where, i know what the problem is and so do many others.

as for my R, lets just say its gone off road for a long time once again!

saj 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If the car's just gonna sit there, whip the rocker cover off and check the valve clearances. They could cause your problems if they are out.

zia

15 psi is nothing, mine run's on three 1/2 cylindar's and still pull's even taking 1.5 bar :lol:. i can understand your situ,but i.d first try getting it set up properly at 1 bar then do power run. 130psi is better than all my 4 compression readings. and how long it will last is subject to discussion.

zia

Boooooost

I agree with fast guy valve clearances make a hell of a difference although i'd of thought ian would have checked these. :?