New ENGINE problem!

ki_saj_ng

hey all,

some of you guys know and some of you have probably worked it out that i bought SI's engine off him.

after struggling for so long, managed to get it in and fired up today (good news) but it seems like its missing (bad news)

did a compression test on it when cold and got:

1st - 147
2nd - 132
3rd - 118
4th - 147

it sounds very bad as you can imagine, sounds like my old popped one, had Andy (Mr GTIR) on the phone and he wasnt impressed with the sound either.

just changing over the ignition bits and will get back some more hot engine compression results.

anyone shed some light on this for me please, alots gone into getting that engine, putting it in so i really need to get it running right.

HELP!!!

ki_saj_ng

just done another test, well two actually and have gotten:

1st - 145
2nd - 140
3rd - 125
4th - 140

these are all solid and acurate.

so basically the third has popped right hence the missing sound (just like my old one)

also have changed all the ignition components and no difference when running if not worse, although this dont make a difference anyway cos the compression test results tell you the story.

if there anything else to check people or is this it?

:( :cry: :x

J

jiw

repeat the test a few times mate and see if you get the same readings, are you diconnecting the injector circuit too as this will flood the bores whilst taking the reading's, jeff

ki_saj_ng

no i havent done that on any of the tests, will pull out the relay and redo the tests.

thanks, keep the ideas coming please as i dont feel too good a the minute!

Shaun

:D Hi mate,have you got the throttle open as well :?: As on my first attempt i had it closed and got a lower reading :wink:

J

jiw

make sure you get the tester to seal properly too mate, you should be getting consecutive readings try after try (+/- a few psi)

ki_saj_ng

hey,

following your instructions by taking out the replay for the fuel pump. done two more tests.

1 - 160
2 - 151
3 - 130
4 - 152

1 - 160
2 - 155
3 - 130
4 - 152

they all have improved but there still is a major difference between the 3rd cylinder and the rest.

verdicts and suggestions

J

jiw

drop a bit of clean oil into pot 3 and take another set of readings, im sure if it improves this means the rings have gone, jeff

ki_saj_ng

can i just ask what the oils for? is it just to seal up better and if i get a better result than the rings gone?

if thats the case, what to do?

does anyone think it could be the headgasket? iv been told by a couple of people that it may have something to do with this but Si says that the last time he used the engine it was running spot on :?

J

jiw

yeah im sure the oil seals the rings, you could pop off the rocker cover to see if the valves on cylinder 3 are fully closing before dropping the engine again for inspection

ki_saj_ng

thats an idea actually to see if the valves close.

the ex manifold/turbo has been off the engine for the past 4-5 months its been stored - possible that summats happened in that time.

cant definately be the valve stem/seals as all of these would have de-graded not just the 3rd cyl ones.

i know the compression test results lower but its not a crazy amount lower so does that eliminate the piston?

J

jiw

the difference shouldnt really be no more than 15 psi, did you turn the engine over by hand before starting it, also did you disconnect the coil and crank it to get the oil round the engine and turbo?

ki_saj_ng

i didnt turn the engine over before starting it NO.

however, when i first ran it, i ran it on idle without touching the acc at all.

if the vavles are sticking, would it really cause the car to sound that bad? sounds as if its running on 2 diesel cylinders! (its BAD)

its not smoking much compared to last time, only a little blue puff every now and again.

:? :? :?

:?: :?: :?:

J

jiw

a ring might of siezed if it has been damp stored, when started this could of cracked the ring, highly unlikely but its possible, check the rest first mate, fingers crossed hey :wink:

ki_saj_ng

cool mate,

will pop off the rocker 2moro morning and see how the vavles are, hopefully will find something silly here and all should be fixed.

if not then il plan to remove the head (situ) to check the headgasket, once this is off ill be able to see the pistons also.

mmm, is there anything else on my side that could have messed up, my plumblin of the hoses etc???

i want to eliminate everything before i even think of dropping the engine again although it will be loads easier this time round (installed the engine in a couple hours)

jiw - thanks for your help, appreciate it. your the only one that actually gives a shit bout a fellow R owner - yes im slating the rest of you :p

will post the updates for sure.

saj :?

ps, dont know whether to stress yet or not :?

jonee

r

hi m8

after reading about your probs,i feel for yah.

have you carried out a cylinder leakage test, cause if not pm me and i will talk you through one.

jonee

zia

as said slight drop in comp is ok even with 130psi it should still run ok. as the comp is still good, the correct way to start an engine that been sitting is to disconnect coil lead, feul pump and pour fresh oil in, crank it a few time to build up oil pressure then connect the plugs and fuel line. have you checked the connector to dizzy/amp/. don,t bother removing the head at the mo, wait until it running correctly before stripping the head!
what's the oil pressure like?
what does it rev like?
does it idle ok?
this has built forge piston etc?
no loose pipe;s
while idling pull out the dipstick check form fumes/smoke?
closley inspect leads/dizzy cap/rotor arm
zia

Tony

Si is my pal and i can vouch m8 that the engine was in A1 condition!

I would have thought that the compression results would be slightly lower than this because its lowered compression! (could be wrong tho!)

I know this has nothing to do with the compression but is your turbo ok and connected properly - no leaks or cattled gaskets? could be the running problem!!

With it standing for a while could it just have oxidisation on the valves and need a little running and oil change to help it out?

I just cant understand how the engine was so good and problem free from day 1 to you having this problem?!?!?!?

You sure you aint got the engines mixed up :wink: :lol:

Tony....