lagging

Keira

the point of ceramic coating is to keep the heat in the manifold, which maintains gas speed..allegedly..mines been done aswell, looks nice and shiney which is the most important thing 8)

O

Odin

youngsyp said:
Rob, why did you have the exhaust parts ceramic coated ?

As you well know the point of ceramic coating is to keep heat in the exhaust, That way stopping the inter cooler pipes having to deal with so high under bonnet temps, What I was trying to say was that even though the wrap would help protect the pipes for a while, I think prolonged exposure to the under bonnet temps wouldn't stop the heat getting through to the inter cooler pipes, After all it is designed to be used on an exhaust to keep heat in, And not on inter cooler pipes to keep heat out ;-) .

I think the reflective stuff would work far better ;-) .

Rob

youngsyp

Odin said:
As you well know the point of ceramic coating is to keep heat in the exhaust, That way stopping the inter cooler pipes having to deal with so high under bonnet temps, What I was trying to say was that even though the wrap would help protect the pipes for a while, I think prolonged exposure to the under bonnet temps wouldn't stop the heat getting through to the inter cooler pipes, After all it is designed to be used on an exhaust to keep heat in, And not on inter cooler pipes to keep heat out ;-) .

I think the reflective stuff would work far better ;-) .

Rob
I do totally understand where you're coming from bud and, if I had the money to waste, I'd get all my hot and cold parts ceramic coated. In my view, for a road car like mine, I see it as a 'nice to have' and as the wrap is so cheap now, I've gone that route (just ordered that fleBay stuff !).
However, the wrap or ceramic coating, doesn't know what it is covering, it's simply a means of insulation. It'll work just as well at keeping heat out, as it does at keeping heat in. It's not biased ! ;-)
You can of course buy a silicon spray on coating for the wrap though, to make it more effective !

Again, I do agree with you that the reflective wrap will work better, in all applications. But, by how much........ again, not enough for me to worry about on my road car.
I think I'm putting my view forward there though, with my circumstances in mind ! So, to answer that question again, yes, as Rob has said, reflective wrap will be more effective than 'normal' wrap. As, it'll be doing two jobs, reflecting the heat and insulating against it !

Oh, and by the way Rob, your set up is looking very nice. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it up and running ! 8)

youngsyp

diesel weasel said:
mines been done aswell, looks nice and shiney which is the most important thing 8)
I totally agree mate. That's by far the most important reason for doing it !! :lol: ;-)

O

Odin

youngsyp said:
Oh, and by the way Rob, your set up is looking very nice. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it up and running ! 8)

Cheers fella :thumbsup: .

My last word on the wrap is yes I think it's better than having nothing at all, But I feel after prolonged exposure to under bonnet temps that it will just absorb enough of the heat to soak through to the pipe work, When it's wrapped around an exhaust the heat bleed through isn't so much of a problem.

Oh and it will hold the heat on the pipework longer after you start moving too, As it will take longer for the air flow to cool right though the wrap down to the pipes.

Rob

youngsyp

Odin said:
My last word on the wrap is yes I think it's better than having nothing at all, But I feel after prolonged exposure to under bonnet temps that it will just absorb enough of the heat to soak through to the pipe work, When it's wrapped around an exhaust the heat bleed through isn't so much of a problem

Oh and it will hold the heat on the pipework longer after you start moving too, As it will take longer for the air flow to cool right though the wrap down to the pipes.

Rob
Agreed !

Dooie Pop Pop

lagging plus bacofoil (tinfoil) would be better:shock: BUT it would look absolutely dogshit:lol: albit a cheap and easily replaced dogshit......;)

Braveheart

Braveheart said:
This is a very interesting thread!
I have just returned from the States and brought many goodies back with me.
In with my stash was DEI 2" x 50 exhaust wrap + locking ties, reflect & cool 12" x 24" sheet and Universal Turbo Instalation kit (turbo housing nappy and pipe wrap + clips)
I have many parts to fit but I'm in no real hurry so I may be able to take temp reading before and after changes.
Along with lagging manifold, turbo and downpipe I'm considering making up a large rectangular alloy plate, lagging it with a reflect and cool blanket and suspending it between the engine rocker cover and TMIC. Obviously, I want as much space as possible between the lagging and TMIC so I could raise the TMIC height a tad after I fit my bonnet spacers to ensure that the IC is still sealed under the bonnet scoop air intake.
This would allow me to have more cool air for the rad and FMOC.
This car is for the track, not for sitting in traffic. ;-)
What do you think?

Keira

Braveheart said:
What do you think?
i think you should go with my advanced top mount intercooler design ;)

i believe that this simple mod will give all the benefits of a front mount with the short pipe run and stealth looks of an original topmount cooler.

Its a pretty simple set up.

you will need some simple tools such as a grinder to cut out the sparrow splitter and some strong adhesive to stick it to the core and the following parts :

1 x standard topmount
2 x large door hinges
1 x length of flexible,stretchy intake ducting
1 x glass cutter
1 x length of string

the idea is simple, at slow speeds, normal driving the car will look standard, but upon reaching the industry standard of time travel being possible at 88mph a quick tug of the string and the intercooler flips up 90degress, now being fully exposed to the oncoming cold air stream 8)

pictogram for reference purposes :

you wont see sh!t and im unsure whether you will travel through time but you will definately have far better intercooling :lol:

Last edited:

Braveheart

diesel weasel said:
i think you should go with my advanced top mount intercooler design ;)
I like your design :thumbsup: and you may not be far from the perfect TMIC.
I'd be a liar if I said I would never consider removing my bonnet air intake and replacing it with a TM. After all, aluminium does not rust.