Is this turbo fooked ???

gtirneil

Bought this of a member on here on the understanding that there were a couple of small chips on the blades on the comp wheel. Showing it to a few people they have all come to the conclusion that it is fookerd.

Have i just wasted £350 or is this fixable, the rest of the tubby is ok and there is virtually no play in the shaft.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If there's no play in the shaft then it's fixable.
You could use it as it is. It might whistle, not produce full boost or it may work ok. It will be out of balance tho, so it might reduce the lifespan.

I can only realy make out anything on the bottom picture, some in focus pirctures may give a better idea.

gtirneil

Theres very slight play in the shaft, not even 1/2mm, the lad said it boosts to 1.5 bar and was fine.

Can the wheel be changed or is it better to buy a new turbo, i dont want to be taking risks as its going on a freshly built engine.

Sorry about the pics, camera phone quality for you.

gtirjoey

is it a 3071r as my new one in a box has very minimal play and every 3071 i have ever seen has! assume its a 3071 from your signiture

gtirjoey

when it that cause dont worry about a bit of play. As for the blades i could not tell you as the others say just fit it and see it will not damage your new engine if it does not work properley. Jus waste of a few hours fitting a new one.
if it were me i would fit it just to see, if it works you got a result.

snoon

you could take it to a turbo place and ask them, they'll tell you if it needs changing.

P

pulsar-gtir

snoon said:
put it on and see what happens
:nono:Your having a laugh right!!!!!!!! Let's just imagine that the turbo is fooked and lots of little bit of turbine blade get sucked through the intake.....

:ban:

snoon

pulsar-gtir said:
:nono:Your having a laugh right!!!!!!!! Let's just imagine that the turbo is fooked and lots of little bit of turbine blade get sucked through the intake.....

:ban:

Shut up you pu$$y!

Get it on, it'll be right!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Small damage like that is normal on turbos after being in use for a while. The air filter hasn't been doing the best of jobs. You're unlikely to have the blades break off and go through the engine, unless something biggish goes through the turbo.

S

str_motorsport

if it was a std journal bearing turbo i would have replaced the compresor wheel,balanced and it should have been like new.
but it is a ball bearing turbo so I believe that the wheel cannot be replaced and you need to buy a new center section.
At least this is what i have heard on GT turbos.
For sure it will not perform as it should and it will be out of balance.
Would not fit on my engine...better to be safe than sorry ...

youngsyp

Try using the 'macro' setting on your camera next time. We might be able to see what your photographing then ! :lol:

Paul

gtirneil

youngsyp said:
Try using the 'macro' setting on your camera next time. We might be able to see what your photographing then ! :lol:

Paul
It is on smart **** :der:

Im just shit at taking pictures :lol:

P

pulsarboby

i would fit it too!
its damaged as you can see but i doubt whether itll effect performance that much tbh. and at £350 i would say its a good price! slap it on and try it, as karl said its just a poor airfilter (probably hks mushroom) thats allowed debris to hit the blades

noriek2003

pulsar-gtir said:
well for that to happen you'd have to be the unluckiest man in the universe..

just ask your self :

whats the chances of bits of turbine blade getting spat out the exhaust, whilst driving backwards, bouncing off the floor, up pass all that stuff in the engine bay and getting sucked into your intake the day you decided not to run an airfilter ?

P

pulsar-gtir

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: Ask yourself...............How a turbo works!!! :rtfm:

CLICKY:dh:

noriek2003

wow.....a newb with an attutide whos to dumb to see the mistake they have made even when its pointed out to them now theres a rare thing on this forum..lol.

read the article yourself fella, you might learn something.

P

pulsar-gtir

noriek2003 said:
well for that to happen you'd have to be the unluckiest man in the universe..

just ask your self :

whats the chances of bits of turbine blade getting spat out the exhaust, whilst driving backwards, bouncing off the floor, up pass all that stuff in the engine bay and getting sucked into your intake the day you decided not to run an airfilter ?
NOW READ THE STUPID ****WIT STATMENT YOU MADE AND NOW EXCEPT THAT YOUR WRONG!!!

I'M THE NEWBIE?....................I@VE BEEN A MEMBER FOR YEARS BUT I KEEP GETTING BANNED PULSARMARK.......ALANA......PACE..........AND NOW PULSAR-GTIR...........

AND NOW THE MODS WILL BAN THIS ACCOUNT BUT WHO GIVE 3 FOOKS AS I'M UNDER TWO OTHER USERNAMES.....

IF YOU EVEN HAD HALF AN R TO TALK ABOUT THEN I MIGHT BE NICE ENOUGH TO LISTEN TO YOUR RETARDED LITTLE COMMENTS BUT AS YOUR THE NEWBIE BEST YOU BLOW ME!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: