intercooler size?

leemh

hi as i'm thinking about having a front mount intercooler.but making it myself(i.e pipe run)would this intercoller size be ok including core size's what;s the standad tmic sizes?

• OVERALL SIZE = Length 27" x Height 5.5" x Width 2.5"
  • CORE SIZE = Length 21.5" x Height 5.5" x Width 2.5"
  • INLET/OUTLET DIAMETER = 2.25"
the reason i ask is cause i DO NOT want to cut the front bumper out,so want to hide the fmic behind bumper​

Last edited:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Do a search mate, it's all out there :-D

oh and why would you want to know the size of the TMIC, haven't you got one ?

you can actually cut one of the end tanks off the standard top mount and turn it round that will fit behind the standard uncut bumper surround and I think the Pace front mount kit fits in the there as well

B

Beachsleeper

If youve took your aircon out, I dont think you need to cut the bumper to fit a standard frontmount, Much if anything. If im wrong someone will shout.

leemh

no temptaion matt just never wanted to cut the bumper.dont mind trimming the back of it but want stealth look

jameswrx2

I had one of the ebay kits on mine and it fitted without removing the aircon and a bit of trimming to the standard bumper (giving original appearance)

I wouldn't bother dicking around making a kit when you can get the lot for peanuts.

jameswrx2

why?

It's a small universal ebay intercooler.. it's £100, by the time you've messed around with buying pipework and paying for it to be welded, bought silicone hoses you'll prob end up spending at least what a specific kit costs.

It looks too small to me anyway.

Braveheart

jameswrx2 said:
why?

It's a small universal ebay intercooler.. it's £100, by the time you've messed around with buying pipework and paying for it to be welded, bought silicone hoses you'll prob end up spending at least what a specific kit costs.

It looks too small to me anyway.
I'd consider buying a FMIC kit just for the plumbing parts there that well priced...;-)

Trip

leemh said:
this is what the standad one looks like modded by grs motorsport

I emailed this company but they never replied.

TBH the 90deg custom bend on the above IC looks like amature. who has more sense then salt should know how a bend should look like. SMOOOOOTHHH

jameswrx2

The other thing about using the std intercooler is it'll look nasty behind the front bumper. They ned to actually fit and look stock IMO, there's some other kits that look weird where you see a big gap either side of a skinny intercooler, looks like a lash up job to me.

As I said, my car came with one of the ebay kits and the front bumper intact. I didn'tlike it like that myself but there's no reason why you couldn't just trim the back of the bumper centre and run it stock looking.

The reason I didn't like it was because it's all too close to the bumper and looks strange.

I ended up cutting my front bumper and can understand some who don't like the look. I'm not 100% happy, but to be honest I would be if I could get some better mesh, ie mesh that's identical to the brake duct vent mesh. I did however take time to make the cutout look stock and left a ridge around the cutout. Most people just hack too much out and it looks a bit gaping at the ends. I saw another gti-r in the flesh the other day with a front mount and it looked plain nasty, it was just badly done and finished. I wanted mine to look almost factory. Even people who don't like my car at work had to admit it looked better than before.

ie

I'm tempted to paint the intercooler black? and do something next to the end tanks to block it in more but I want it to look 'factory'

Last edited:

leemh

see that's not the look i wanted jameswrx2 i want the bumper in tact.maybe have to speak to tony at fensport see what he suggest's.

leemh

cortenay do a 8.1 litre fmic for the vauxhall C20LET which is 2.0 16v turbo.so maybe i could use one of them seems as the R has SR20DET which is 2.0 16v turbo.i'll post pic soon as i find one