How to remove / refit Turbo

nex

there is a abstard bolt on this side too!? which one is it so I know what to look out for as my engine went pop last night...... :\

I

iomegalinux

i can be proud of myself i'm not a mecanic and it took 2 hours and the tubby was in my hand. I had to remove it, because the turbo was falling appart the manifold, the 4 "lock" didn't do their job.
but in the process of re-installing i strip one of the manifold stud. so i'll have to retap and maybe use an heli-coil.

but i cannot think in someone doing this without removing the rad. except the mess of the coolant, it's almost 1000x better wihtout the rad in place.
but be sure to have a 14mm "short wrench" you should be good from there.

Tim

All I can say is i'm glad i lift weights, as getting that hidden manifold nut off wasn't easy!!

williams

wtf? how is it taking 2 hours to get it off? my fans are on the front of my rad so i dont need to remove rad or fans but it takes me about 15 - 20 mins to remove turbo.

PulsarLee

Hi Guys,

Im currently re-building my head and changing a piston if its damaged. joy......lol

Re the turbo replacement, i think ill remove the turbo with the manifold and leave the oil and water feeds connected to the turbo - remove the engine side. Does anyone have any pics of the feeds and studs that i need to remove from the turbo elbow?

Anyone any pics of this B/stard bolt mentioned and will i need to remove if im leaving the tubby connected to the manifold?

Thanks fellas

Lee

Trondelond

There are four "feeds" you have to loosen. Two oil and two water. One oil feed is on the front of the block, on the drivers side. There's a water line on the back of the turbo which connects to the block in the same area as that oil feed. The others are easy to spot. One water line on the front of the turbo, and the oil return on the bottom. :)
You don't need to remove any of the studs from the turbo, at least if it's the standard elbow. You may just as well keep the elbow on while lifting the assembly out.

Yes, you have to remove the bastard bolt if you're removing the manifold from the block. Don't worry, you'll find it just fine without any pics. It may help if you have an extra 14mm spanner that you can cut/bend to make access easier.

PulsarLee

Thanks Trondelond,

Do you have any pics of the feeds mentioned? Also is the bastard bolt the centre exhaust manifold nut? As I have already removed this with a 14mm ring spanner and have the bruised hand to prove!! lol.

If i dont need to remove the turbo from the manifold - great, however, where do i disconnect the turbo from in order that I can lift it straight out with the manifold?

Sorry if im being thick but dont want to disturb anything that I dont need to.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Lee

Trip

If i dont need to remove the turbo from the manifold - great, however, where do i disconnect the turbo from in order that I can lift it straight out with the manifold?
Remove compressor outlet feeding intercooler
Remove compressor inlet coming from MAF/Filter
Disconnect downpipe from elbow
Disconnect water feed from block side. Banjo on the left looking at it from the front. Block the water feed to stop coolant dripping
Disconnect oil feed from block side. Banjo on the left looking at it from the front. block this feed too
Disconnect water outlet from turbo side. Banjo closest to you
Disconnect oil drain from engine side. Its a rubber pipe with hose clips underneath. Block it, not to allow crap get into it.
Remove the 8 nuts holding the manifold to the head.

P

pulsarboby

just take anything off thats in your way lee.....when you start stripping it it becomes all very clear what needs to be removed.

you can see whats holding things in place when you go to lift parts out so just undo whatever it is, you wont cause any damage in doing so youll just make life a little easier

have some faith in yourself and you will be fine;-)

Trondelond

Thanks Trondelond,

Do you have any pics of the feeds mentioned? Also is the bastard bolt the centre exhaust manifold nut? As I have already removed this with a 14mm ring spanner and have the bruised hand to prove!! lol.

Trip's got it down there, and the bastard bolt is the one you're describing. I'm guessing a big percentage of R's are running without it. :)

To remove the turbo from the manifold, you have to remove the entire manifold/turbo assembly from the engine. To my great annoyance when all I wanted was to change the gasket between the turbo and manifold.

It'll take a little while the first time, as the order of things to be removed might not be clear. It'll be a lot faster the second time. :)

PulsarLee

Hi,

Thanks for the additional info, to be honest, im removing the turbo with the manifold as there is no problem there. also im leaving the oil and water feeds connected to the turbo where possible. I dont want to disturb the turbo from the elbow if possible and thought about leaving the turtbo connected to the elbow and disconnecting the down pipe from the flexi front??

does this make sense anyone..lol

Cheers,

lee

PulsarLee

Hi Guys,
Im looking at buying a new head gasket from Nissan and also the exhaust and std turbo elbow gaskets....
Dont suppose anyone has any ideas of the part numbers for these, costs or comments?

Cheers,

Lee

shroom

buggering my back up bending over the thing is my biggest worry, otherwise everything is pretty easy peasy

PulsarLee

Ok,

Got the tubby and exhaust manifold off together :). Whats the next step before i start and remove the rocker cover? Also the inlet manifold etc are all still in place. im hoping i can leave these in place?

thanks,

Lee