How much boost?

J

JayRA

Is it safe for me to run 1.2 bar on standard internals and turbo? I have a Walbro fuel pump and HKS AFR fitted at the moment, should i be looking at getting an uprated fuel pressure reg and bigger injectors to? Anything else i need to consider?
Cheers guys :-D

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Yes

You can find the answers to all these using the Search as its been asked a million times before! ;)

J

JayRA

RishiGTiR said:
Yes

You can find the answers to all these using the Search as its been asked a million times before! ;)
Sorry, did search old posts but just ended up getting more confused :doh: Have already got uprated clutch, so if you guys say it should be all good as is then up she goes! Out of interest what is the max the standard injectors can take (so there at about 95%)

Rishi

I used to run 1.55 - 1.6bar on the std injectors with the std turbo.. Wouldn't recommend it though.. 1.4bar should be ok but if you are going to play with the boost then its always a good idea to check the AFR through the range just to make sure you aren't running lean..

Last edited:
J

JayRA

Woww, thats alot of boost! Planning on a trip to Thor to have everything checked and set up perfect, just trying to find out how much i can squeeze out safely, now im thinking i'll aim for 1.4 bar! :-D

steve963

see my post on Graphs from Emanage, air flow meter maxes out at 1.2bar and injectors run at 100%, does still run rich though!

J

JayRA

RishiGTiR said:
I used to run 1.55 - 1.6bar on the std injectors..
How is this possible if 'STEVE963' is hitting 100% injector duty at 1.2 bar!? now im confused lol :doh:

Rishi

JayRA said:
How is this possible if 'STEVE963' is hitting 100% injector duty at 1.2 bar!? now im confused lol :doh:
Well i didn't really need to add in any more fueling. Mine was running fine.. AFR's looked good throughout. Fitting a Walbro is usually enough to see your car through to 1.2 - 1.4bar on the std turbo and injectors as it runs quite rich as it is. I think at 1.55bar i was running about 2% - 3% extra fueling through the mid-range and that was it.

Clocked me a 12.1 and 12.2 on the old 1/4mile on that setup too..

Ginga also did the same. Ran 1.6bar on the std engine and turbo and clocked the same times on a 1/4mile.. I also remember Bruce Spence running 1.6bar out of a std turbo at one point.

J

JayRA

Lol, thanks for all the help guys appreciate it, think ill aim for 1.2 bar for now untill i get round to bigger turbo,forged internals etc etc :thumbsup:

steve963

i think mine hits 100% injector because the air flow meter is maxed out, still runs rich though, so could up the boost more than 1.2 maybe

i have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, so if i ran more pressure than standard then wind the boost up to 1.4 (with everything else standard apart from clutch) is that ok then?
Reading this thread; if the injectors are on 100% at 1.2bar onwards, surely if i up the fuel pressure this will overcome this?
Cheers.

youngsyp

jambo_gtir said:
i have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, so if i ran more pressure than standard then wind the boost up to 1.4 (with everything else standard apart from clutch) is that ok then?
Reading this thread; if the injectors are on 100% at 1.2bar onwards, surely if i up the fuel pressure this will overcome this?
Cheers.
Why scrimp on getting power out of the car ?! It's a huge false economy. Spend nothing on the tuning and a fortune on the rebuild.
Spend the money and get it set up properly. The engine will last a lot longer. ;-)
Paul

anyone that thinks a rebuilt engine with a set of forges make a engine any more reliable is crazy.

what makes 1bar any better then 0.9 or 1.1? the truth is you need to find the right setup for your own car, play with it its all part of learning and having fun.