HELP PLEASE (break line prob)

samgtr

hello every one, im in a bit of a problem,i was fitting braided hoses on to the car and snapped the driver side brake line, does anyone have 1 spare, i can collect?
whats the best solution?????

how the hell would i get it out and put it in with out bending or damaging it, please need advice

thanks in advance

P

pulsarboby

get one made up sam as i suggested on phone! still a booger to get at though.

PaulB

you must have a brake line bob !!

You could just take the line off the car and take into any local motor factors and theyl make you one up. Just try to keep the shape about the same so he can copy it.

O

Odin

It's going to be a right b1tch of a job that's for sure :doh: :cry: , I broke one of my rears a few years ago, And thought never mind it wont be to hard to fix :cry: , How wrong was I :doh: :cry: , The bl00dy thing went from the back of the car to a distribution block behind the engine, So I had to strip it right out :evil: .

I would think the fronts do the same thing, Mind you it's a lot shorter :lol: , I will be a right pig to do with the engine in place, I just replaced my master cylinder ones which go to the same block behind the engine, But my engine is out at the moment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Good luck matey ;-) , I wouldn't fancy it as a job :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , Maybe you could make a join in the old line if it's in good condition.

Rob

P

pulsarboby

PaulB said:
you must have a brake line bob !!

You could just take the line off the car and take into any local motor factors and theyl make you one up. Just try to keep the shape about the same so he can copy it.

i will have one next week or possibly friday if you want to pick it up sam, you can have it for nowt!

but as odin says bitch of a job to get to, be prepared for some cussing:lol:

samgtr

im gonna try my best to get it out tommorow, probably have to remove alot of stuff, do you think the manifold will have to come out?

thanks bob il give you a call on friday then.

samgtr

Odin said:
It's going to be a right b1tch of a job that's for sure :doh: :cry: , I broke one of my rears a few years ago, And thought never mind it wont be to hard to fix :cry: , How wrong was I :doh: :cry: , The bl00dy thing went from the back of the car to a distribution block behind the engine, So I had to strip it right out :evil: .

I would think the fronts do the same thing, Mind you it's a lot shorter :lol: , I will be a right pig to do with the engine in place, I just replaced my master cylinder ones which go to the same block behind the engine, But my engine is out at the moment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Good luck matey ;-) , I wouldn't fancy it as a job :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , Maybe you could make a join in the old line if it's in good condition.

Rob
how could i make a join in it, would it be safe???

P

pulsarboby

you will need a pipe flarer kit to do that.

just bite the bullet and do the job properly, when its done its done, then you can give yourself a pat on the back:lol:

PaulB

thought u would help him out ;-)

You should change ya name bob, ScrapperGTIR sounds quite appropriate :lol:

You get payment for the seat frames ?

P

pulsarboby

yep thanks paul, i will have them in post for you on friday, im off to bonny scotland on saturday:lol:

Mmmm! scrappy by name scruffy by nature:lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

samgtr

well i have just managed to remove the brake line, luckily it goes to this thing in the centre of the fire wall rather than all the way to the passenger side.

it was not easy to say the least, had to remove top part of manifold along with lots of little screws and fixings above the firewall, also have very scratched and bruised hand and arms, but the though of sorting it out is pushing me on :)

the question i have is, can i make a braided hose instead of a metal pipe????

if i cant, will it be ok to shorten the pipe slightly so i can attach the braided hose of the caliper from within the engine compartment rather than wheel arch, because the way the pipe bends when going through to wheel arch will be very difficult to get in without damaging and bending

Thanks in advance

ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW OFF A SHOP IN eAST LONDON THAT CAN MAKE ME THE PIPE I REALLY DONT KNOW WHO TO TRY?????

Last edited:

MarkTurbo

samgtr said:
the question i have is, can i make a braided hose instead of a metal pipe????

if i cant, will it be ok to shorten the pipe slightly so i can attach the braided hose of the caliper from within the engine compartment rather than wheel arch, because the way the pipe bends when going through to wheel arch will be very difficult to get in without damaging and bending
Your better off with metal pipe ;-) Have you taken the rubber grommet out where the brakeline goes through the strut? With that out the way there should be loads of room to get the brakeline through, then just slide the grommet back on afterwards. It dosent matter if you bend the pipe out of shape a bit to get it through the hole, it wont damage it (unless you're a heavy handed f**kwit :lol: ) and you can just bend it back once its in place ;-)

samgtr

ok thats souns ok, do you know of any shope that can make me one up, will my local car part dealer able to make one,

also can i re-use intake manifold gasket as i only removed the top half of it?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
samgtr said:
also can i re-use intake manifold gasket as i only removed the top half of it?
You mean the thin metal one ??

If so as long as it's not damaged, yes you can

samgtr

thanks for your help mat, fitted the copper pipe for the driver side and finished everything up only to reallise that the passenger pipe is been damaged aswell

no way will i be removing passenger pipe as it was a fecking ball ache doing the driver side, so will hopefully get it flared .
fooooooooooking rust bucket car!!!!!

P

pulsarboby

when all goes bad, sit down and have a nice cup of tea:lol:

samgtr

had about 15 cups of it 2 days, every time i got stuck i took a breather , normally i would carry on till i break something,

bob do you think it will be ok with the new flare on the pipe?