Fuel pump relay

bopper

Thanx Ed i just tried looking at that but its just too confusing for me, i guess if on-one knows i will try and get a friend to look at the diagrams for me

Fusion Ed

If you can provide more info I can help, but your not being very clear. Is it actually labelled pin 1?

bopper

yes it says pin 1 on the relay, ive got another post going titled put the engine back together and wont start, the problem ive got edd is the engine is back together but its not getting any fuel the pump isnt getting a signal it seems the relay has the two lives but doesnt have the earth, do you know where it takes its feed from?? or any other ideas??

Fusion Ed

That is correct it does have two lives and no direct earth. Its provided with an earth via the ECU (that turns it on) and the other live is sent through the relay switch to the motor when its on. So there is no 'real' earth as such.

bopper

also edd a little change of subject ive got a power fc that i need mapping so i will be coming to see you once the cars working.

Fusion Ed

The best way to check this, and its a very simple visual way, is to remove the cover on the relay so its internals are exposed. you can then physically push it on to check that the fuel pump side of things is working correctly.

I presume it does not prime at all, or click on and off when you turn the ignition on? It would seem if that's the case that the ECU is either not responding right, or its not powered on right. Its one of these things that I could really show you quite quickly how to do this but to actually explain is a bit more tricky.

However I just have had another thought. Find pin 104 on the ECU. Turn on the ignition, wait a few seconds then measure the voltage at pin 104 to ground on the car. It should read around 12v. However when you first turn the ignition on it should read 0v ish for a couple of seconds then go back to 12v, if you try to start the car it should go to 0v whilst trying to start. This is the fuel pump pin. If you ground this pin i.e. take a wire from the back of pin 104 and hold it to ground on something the fuel pump should turn on.

Ed

bopper

no not yet to be honest what i done was try and start it and it was the fuel pump not working that i noticed first but i didnt go into everything else i just assumed it was a single problem but earlier i thought it could be the ecu isnt powering up at tall and its just i didnt notice anything else i will check tonight to see if this is the case

Keira

simple things first ;)

theres nothing like spending hours trying to solve a problem, ending up with the hump cos its not sorted only to find out it was something silly ;)

bopper

Agreed, I havent had time to go down the garage today but will try tomorrow, so if it turns out to be the ecu is not powering up, where does the ecu get its signal from, im guessing it has to be something taco based, maybe distributor but not really to sure.

Keira

signal for what ?

the pump primes when the ignition is switched...

see if the relay sorts it, if not you need to start checking connectors, continuity between terminals and other such boring things (pg ef-ec-597 in the fsm)

bopper

but the pump gets it signal from the relay, which gets its signal from the ecu which gets it signal from where??