first gti-r

sam porter

hi guys im looking to get my first turbo beast and want it to be a GTI-R!, i should have £1500 by september and wanted to know what kinda condition i should be looking for with that kinda money, i would like tax and test with it too. also posted on here a while ago to see if somebody could take me for a spin in one a guy from southend said he would but i have been really busy lately and never got a chance to call him, is he still about?. thanks.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
i should have £1500 by september and wanted to know what kinda condition i should be looking for with that kinda money,

Not good I'm guessing.

Can you only afford that much? If so, insurance, repairs etc could cripple you. Try saving more and get a half decent one. I'd go £2.5+

John

Not good I'm guessing.

Can you only afford that much? If so, insurance, repairs etc could cripple you. Try saving more and get a half decent one. I'd go £2.5+
Yup agreed, for 1.5k your going to get something mechanically rough or that is riddled with rust. Have to remember your unlikely to see over 20mpg and insurance, servicing and general day to day maintance is high. So what im trying to say is, they aint cheap to run, so if your on a budget get something a bit more practical.

dotalot

I picked up mine for £1500 and its in pretty good order. Its not in showroom condition but theres no rust and it passed an mot straight away. All it needed was an exhaust. I have pictures of it up on here if you wanna look. Plenty of dogs about yoo so be careful, but everyones short of cash this weather so its the right time to look for a cheap one.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
they can be found for that kind of money, BUT only if you know what you are looking for. there is lots of dogs out there, if I was looking for my first R i'd be looking around the 3 - 4k mark just to be sure I get a decent useable one

JIMMYBACK

1500.....:shock::doh: are you kidding min id say 2.5k
id like to say they went for more but in this current climate it not gonna happen:oops:
like it been said you gotta think about maintenance insurance ans petrol which is still not cheap

sam porter

i have seen them go on ebay for £1500, i dont care if its that much of a shed as im training to be a mech and have a workshop with another 2 mechanics who have 50 years of experience with these kind of cars. i want something as a project and i think starting with this kind of car at a young age is just right, i admit im not loaded but i have the money to run this car. and insurance can be paid for monthly and is less than when i first started driving in a 1.1.

Tim

I put £50 of fuel in my car and am nearly at half a tank in around 50 miles ... granted the 50 miles were alot of fun but i certainly wouldn't want to be running it every day.

Petrol prices are set to go up by about another 5p a litre at the end of the month ... think long and hard before committing to something which costs so much to run!

How old are you anyway?

gtirjoey

go for it mate it will get expensive but your only young once!!
and as you say when i was 18 insurance cost me 1600 for my 1.2 clio, or about 600 houndred more for the big P. id rather pay 2200 to drive a car i want.
who cares about fuel econimy, my girls micra will do at least 40 to the gallon but its a boring piece of sh*t
as long as your still livin at home with parents its affordable. GO FOR IT!

PulsarTom

I got my pulsar when i was 19, and it did cripple me, insurance and running the thing wasnt good, that was two years ago now and things are alot better insurance wise but worse petrol price wise! My friend bought a starlet before a pulsar and he did the right thing because of ages and that(i should have took a note out of his book)

darkyGTI-R

I just wish i bought an R years ago when i was a teen, but saying that the modding bit is so much fun at my more experienced age and less insurance group of course

Tim

There are a lot more thing to life than driving a 20 year old unreliable shit box..

I've wasted more than my fair share of money on cars ... i don't have regrets but i do wish i had been a little more careful with my money when i was younger!

karl@sr20

you should get one for £2000 with mods,un if u got means to fix it when it breaks go for it. get one before the prices go up:shock:,ive got two:lol:

sam porter

haha second lot of replys were alot more positive, im 21 years old, still living at home, and all i have wanted since i passed my test was a turbo'd car preferably with 4WD, i have a 106 xsi at the moment, dont get me wrong its a great car and i love it, its just quick enough and handles great, i cleaned it today and think fuck i really like this car and it too is a 17 year old shitbox and in almost a year of ownership not one thing has gone wrong with it, but i know i want something quicker.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
My son is 20 and still lives at home. He wrote his second to last car off by driving too quickly in a 1.4 in the wet. He'd be dead by now if he'd had a 2L turbo.

If the Xsi is as good as you've said, why change it. The Gtir might shatter your illusions. in the reliability stakes, although a decent 1bar one would make you think your Xsi had a blown engine.

mprice501

I decided to wait til i was 25 to get a gtir purely because i didnt want to pay stupid money to insure it, had a load of money saved up so if it broke i could get it fixed quickly although i had a bit of trouble trying to find someone who was willing to work on it, also the fuel cost meant it was best suited to keep in the garage and have it as a second car.