first gti-r

saddler

@ £1500 a starlet gt is a better bet.. petrol at low boost is very good and there super reliable..

guider

i was 21 when i bought my first R. i lived at home with parents and was on decent money. it was in and out of hi-teq(tuners in wigan) over 3 years and cost me a bomb.how ever, i sold it on and loved it so much im back 4 years later.

you work as a mechanic and have that as a major advantage. go for it mate you only live once. live for today!:thumbsup:

an extra £500 could do you wonders though

I'm really glad I waited to get my Pulsar. I wanted one since I was 17, and waited 8 years before I bought it. Every time I came to change car over those 8 years I looked at getting one but decided the running cost etc. would just cripple me. But waiting has meant that I could buy a good example and give it all the love and care it deserves rather than have to scrape by and cut corners when things go wrong. Also I now have alot more driving experience having had a few different hot hatches before moving up to the Pulsar.

If you really want one then you'll get one eventually. If you're just after one because its a cheap 4wd 2l turbo car, then its probabley not the car for you any way.

Last edited:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
i have a 106 xsi at the moment, dont get me wrong its a great car and i love it, its just quick enough and handles great, i cleaned it today and think fuck i really like this car and it too is a 17 year old shitbox and in almost a year of ownership not one thing has gone wrong with it, but i know i want something quicker.
Screw it, stick a GTi lump in it, Ecosse intake, Pugsport exhaust and Janspeed mani, some cat cams, with head work, balanced engine, GpN/ Bilstein suspension, strip it out, whack on some GTi-6 brakes you'll be laughing. Even think about a re-map once done and it'll fly.

I spent many years in the company of 106’s and despite what people say they handle well and power to weight can also be a big benefit.
If I smashed up my GTiR tomorrow to the point of no return then I would look at going back to a GTi just for its handling, lightness, its great down the back lanes and can still offer competitive performance :thumb:

dotalot

Screw it, stick a GTi lump in it, Ecosse intake, Pugsport exhaust and Janspeed mani, some cat cams, with head work, balanced engine, GpN/ Bilstein suspension, strip it out, whack on some GTi-6 brakes you'll be laughing. Even think about a re-map once done and it'll fly.

I spent many years in the company of 106’s and despite what people say they handle well and power to weight can also be a big benefit.
If I smashed up my GTiR tomorrow to the point of no return then I would look at going back to a GTi just for its handling, lightness, its great down the back lanes and can still offer competitive performance :thumb:
It still wont be a Gti-R though.

mprice501

Now that i have owned a GTIR i wouldnt consider chopping it in for something other than a faster car, it just wouldnt feel the same and you will hate it

Tim

I've gone from a 400hp RX7 to my standard Pulsar .. it's all about useable power in my opinion and i wasn't talented enough to take advantage of 400 hp through the rear wheels.

HP doesn't equal fun! But then i'm not an advocate of just driving fast in a straight line, so i guess it depends what you like!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Now that i have owned a GTIR i wouldnt consider chopping it in for something other than a faster car, it just wouldnt feel the same and you will hate it
HP doesn't equal fun! But then i'm not an advocate of just driving fast in a straight line, so i guess it depends what you like!
That pretty much sums it up. It also depends on what you do with your car. If you like dragging down the local bypass then great, but it shows no skills.
Down the back lanes there is a limit that bhp can give you.

I had a "do" many years back in my 106 with a 34GTR down some back lanes, unbelievably the skyline could not get away, partly down to its lagg and when it did get going it was back on the brakes for the corners.
In the 106 I was on the power earlier, later on the brakes and cornering it was about the same.

Afterwards he pulled over to chat, nice guy too and took it on the chin. He told me the spec of the car, which at the time made no sense to me whatsoever. However we both agreed that once he had some open ground he would have obliterated me due to his outright power.

At the end of the day just because you have a powerful car does not mean its fast.
Going to something with less power can be beneficial and more fun; you just have to see the positives and also chose/spec a vehicle that is tailored to your needs.

williams

tbh, i wouldnt bother with the cams and the remap, doesnt make enough of a difference for what you pay imo. had the 708s and a chipwizards remap and 153hp vts was only 0.5 quicker on the 1/4 and not much quicker round the track than a 'standard' vts.
still got my vts nad the pulsar but havent getting the engine in the pulsar yet to see what they are like to drive :doh: not long though hopefully. i've wanted 1 for years and got a 'GOOD' deal on this 1. so aint going to let it go. just dying to get it built up and running properly.

Tim

was only 0.5 quicker on the 1/4 and not much quicker round the track than a 'standard' vts.
That's subjective .. you might not be that quick around the track :p

My friends standard VTS back in the day would run 14.7's all day long, he was good at driving in a straight line though haha!

sam porter

as i say i love the xsi, but the power im gonna get from spending what £2,000 building up an engine i could get a decent pulsar with the power and drivetrain i want, plus im about to do my last bike test and get a 600 which is no doubt gonna make me not want that car even more.

Go for it mate, if you want it just get it, and if you decide its too expensive just cut your losses and sell up! I only bought mine to take to the nurburgring but decided i prefered it to my original car so sold that one instead! I'm a mechanic and fix my own, and when i get stuck these guys on hear always have the answer!