factory vs aftermarket intercooler

E

Evil_GtiR

Any big difference in performance if we get an after market front mount intercooler comparing to a modded front mount factory intercooler?

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
The aftermarket front mounts can be upto nearly twice the size of the standard intercooler, so that'll give you more surface area to cool the boost charge with, and cooler air = more power ! :!: :twisted:

There is the small matter of air-con - some front mounts are designed so air con can be kept, others mean you have to junk it. People say that the larger intercooler gives more lag, others say that's not the case.

The standard top mount intercooler is good once you are moving ( so cold air is passing over it ) so the cheapest and possibly easiest solution may be to front mount the standard one ( and save $ on a front mount ) or keep the standard one and invest in water injection.

Anyone else got ote to contribute :?:

S

samellio

I put the forge kit on my old car and despite costing the best part of 1k i got no noticable difference.. If anything the car didn't feel as sharp :cry:
If your going to run a lot of boost (1.2++++bar) this mod may be worth it but otherwise i don't think it's worth doing.
A freind runs 256bhp@the wheels with the standard intercooler and has no problems.
Sam

B

bean

donpulsar said:
The standard top mount intercooler is good once you are moving ( so cold air is passing over it ) so the cheapest and possibly easiest solution may be to front mount the standard one ( and save $ on a front mount ) or keep the standard one and invest in water injection.
I've always wondered about this. people say the stock IC is fine once you're moving, surely that's all that matters anyway? :?

I don't think I'd worry about losing boost when I'm stationery :wink: , to be honest I reckon the stock IC is quite big and you only need to go front mount once you're running silly boost and have done loads of other mods.

Just my 2 pence.

A

Anonymous

why is the stock cooler so bad anyway ?
Just because of its location ? Or does it have more problems, like restricted flow or something ?

C

Crazy

Just because of its location ? Or does it have more problems, like restricted flow or something ?
That is what I was wondering, I have an ARC top mounted intercooler 8) and I was planning on adding water-injection eventually as I thought that the only downside to having a top mount was because they suffer from heat soak?????

Was also told that my ARC top mount can handle upto 330bhp :wink:

B

bean

WJ said:
The flow will be restricted compared to an FMIC as there's less surface area in direct contact with cold air, i.e. it's lying down and not upright.

Other than that, it looks like a decent design for air flow but as it sits on top of the engine it will absorb heat from it.

C

Crazy

So my ARC 8) top mount should be fine as soon as I get the water injection kit! :wink:

M

Mikey

When i had my top mount with a act gauge the charge temp took a good 5-10 mins of driving after being stuck in traffic to come down to a coolish temp and was never proper cold (about 10 degrees above ambiant) but now with my front mount it never goes much higher than the outside temp no matter how long im stuck in traffic.

W

waiwai8

the standard intercooler is still like 3 times bigger than the impreza ones anyway! dunno how big the supra ones are but surely they are ok for like 300bhp i reckon?

ryan

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
samellio said:
I put the forge kit on my old car and despite costing the best part of 1k i got no noticable difference.. If anything the car didn't feel as sharp :cry:
If your going to run a lot of boost (1.2++++bar) this mod may be worth it but otherwise i don't think it's worth doing.
Sam
I put the Forge on mine too, but as I'm running standard boost I didn't expect any difference. I got it as it was cheap. :wink:
Like Sam says, if you run higher boost you'll appreciate the difference it make.

P

purplemonster

im running a huge intercooler and surely if my AIR temp is generally lower all the time that will aid power and protect the engine better anyway,

and as the intercooler is big it dose seem to work better the more boost i am running ,the air seems to measure colder the more boost i add ? and i think with a bigger turbo and more volume of air but the same pressure it will work better still
the air temp is about the same as the ambient all the time which is pretty good i think

so i am now shopping for a hybrid T4 with external waste gate ,yes a bit more lag but should bit 350ish at about 1 bar who knows ? ?

ROBERT

S

samellio

Both my car and my freinds car that runs 256bhp@the wheels had temperature readings taken at the plenum chamber whilst on the rollers..
My oil temp went over 110degrees c but the charge temp was fine according to the operator..(and on freinds car).
Both readings were with standard intercooler and turbo running 1 and 1.25 bar consecutively..
Pointless getting fmic unless your going to push more bhp than this..
With 256bhp@the wheels the sunny will just brake the teeth in the gearbox :?
Save your money and keep the IC standard :wink:
Sam

turblio

I run a ARC top mount and it cools down quicker than a standard top mount due to the better (and larger) cooling fin layout I am also just about
to fit a charge temp sender so I will post the temps once done
Frank

C

Crazy

Make sure that you post up the results because I also have an ARC 8) top mount and I would be very interested in the results!

ian c

TOP v's FRONT

well, some more fat to chew on...

before i fitted my FMIC way back when....i was running standard boost, large cone filter and mongoose....car was great...then fitted it, went for test drive.....definitely more lag - which is obvious....look at the pipwork...

standard, total pipework length is minimal, straight out of turbo, through the ic and into the inlet - and straightish too....then, FMIC - in total mine is about 2m of piping....thats a big difference so when you put your foot down you notice it......but, when you get going you can tell its working better - i could keep up with more powerful cars (about 20-30bhp)

BUT, since then, the boost was upped to 1.0 - obviously lag won't change but performance did....car is now quick, but i started to look at what i could do to help it....

so recently i've junked the standard induction piping (filter to tubbie) in favour of a much shorter and better position....its a 100deg bend, repositions my filter to the right of the fuel rail so it gets fed straight off the bonnet vent...I can honestly say that this made a bigger difference than going from TMIC to FMIC.... gets so much more air - induction noise is up by 100% - obviously fuel economy is worse, but who cares - i'm not gay! IF YOU HAVE FMIC - CHANGE IT TODAY - cost me peanuts

IAN C

G

GTI-R Kid

Any pics of the relocation Ian? I kinda have an idea of where you're on about but i'd like to see pics too if possible?

R

Rab

Does it not draw in warmer air? Does this give you any DET problems at high engine loads?

Cheers! :D

And pics would be funnky!

ian c

induction

i don't think its taking in warmer air....what i did was wait for an icy winter mornin, drove the car to work (20 miles +) and then looked at the bonnet.....there was one area behind the central vent which was still iced up....so i moved the filter there!

not sure on DET - why would it?

no pics here, will sort monday - and before you ask - no i ain't telling which other fast turbo car the part came from on ebay at the cost of £1.

Ian C

E

Evil_GtiR

For guys who have factory top mounts:
At higher than 30 degrees celcius on a very very hot day, do you guys have any problems boosting your car?

Because on my gtir, I have problem boosting on a very very hot day but it becomes fine at night or early morning.