Engine won't start

OleH

I just had an epiphany!
The ignition test I did was with the Link software, therefore I did not actually crank the engine. This means that the rotor was standing still, and therefore only the one spark plug got power :doh:

I.e. the ignition parts should be fine.

Any ideas for checking the timing?

OleH

Have you been in touch with link im sure they would be helpfull :thumbsup:
I've started a thread on the Link ECU help forum mate, but they can only answer on questions about the Link ECU and software.
And since you guys are an oracle about these cars I've tried my luck here as well :-D

Gtirchris

Just out of curiosity mate, you haven't got the amplfier plug ( i think ) and the reverse light plugs the wrong way round have you? As i seem to remember this being done before and causing no spark.

OleH

Just out of curiosity mate, you haven't got the amplfier plug ( i think ) and the reverse light plugs the wrong way round have you? As i seem to remember this being done before and causing no spark.
Hmm, not sure where I can find them... I better look in the workshop manual.
And I do have spark.

I'm gonna have to double check the plugs again :lol:

bensmith907

So what 'is' it doing?
Turning over I guess? Is the fuel pump priming? Is there any splutters or short periods of ignition?

Sounds very silly but you won't be the first- have you put a blank or stuffed something into your inlet manifold/intercooler to stop water/tools/etc getting in there?

Sorry to suggest that last one but I remember someone had a simular problem last year and this turned out to be the case

Jon Olds

i suggested the 'rag stuffed in' scenario also, about 4 pages ago. basics: you need compression (100 psi min?), you need a flow of air in, measured by the AFM, you need fuel injected in to mix with the air, you need a spark just before tdc on the compression stroke, you need a flow path for the exhaust gas out. This process must repeat and be correctly for all four cyls, following the firing order

OleH

call me totally stupid but have you acyually tried pouring a very SMALL amount of petrol neat into the inlet manifold directly if it has spark ???
at least this way you can see if it runs and maybe narrow your search down a little , could be gummed up injectors possibly or no pulse ?? (not re-read the thread to see if this has been covered before )

worth a try as if its got spark it should only need fuel to run albeit shortly

just be careful doing it though
I won't call you stupid, all suggestions are appreciated :-D

What is a small amount? Teaspoon? Coffe cup?
I did find that the injectors were unable to fasten with a click, so they are just put on there. I might find a way to fasten them.

OleH

also do the link have switches or settings for 4,6or 8 cyl motors that could have been moved accidently ,not too well up on knowledge with link ecu but remember this happening with a friend of mines aftermarket ecu as was set to 6 cylinders for some reason when his motor was 4 and as such wouldnt run ??

grasping at straws really but just thought id ask lol ?
I had a look on the settings in the software,and it was correct.

I'm thinking about saving the map I have, and then load a base map and see if I can get it running then.

OleH

So what 'is' it doing?
Turning over I guess? Is the fuel pump priming? Is there any splutters or short periods of ignition?

Sounds very silly but you won't be the first- have you put a blank or stuffed something into your inlet manifold/intercooler to stop water/tools/etc getting in there?

Sorry to suggest that last one but I remember someone had a simular problem last year and this turned out to be the case
It turns over. The first turn it sounds like it's firing, but then it does not fire at all. The result has been the same all the times, no short periods of ignition or any signs of starting...
I have 4-4.5 bar of fuel pressure before I turn it over. I also checked the plugs and they are definetely getting fuel (the were wet)

I'll have a look mate :lol:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
I've had something like this before and it wasn't good news, engine had suffered bore wash - when I emptied the sump it was stinking of petrol, I got something like 9 litres of oil / petrol out of it. The car wouldn't fire up, changed the oil and plugs and it started, this lasted a very short while then car wouldn't start again.

OleH

After what you have just put I would pour a small neat capful of fuel directly into inlet manifold maybe 30-40 ml
Then try and turn it over
if its injectors not opening or pulsing then doing this will make the car for for a minute before cutting out due to the neat fuel you just put in it running ouout would then start checking your fuel system as this would be a possible cause

would take fuel pump out of tank and test it on the bench with a live feed and some petrol to pump and check its flow rate also
then would take out injector rail complete if possible an drank engine over to see if they are spraying

try pouring fuel down the inlet and turning it over and post back on here if it fires into life briefly
Wouldn't mess about with the map until everything else has been checked thoroughly
I will give it a go on monday, wish me luck ;-)

OleH

I've had something like this before and it wasn't good news, engine had suffered bore wash - when I emptied the sump it was stinking of petrol, I got something like 9 litres of oil / petrol out of it. The car wouldn't fire up, changed the oil and plugs and it started, this lasted a very short while then car wouldn't start again.
Sssshhh, don't jinx me :lol: