Engine Rebuild Parts

bensmith907

Some of you may already know Ive killed my engine (Loss of pressure on all pistons particulary #3). Burned out Piston rings/ Ringlands Have been suggested by some Guru's on here.

Ive Booked a ramp at work in two weeks time and me and my mate are going to Blitz it. (I have never rebuilt a piston engine Before, But My mate was a professional Rebuilder Before he moved on to Gas Turbines so we should be ok:lol:)

I guess My first 'want' Is Someone on the end of a phone who doesn't mind questions that are SR20DET specific, as my mate is asking questions beyond my knowledge and there will be no internet in our workshop to just ask on the forums.

Other wants are-

New Cosworth Gasket- 1.8mm
New Nissan Head Bolts
Rocker cover Seal.

(I can go through the normal suppliers for these bits as I want them all new but I was just wondering if anyone had bits lying about that they want to sell for a bit cheaper)

Obviously Im waiting to see the extent of the damage inside properly but I may need at short notice-

new or nearly new Pistons with Piston Rings 86mm or slightly larger if bores are damaged/worn.
Gaskets for the Bottom End.

There will be other bits im sure, please point out anything you see is missing and I will amend as I go

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

he deffo does not want them unless hes planning on doing a stroker lump.....totally useless with stock liners

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Aren't they prone to dropping and causing more problems; or is that something else?

I'm sure I remember talking to someone (possibly Stu) about this and someone else saying that there are only a few people that can fit the liners so that they stay in place... but that might be in relation to something else (like a longer stroke rather than an over-bore).

bensmith907

No one has any gaskets, rocker cover seals and Head bolts they don't need then?

Where is a good supplier of what I want then? Im looking at Horsham Developments for the Gasket, do the Head Bolts and Rockercover seal come straight from Nissan?

vss irvine

co-ordsport for a cosworth head gasket, same place for a set of arp rod bolts ( theyre only £50 odd)

a local motor factors will get you a rocker cover gasket, just order it for a sunny gti.

head bolts are the only one you might have to got to nissan for, though the price of these has tripled in the last year.

bensmith907

how much ware would you accept before you think about reboring the cylinders anyway? Im having trouble finding the limits.

red reading

time to start spending then,oil pump,pistons, rebuilt head etc etc will come out at alot to do it properley, Theres £600 just for crank bearings and forged pistons, £200 for gaskets and seals £100 for a cossie head gasket,£200 for an oil pump,£300 for machine work £150 for new head bolts,£50 for arp rod bolts,£30 for decent loctite or nissan sealent to build it........ then you have to shim the head and lap the valves/seat's too..

£1500 + for parts and machine work.............then you have to know the tricks of building them.

beau

id be interested where you find an oil pump for £200, there is no point buying anything until you have stripped it down and see what you got though, need to check crank/block first.

red reading

america or just oil pump rotors for £80 in the uk, and agree with the strip it first, you still need the above just in the correct sizes for your needs to build a decent lump

bensmith907

Thats a good breakdown of a full rebuild, thanks. Oil pumps are expensive then, anyway It'll cost me nothing to open it up and have a look at the damage. This engine was rebuilt By Bob about 10-15,000 Miles ago so im expecting to find things in a reasonable condition. (Obviously I have done damage in there, Im not in denial) but the head and crank shoud be ok (fingers crossed).

Last edited:

red reading

pistons and crank bearings.

oil pump rotors:-http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Erics-Performance-Parts/Nissan-OEM-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=11296071&_sid=76590873&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=9

oil pumps;-http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Erics-Performance-Parts/Nissan-OEM-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=11296071&_sid=76590873&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=12

not looking in the right places then beau!

red reading

And another:-http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Erics-Performance-Parts/Nissan-OEM-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=11296071&_sid=76590873&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=16.

Beau there is'nt just bob that builds engines mate, i to have built more than you know including some of the quickest sr20s in the uk mate.