embelm/Badge

pulsar_stu

quote"CUTIE FACT - Why Nissan and Prince merged.
In the mid-60's the Japanese Government suggested a number of mergers of Japanese companies to create larger companies that would be better equiped to handle any hostile takeover attempts by foreign companies. Nissan and Prince took the government's advice, and in 1966 they merged. (At the same time Toyota merged with Hino and Daihatsu.) Most of the Prince models were kept in production, but from 1967 on they were sold as Nissans or Datsuns. The Prince division still operates independently inside Nissan and is responsible for the Skyline range, including the GT-R. Today in Japan if you want to purchase a new Skyline you can not buy one from a Nissan dealer, you have to go to a Nissan Prince dealer. Even 40 years after the merger the Prince division still sells through it's own dealer network.

Im pretty sure you could buy a gtir from any nissan dealership and it wasnt only sold through the prince dealership.

So its very doubtfull that the 'P' is for prince after reading that snippet from another site.

I wouldnt of thought that half way through the production that prince would decide to put a nissan emblem on lol

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Stranger things have happened I guess, and maybe there's something to it as people keep banging on about it. - I'm just saying it makes no sense that it's for Prince when the Pulsar was never one of their models.

Additionally, you don't see Nissan putting Austin badges on other models just because they manufactured them during the 1950s, but that would be the same logic.

Having said all that, I'm sure there's someone who knows the secret story about why they're right and everyone else is a fucktard for questioning it. :doh:

Spikey

im sure i read that the pulsar was designed by prince motors or were involved and Thats why it got a P badge. Ill have to read it up again.
The change could have been to do with flop in the rally and that nissan had pulled out,
so the contract may of ended with nissan and prince? Just a guess.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
im sure i read that the pulsar was designed by prince motors or were involved and Thats why it got a P badge. Ill have to read it up again.
The change could have been to do with flop in the rally and that nissan had pulled out,
so the contract may of ended with nissan and prince? Just a guess.
The dates just don't add-up for me. If Prince became part of Nissan in 1966 why would they decide in 1990 that they were going to start badging cars as Prince again? - The first Pulsar (N10) was released in 1978 and replaced the Cherry, which technically was a Prince (as it was their competitor to the Sunny that they were developing when Nissan took over).
So for 12 years they were happy to sell the Pulsar as a Nissan, then suddenly decided it was a Prince?

As for rallying, I don't think it was that either; the 1970s Z432R (a 240Z with a Skyline S20 engine in it) rally car was a Datsun/Nissan; as was the earlier Datsun 510 (Bluebird SSS?); and even the GTi-R's daddy, the U12 Bluebird SSS-R (where the ATTESA system and the SR20DET came from) was a Nissan. - Admittedly I might be on slightly shaky ground with these, so I'm happy to be corrected but I think I've got the major rally cars.

Like I said though; if someone knows the story and can explain it so that it makes sense, I'll stop questioning it.

danr

Nissan Prince logo

Means Pulsar, see the original TV advert.. to be continued ... lol
[video=youtube;lu-Ng1QxI2k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOvyZRRxAI4[/video]

If you read wikipedia it mentions Prince were working on a rival to the Sunny & Corolla before merger, guess you could 'construe' they amalgamated the P on purpose (if they used Prince development of said rival..big ifs....). Also in advert the 'P' is in a 'winged' circle (Prince formed by an Aircraft manufacturer...). You could make anything up ..
More Prince info here on gtr club http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/146712-father-skyline-shinichiro-sakurai-dead-81-a.html

STU666V

you must hate stu666v then....
A P badge is not going to make my car faster so not interested what it says :) If it said twat and gave me 50 bhp more i would have twat on it!
If it aint broke leave it. i have 4 or 5 grills here, i would change it if it was a road car. My new one has nothing on it ;-)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Nissan Prince logo

If you read wikipedia it mentions Prince were working on a rival to the Sunny & Corolla before merger, guess you could 'construe' they amalgamated the P on purpose (if they used Prince development of said rival..big ifs....). Also in advert the 'P' is in a 'winged' circle (Prince formed by an Aircraft manufacturer...). You could make anything up ..
As previously stated; "Nissan Prince" is a dealer network, it's where you can buy a Skyline. - I guess it's a bit like Toyota having a separate network for Lexus.

Wikipedia says the rival to the Sunny was the Cherry, which Nissan sold as their own. This is the only grey area really because the naming gets confused once they start giving the same model different names in different countries.

warpspeed

A P badge is not going to make my car faster so not interested what it says :) If it said twat and gave me 50 bhp more i would have twat on it!
If it aint broke leave it. i have 4 or 5 grills here, i would change it if it was a road car. My new one has nothing on it ;-)
:lol: now now Stu, mind and take the tablets...;-)

MarkTurbo

4 pages of crap about a little badge :der: Does it really matter what's on the front of the car...................................as long as its not a GTR badge :lol: