Driving activity day - North Weald airfield

P

pulsarboby

thing is that no one ever wants to do anything like this, 'with the exception of a few' and im sure (as paul would tell you) it truly is a nightmare getting money off people.

everyones up for it at the start but then when the time comes to flash the cash people start to bail out and leave empty places that have to be filled or it gets more expensive for those that are taking part!

its a shame really as this is what these cars are built for, and you cant do otr what you can on a day like this 'a lot of you's could learn so much about how the car handles under extreme circumstances', and theres no kerbs, trees or people to hit or no speeding tickets to be had either.

ashills

so true bob and thats part of the reason alot of older members went to evos etc as they do regular stuff like this and have an actual club rather than a forum just to moan about stuff on

JIMMYBACK

its a damn shame my heap of shite is sitting here again grrrrrrr shame ive only just noticed this post too

P

pulsarboby

ashills said:
so true bob and thats part of the reason alot of older members went to evos etc as they do regular stuff like this and have an actual club rather than a forum just to moan about stuff on
i have to admitt that the evo and dare i say even the scooby boys:doh: are more up for racing their cars and learning how to drive them to the limit.

as i say im not tarring everyone with the same brush here 'so to speak' but im amazed how few people there are with gtir's that dont like to put them through there paces and learn how to drive the things properly.

even young joe who came yesterday absolutely loved it (and he previously thought the world stopped at 1/4 mile and racing round industrial estates lol) but he admitted that the day taught him a lot about how to drive and push himself and the car to the limit, which you could never do on a drag strip or the road.

and it was only £60 and we all had a pub lunch8)

btw jimmy il give you a bell later today, wasnt answering phone yesterday

youngsyp

pulsarboby said:
what a fantastic day! some of you missed out big time on this one:-D

took the car to its absolute limit with loads of sideways action also, and have learnt a lot about the cars handling characteristics, ie no understeer just break traction and get sideways.

would like to thank paul for organising this and was good to finally meet you:) brilliant day with great weather and im sure gtirjoe had a whale of a time too and has now been bitten with the trackday bug lol

and the other bonus is that all 3 cars were not outclassed in any way by the evo boys (in fact quicker than most8) and all came back with engines still running, apart from my bumper that come off on the way back and got caught under wheel but amazingly enough even that is still all intact:-D :-D

bring on brands hatch8)
It was a good day mate and glad you, Joe and the other chaps had fun. It was good to meet you finally too !
I learnt a huge amount and was really throwing the car around on the way home. It's clear that my GTiR, has way more road holding ability than I gave it credit for. And certainly more than my 'talent' level can currently make use of !
It showed how good minor mods to the GTiR can work well too. For example, my brakes, with stock calipers, 308mm disks and Mintex M1144 compound pads were more than enough to haul the car up. Infact, I had too much braking power for my non-ABS equipped car so, I had to be careful not to lock the wheels up !

I think some cooling mods will be on the cards though !

When we do another one, we'll get Andy to set out the larger sprint circuit as that second circuit on the main car park was a bit too bumpy for us to get the power and grip down on.
And I'll have a look into a day at Bedford Aerodrome too !

Can you and Joe let me know your best times for the 2 circuits ?
My brother is putting a stat sheet together to post up on the MLR. It'll be interesting to compare our times with theirs !

Paul

gtirjoey

what a excelleant day! i never knew jus how well these things will handle! i learnt so much about the car and how to drive! i can now take round bouts at more speed smoother! the best i done on the smaller circuit (lady instructer) was a 50sec dead! i did not have a go on the other one as my boost pipe issue (thanks to pauls bro for jubilee clip) shame really as i could of gone a bit quicker down the straight but did not really want to floor it in third as this seemed to be when the boost pipe popped off!
but just again thanks to paul and his bro for organising i will see you next year hopefully!

youngsyp

gtirjoey said:
what a excelleant day! i never knew jus how well these things will handle! i learnt so much about the car and how to drive! i can now take round bouts at more speed smoother! the best i done on the smaller circuit (lady instructer) was a 50sec dead! i did not have a go on the other one as my boost pipe issue (thanks to pauls bro for jubilee clip) shame really as i could of gone a bit quicker down the straight but did not really want to floor it in third as this seemed to be when the boost pipe popped off!
but just again thanks to paul and his bro for organising i will see you next year hopefully!
Glad you had a good time buddy, it makes the day worthwhile !

I'll mail my brother your time, to add it to the list.
Just for info, the most powerful Evo's on that back circuit were only doing mid 47 second passes and a lot of them had done it before !

You didn't miss much on the other circuit either. The surface changed so much, not only in quality but, in quality and eveness. I really struggled for grip with the front wheels either breaking traction or locking up under braking !

Paul

gtirjoey

well i went out with bobby in his a few times on this circuit and it did feel really harsh on the car.
but what a day! wishing i was back there now. even the first activity we done was a hell load of fun lost it once but i did go into corner at about 75 as it was last go an i see a guy in an evo do it at 77 lol
cadwel in september cant wait bring it on!!!

youngsyp

gtirjoey said:
even the first activity we done was a hell load of fun lost it once but i did go into corner at about 75 as it was last go an i see a guy in an evo do it at 77 lol
The instructor Andy, took my brothers Evo round there at 97 mph ! :lol:

Paul

gtirjoey

yeah well thats him! lol! what actually was the fatest time round that corner on the day other than instructer!

P

pulsarboby

i did the circuit in 48sec dead so was well chuffed with that (thought i had equalled top but obviously someone must have pipped me to the post by 1/2 second:cry:.

ive got no time for the second one as i only done 3 runs and it took 2 to find out where i was meant to be going, kept getting lost in cone city:lol:
there was also something on my brakes knocking big time (with joe in car lol) and i almost ran the tyre off the rim which damaged one of my front wheels:sad: but hey it was all worth it in the end and nothing that a bit of paint and a file wont cure.

will book you in at cadwell tomorrow joe, will be a right good crack and give you another chance to win the sherbert dip and packet of fruit pastilles that im still to collect off you:lol:

once again thanks for organising this and give my thanks to rob too for a great day:-Dlet me know when they book another or bedford autodrome as il be up for that one aswell please (dates permitting).

Last edited by a moderator: