Does PowerFC disable Lambda control ?

A

AJ4

I read somewhere that the PowerFC doesn't use the lambda sensor or have a closed loop emmissions circuit like the standard ecu ( I guess no-one with an aftermarket ecu is going to be too bothered about emmissions ? )

Can anyone confirm this ? I'd like to remove the standard sensor and put a wideband in its place with a seperate guage and I just wondered if anyone else had read this ?

A

Anonymous

The PowerFC does use the Lambda sensor for closed loop operation during low load cruise and idle conditions.

It can be deactivated via the hand controller or laptop software if a sensor is not present.

A

AJ4

Ah ok, cheers. I must have been reading for a different ECU then :oops:

GINGA

Yeh you can switch it on and off in the etc settings same place as switching the boost control on and off :wink:

Jobi Joba

Ross said:
I'd like to remove the standard sensor and put a wideband in its place with a seperate guage and I just wondered if anyone else had read this ?
can't put a wideband where the std O2 sensor is fitted:the thread is way too small!!
The thread of a wideband is M18x1.5mm ...

GINGA

Yeh but it didn't make much difference really lol you'll be better off leaving it on anyway as you'll get better fuel economy with general driving.
You should only really turn it off if its faulty and effecting the fuelling.

A

AJ4

[quote="Jobi Joba]can't put a wideband where the std O2 sensor is fitted:the thread is way too small!!
The thread of a wideband is M18x1.5mm ...[/quote]

Yes, but I can drill a hole and weld bungs..... :roll: :D :D

Ah well, lambda control is getting binned then, you can't say 'Pulsar' and 'Fuel Economy' in the same sentence :D :D :D

Jobi Joba

Ross said:
Yes, but I can drill a hole and weld bungs..... :roll: :D :D
So why the hell do u wanna use the same hole?Just drill another one and keep the std sensor in its place...

Ross said:
you can't say 'Pulsar' and 'Fuel Economy' in the same sentence :D :D :D
Depends if u talk about GTIR or diesel... :lol:

A

AJ4

I just want to use the same hole because it is in a good location and has easy access. The wideband wont be in all the time, so i need it somewhere easy to remove. Besides that, the tubby and manifold system is being removed altogether soon for a 4-2-1 exhaust so I'm not bothered if I wreck the standard manifold or dump pipe ;)

GINGA

whats the rest of your setup at the moment Ross :?: and have you played with the timing much yet :?:

A

Anonymous

The factory location may be too close to the turbo for a Wide Band sensor. The temp experience generally shouldn't go over 700deg C....
I welded a bung a couple of inches below in the J pipe and run both sensors together.

Wide band for tuning and Narrow band for the PowerFC to operate in closed loop.

A

AJ4

Jobi Joba - thanks bud, that would be great

Ginga - I'm in the middle of mapping the ignition at the moment, nearly done. I'm using the det sensor to tune ( which is not ideal ) until I get a wideband 02 fitted. I found that I can put in a shed lot more advance when the WI is on :D and have picked up loads of torque mid-range with no det.

Once I get the wideband I'll go back over the ignition again and then start on the fuelling.

Incase your wondering, I'm using an accelerometer to measure power. I do a run in third gear up to the rev limit, look at the torque curve, change the advance at different points, and retry to see what the difference is. I then repeat this at different throttle openings and load rates to try and fill as much of the map as possible. A bit time consuming but once you start in the right direction it narrows down quite quickly. ( I think its better tuning it in real life conditions anyway and it saves a fortune on RR's :D:D:D )

GINGA

How close is the standard map to detting without WI do you know :?: and what mods/boost etc is your car running at the moment :?:

GINGA

Ross said:
Ginga - I'm in the middle of mapping the ignition at the moment, nearly done. I'm using the det sensor to tune ( which is not ideal ) until I get a wideband 02 fitted. I found that I can put in a shed lot more advance when the WI is on :D and have picked up loads of torque mid-range with no det.

Once I get the wideband I'll go back over the ignition again and then start on the fuelling.
Hmmm my downpipe is touching the body of my car and is play havoc with the knock readings :cry: can hitting high 50's by blipping throttle stationary lol

Do you know if the mapping points on the trace map are the same for both inj and ing maps I presume they are as theres only the one trace map :?

A

AJ4

Yeah, as far as I know there is only one trace map with the two values for fuel and ignition at each point.

At the moment I'm running 1.4 bar on standard internals and standard tubbie. I had a mild det problem at 3500 - 4000 rpm on heavy loads at part throttle, like labouring up hills in the wrong gear :oops: but I managed to get rid of that by retarding the ignition a little at that point ( I think the original map had an error ).

Apart from that I'm making really good torque and not seen any significant det or pinking. I'm building another stroker engine so I'm using this standard one to practice with :D.

I know a lot of people say you shouldn't run over 1 bar etc on a standard engine, but I've never had any problems and I know a few other people who have done the same and not had any problems either.... Just luck probably :D

BTW, I'm using the standard Det sensor ( and an EGT as well ), but a Scooby friend of mine makes his own knock link boards so I'll be using a better sensor soon.

Couldn't really say how close the original map was to detting, but I wound in loads of advance before I had the WI and it never detted. I'm assuming the original map was built for safety and not performance. What I'm doing now is backing off the advance at low rpm ( no WI ) and advancing it more after the WI comes on, seems to work well.

Can't wait to get a wideband O2 though :D