Det sensor

whytie

No just take most things out the left hand side of engine bay and get you hand round the back under the inlet mani, it's a bit of a **** with all those brackets but not that hard.

PulsarLee

thanks Whytie,
ill take a look at doing this.....
Have you done the same b4?. what was the cause of the fault code?.. the sensor or summat else.?

thanks fella

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
theyre even the same as on an sr20de as used inthe sunny gti etc
:oops: I didn't actually look at FAST this time; I just remember than one from a 200SX worked.

@PulsarLee - yes, you can measure the resistance of the sensor to see if it's still working; you'll need to do a search because I don't think anyone will be able to remember that off the top of their head.

You'll probably find that trying to take the inlet manifold off is as much of a nightmare as trying to work around it anyway.

Generally it is the sensor that has gone, but it's not unheard of for the plug to have come loose or the wiring to have got damaged (no connection is the same as "failed" to the ECU). - Unfortunately, until you put a known-good one in you can't tell if the problem lies elsewhere. It's a process of elimination.

PulsarLee

Hiya,

So it is possible to get tp the sensor from around the side with a few things moved??......... last night i was under the car and apart from a small gap (where you could only just about see the sensor)! It would be impossible to access the part or even touch it unless you were ET.

Is there anyway of disabling the sensor so that it dosent report a fault and potentially retard the idnition?

Cheers

Lee

ollydj

Personally id aim to get the "Y" bracket off and do away with it.Then get to the sensor from underneath. I got my bracket off without taking the inlet off.

PulsarLee

hi, ollydj
have you fitted a det sensor to a standard R before?. so it is possible without removing the bodies etc or engine out??

thanks,m8

whytie

you 100% dont need to take bodies of or remove engine, once you have Y bracket out the way you can either get it from under car coming from the transfer box area or round the side depending on what extension, knuckels ect that you have at your desposal

PulsarLee

Nightmare job

Hi Guys,

Been trying all weekend to access the det sensor on my R :evil: have access to a pit but just getting to the damm thing appears to be impossible.......;(
could anyone confirm that it is possible to access from underneath on a std engine?
will I need to remove the Y bracket and can this be done from underneath or will i need to be above too? what is the Y bracket for btw?

Although i know the det sensor is there for a reason could i disable this and the message it is sending to the ECU n timing for a short time just to see if it deffo needs replacing / looking at.

any ideas welcome .

Thanks

Lee

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The Y-bracket is the one on the gearbox side of the engine shaped like a "Y" - it is (was) extra bracing for the TMIC and related peripherals. It really gets in the way when you're trying to do something like this; that's why everyone curses it and throws it out as soon as they can.

The problem you might have from underneath is the angles; lying on your back may not put your arm in the right position to access it, but if it was on a ramp and you were standing it might be a different matter. - I've never had to change mine, so I can't confirm absolutely that it can be done... but I believe other people when they say it can.

Unfortunately, disabling the det sensor is the same as a fault as far as the ECU is concerned. You could get a new det sensor and put it somewhere easy to reach (it wouldn't be doing its job, but the ECU would get a nice clean signal), but you'd still need to get you hand on the harness to unclip it from the old sensor. - If you did that, I recommend putting the new one in the right spot ASAP (or at least near enough that it's doing the same job; you can probably get away with moving it along the block a little, but definitely on the block and not the firewall or anything like that).

S

sunny special

was educational thanks guys. ive got the same problem did a code check yesterday ,cleared it. back again today

PulsarLee

sunny special,

what were the symptoms with yours m8? how is the car running?
have you taken a look at the det sensor yet.

cheers

Lee

shroom

could be a boost leak causing it or quiet a few other things, but with mine I had a split on the inner side of a silicone hose causing un metered air to enter and putting it into limp mode, worth a check to cancel that out,

S

sunny special

hiya got to it this morning. found it[long arms]. the clip is busted. put it back on. now my car wont start think i knocked the starter motor wire . cause it wont kick over at all. just the one wire going to det sensor. theres a wire with a clip i think it came off the starter motor . fuck.going on foot for a hour.

PulsarLee

hiya sunny special,

how did you get to the sensor? from the side or underneath,,,,,,,,,,tried getting to mine from underneath was impossible due to theY bracket.

please advise or come ndo mine lol

cheers

S

sunny special

U need to take the y bracket out or move it out the way to get it.
sorry lee mine has fmic so could put my arm down round to the right. was thinking of jacking as i knocked the earth of starter motor. my mate put it back on. whilst knocking of something else plug into penluen sorted. doh now she bangs.
being as i had a rebuild (crank) thats probably why it was on. hopefully

Pulsey

just changed my knock sensor took 30mins (10mins trying to find the lost pin off the plug DOH!). i dont know why you have you remove anything? ig your under the car on axle stands you can clearly see the sensor? i used a really long extension bar with a wobbly short 12 on the end, it was a bit tight getting out but it came out find. the hardest part was trying to get the clip off as you need a small pointy end screw driver to pull clip off which i ended up losing for 10mins lol but found if you slide one hand up beside the exhaust and the other through wheel arch part its doable:)

only thing i can see making it a little harder was if you had a bigger exhaust due to the room being smaller to slide you hand up but that could be removed:)

hope this helps:)

PulsarLee

Thanks Pulsey,

Ill take another look but it seemed impossible when i last spent2 hrs under the car................. have a pit btw but although I could see the sensor through a little triangle shaped gap. does yours still have the Y bracket? as mine does, a TMIC and all the re circulating DV etc........................come n do mine m8.........free beer n money........lol

Pulsey

Yea matey all standard so still had the bracket. I did it all under the car so a pit will be fine. When looking up you will see next to oil filter there's a space between filter and y bracket and the sensor is located at the top of the block. You will find the tool will fit between bracket and bolt bit I had no problem with undoing it

Would do if your local?