Det sensor

PulsarLee

hiya,
Could anyone,give me some advise on what / where the det sensor is.......... its showing on my fault code when i checked.
Cheers,

Lee

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What: It's the detonation sensor... it senses detonation within the block.
Where: Right on the back of the block between cylinders 2 and 3; below the inlet manifold.

I'd start by seeing if you can get a hand on it and making sure the connector is on fully; it's not impossible that there's nothing wrong with the sensor, but the wiring is loose.
Unfortunately, how you sort this out depends on how small your arms are and how much of the original brackets remain to get in your way.

whytie

Here it is here

Its the round black sensor in the middle of pic just up from the starter motor

PulsarLee

thanks guys,

sorry to be thick, but could you pinpoint the sensor on the pic as Im not sure which one you mean.
Also, what would cause this fault to show up? would it be the sensor not working, or the fact that the car is detonating?
would this fault code cause the car to go into a 'limp' mode or anything like that?

Sorry for all the questions, only im not up on detonation - any info on this appreciated.:thumbsup:

Thanks,

Lee

shroom

see that rusty ish orange bolt hole in the middle of the picture go slighly up from that and its that black circle thing with the connector coming of it just below the pipes, cant be arsed to edit and put the picture back up lol

P

pulsarboby

its the round black one in the middle with a 12mm bolt holding it to the block

when it detects knock or is faulty it will put ecu into limp mode and basically that retards the timing by 2 degrees which makes the car feel as though its gutless when on boost!

PulsarLee

Thanks guys,

This sounds like its exactly what the problem is / symptons, (a bit flat). I suspect this may have been either set off when I had a big problem with a lead down under load causing a massive missfire or when i had a fuel starvation problem caused by a bad connection?? - maybe anyway.

I have now cleared the fault anbd will recheck when ive done a few miles. Also, ill check the conection and wiring as best i can:?

Is it possible to test the sensor. or is it best to just replace?

wheres the best place to get a new Det sensor / how much?

Cheers - and thanks for your help on this

Lee

shroom

can get them of ebay im sure the 200sx one are the same? pobody will know but there not that much anymore like £30-40

shroom

yer there all the same

I payed 85 for mine :cry:

part # are 22060-30P00

so yer it is a good saving

I have got this from pobody so credit to him
as there all the same :thumbsup:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
...and I got that from FAST which lists the det sensor for the SR20DET as being the same for all variants of the engine.

PulsarLee

Thanks guys,

Im off out to the garage now to take a look....what better way to relax after a shat day at work:-D. Is there anyway of checking the sensor if all the wires etc are connected up tightly etc?

I cleared the fault codes last night, should i run the car for a while to see if the 34 code returns?

if I disconnect the plug to the sensor for a short period of time, would this allow the timing to change back to its original setting and take any 'limp' mode?

Ta

Lee

boost

how can you check these are fully working, can you put a meter on them and just get the internal resistance...? or do you have to buy new to make sure they work 100%

PulsarLee

Nightmare!!:cry:
Been looking at the det sensor from underneath the car.... my car is pretty standard with all the usual mounts n brackets.............. hope im wrong but looks imposible to get at the det sensor without removing the engine or perhaps removing the throttle bodies etc etc......grrrrrrr

any tips anyone.......... or even any tips on disabling the sensor ??
I wiped the codes, took the car for a run, checked again and code 34 came back again.......
car still performs but just dosent feel as crisp and a little flat at low revs.

Cheers,

Lee

whytie

Take out the top mount, battery, induction pipe, the brackets and get your arm round the side.

PulsarLee

the battery is no where near that area?........ all the fuel pipes and recirc dump valve are though.... so you dont think ill need to remove the pleanum and boddies?

cheers,M8

Lee