D2/K-Sport style coil overs

O

Odin

Hello folks :) , This is a thread for all those people with these fitted so anybody else please pi55 off :roll: .

I want to know what you think of them now you've lived with them for a while, Are you happy with them do they improve your cars handling on the road ?, Are they to hard ?.

I haven't got the time to wright about my feelings about them at the moment but I will do as soon as I have the time ;-) .

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my K sport on for a month now.
Don't find them too uncomfortable and did a pretty good job on the track last weekend.
Easy dampening adjustment so softest setting for the road and stiffer for the track.
Fitment was easy enough, but the only thing I don't like is the way the height adju7stment operates, where you need to totally release the bottom of the strut to adjust the height rather than other coilovers where its just a case of moving the platform that seats the spring.
Car is only a weekend car now though but they are alot softer than my JIC coilovers.
Mite try having a swap around of springs because I wouldn't have them any softer and, if anything, would prefer them a little harder for the track.
Now quibbles from me yet!
Ben

coxie

to be honest i am very impressed with my d2.s from the last week driving the car they are extremely good handling wise and the comfort is far better than i would have thought.took a lot of writing down settings and adjusting but am getting there.

O

Odin

I can't believe anybody could say they wheren't hard enough :shock: :shock: , I've found them to be way to hard for normal road use :cry: , So hard in fact that I can't use the damper settings at all because they just to hard already :cry: :shock: .

Also there a right b@stard to set up, I still haven't got them right after 4 or 5 attempts :cry: , I'm going to give them one more chance with some softer springs fitted and a proper rally place setting them up for me :? .

Rob

O

Odin

coxie said:
can post all my settings up if you want rob.

Please do fella that would be great 8) 8) 8) .

By the way your cars looking fly ;-) :-D .

Rob

coxie

thanks rob.

settings are as gave by my local friendly tuner:-

front camber =1 degree negative
rear camber = 1/2 degree negative
front toe =20 minutes
rear toe =parrallel

arch to floor on front =24 inches
arch to floor on rear =24 3/4 inches

tyre to arch gap front = 1 3/4 inches
tyre to arch gap rear = 2 1/8 inches

castor is increased through use of the whitline kit.

also have the adjustable bump steer kit fitted aswell

coilovers:-

with car jacked up all spring adjusters backed off till spring was loose then 10 notches of spring compression wound on.all adjusters on top of shocks wound right back to softest setting. also all hub bolts were loosened then the hub tilted negative then tightened up before setup procedure was done because bottom hol is round and top is elongated from factory on the d2's.

rear arb drop links shortened as much aspossible then connected up and when tight turned the rod to open up the distance between the two ball joints by 5 full turns with a 10mm spnner.

as said before car is nice to drive in with the above settings and that is also coupled with various strut braces and every single bush being replaced for poly ones.

O

Odin

Thanks coxie 8) .

I must say that's pretty much what I'm using apart from I'm using 23" and 23 3/4" on the arch to floor heights.

I also have every poly bush you can buy and bumpsteer/anti dive kits as well, And the rear axle kit ;-) , Anti roll bars are both new whitline ones and I have a 2 point bottom brace and both strut tops.

I am running -1.5 on the front though.

I'm finding it ok in the dry apart from the hardness off the springs :cry: , But on wet roundabouts it's bl00dy awful :roll: . I'm thinking its a combination of to hard springs and the camber/toe setting's.

Like I said once I can get hold of some softer springs I'll try again, But I'll try your settings this time.

Thanks Rob

Rob

Thunder God said:
I can't believe anybody could say they wheren't hard enough :shock: :shock: , I've found them to be way to hard for normal road use :cry: , So hard in fact that I can't use the damper settings at all because they just to hard already :cry: :shock: .

Also there a right b@stard to set up, I still haven't got them right after 4 or 5 attempts :cry: , I'm going to give them one more chance with some softer springs fitted and a proper rally place setting them up for me :? .

Rob
What springs have you got on there at the moment?
Think mine are 7kg's on the front and 6kg's on the rear.
What parts of the setup can't you get right?
I'm running -1.75 deg camber on the fronts and -1deg camber on the rear.
Has helped under steer alot in the dry but not had them out in the wet yet.

Thunder God said:
Thanks coxie 8) .

I must say that's pretty much what I'm using apart from I'm using 23" and 23 3/4" on the arch to floor heights.

Thanks Rob

Rob
How much has this lowered the car.
Standard measurement from the centre of the wheel to centre of the arch is
Front is 365mm and Rear is 375mm.
It has been recommended not to lower the car by more than 35mm all round.

coxie

is the ride height not too low???????.same here rob all handling aids fitted etc plus the custom subframe mounts from ashills.

if you need anymore settings to try just ask mate.

O

Odin

No its not to low at all, If anything I've lifted it a bit over the gab set I had before :? .

Its just not nice to drive anymore, And for some reason or other after two attempts the people who set them up still couldn't get the steering wheel to sit straight :roll: :roll: .

My springs are 7kg front and 6kg rear which are way way to hard for a road car :roll: :cry: .

I'm thinking that 5gk front and 3.5kg rear would be a lot better for road use.

Rob

Thunder God said:
No its not to low at all, If anything I've lifted it a bit over the gab set I had before :? .

Its just not nice to drive anymore, And for some reason or other after two attempts the people who set them up still couldn't get the steering wheel to sit straight :roll: :roll: .

My springs are 7kg front and 6kg rear which are way way to hard for a road car :roll: :cry: .

I'm thinking that 5gk front and 3.5kg rear would be a lot better for road use.

Rob
Could all the poly bushes be making it a harsh ride.
All my bushes are 13 year old Nissan ones!
Have you compared the ride on these to some of the others? I really didn't consider them that bad but maybe thats because my old JIC's are v v hard (don't know what rate springs are on them).
Why don't you just set the tracking right with equal length on the track control rods and then just take the steering wheel off the spline and put it on straight?
There's nothing to say the steering wheel was in the right place from when you got it.

O

Odin

Its not the bushes they've been in for a few years now and worked very well with the gabs, It handled so much better on the gabs :cry: .

I'm not worried about the steering wheel not being straight , I was just pointing out how bad the people who set it up are :roll: , I'll just take it down and get it tracked properly somewhere else :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I think I'm running to much - camber on the front and the spring rates are just rubbish on a wet road :roll: , I need to find a compromise for all round road performance.

Rob

CruiseGTi-R

Talking about these D2’s is a fave subject of mine :roll: . I reckon its all in the ‘other’ bits you have on the car, not just the D2 and set-up.

I don’t like the material, its too soft. I hate the slotted hole :x , I’ve managed to pull the bolt across on hard cornering a few times already, also makes set-up a nightmare. I’m thinking of grinding a thin crescent block/spacer to stick in the slot, stop it moving, or weld over a thick washer plate with no slot. Other than that they’re nice bits of kit, particularly for the price.

Anyway, I have the car sitting very low at the front, slightly higher at the rear (but not much). I’ve no figures for this though, but the front is just high enough not to rub on the wheel throughout its stroke, and that’s on 15inch rims.

I run low tyre pressures up front (current thinking), normal at the rear.

The springs I backed off until they were totally loose, and wound on half a turn so the spring wouldn’t become loose if a wheel left the ground :-D (this was the best thing I’ve done with the set-up so far), I’m even thinking of dialing out even more spring rate given the weight of the car will compress em some.

I have whiteline rear arb, oe front, bumpsteer kit, anti-lift caster kit. OE bushes for everything else. Dampers on softest setting. Front camber is 2 degrees, rear is 1 degree (this is set-up at home, so everything is probably way out :oops: , but the front wheels look like the rear wheels on a lowered VW Beetle (should mean something to some of you)).

The ride is very hard, but just about bearable. In the dry, understeer will eventually occur but can be powered out. Understeer can be held off for longer if I flick the car in too. Oversteer on power is a bit snappy, but control of tail wagging (if you’re behind on steering inputs) is where the higher rear camber comes in. You don’t get the oversteer on braking/lift-off because of the rear camber which is shame cos it forces understeer, but can’t make my mind up what I prefer.

In the wet its much the same, but I have a few problems still. Sometimes the car will corner off power and grip and grip and I think I’ve cracked it, but now and again it completely loses it in understeer, like dangerously so. I had put it down to road surface or tyre wear but I don’t think it’s that. It bugars up my confidence in corners in the wet. If I chuck the car in hard, slowish in, fast out, power as much as I can through, it solves the problem, but it’s a bit bloody aggressive for every corner.

In the dry its pretty much where I want it – could lose more understeer, might try ditching the front arb / undo the strut brace.

I reckon the spring rates are ultimately a bit too hard though. Its why I’ve not upgraded any other bushes or bought 16’s, and run low tyre press. Those things help claw back some softness in the set-up. Don’t know how you lot cope running lower profiles and full harder bushes. The hardness does throw the car about a bit on bumpy surfaces.

The occasional wash out understeer might be due to the front being too low and makes for some weird geometry (cambellju?), I’d hope softer springs would help this too. I also reckon that running brilliantly grippy tyres makes things more unpredictable. I think T1-S’s work well and anything more slick than these makes it more snappy.

The other problem I have is the car follows every little camber and white line and rut and everything else. Car pulls in every direction and pulls on the steering wheel. Prob due to 2 deg camber and being too low again, but its all a compromise to get grip levels up.

Oh, I also refuse to give my car to anyone else to set it up. They always fu*k it up. Pay £130 for alignment and sh*t is still out.

So I do like the D2’s, but the flaws are that the springs are too hard and some build issues, neither of which yet make me want to buy Teins. I do have a slight worry that the damping is too hard even on softest setting – won’t know until get softer springs.

Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
A very interesting thread this. I'm going to keep my gob shut though as I don't have the D2's and its interesting to read other people's experiences with out me chipping in with some dynamic negative camber or roll centre nonsense ;-)

Last edited:
O

Odin

I don't think my car is to low at all, Infact most of you would say its on stilts lol, I have the same problem with wet corners :oops: , I'm just not brave enough to push it now as you never know whats going to happen :shock: :roll:

You always see track racers using softer set up for wet tracks so that makes me believe its a lot to do with the spring rates being rubbish :roll: :roll: :roll: .

Rob

CruiseGTi-R

I'm removing front D2's at the weekend (doing brakes so may a well) - going to wind off a bit more spring rate (they'll be loose at no load). But I can whip out the springs while at it and measure the springs unloaded if you think its useful.

O

Odin

CruiseGTi-R said:
I'm removing front D2's at the weekend (doing brakes so may a well) - going to wind off a bit more spring rate (they'll be loose at no load). But I can whip out the springs while at it and measure the springs unloaded if you think its useful.

Yes please fella 8) , I'll die of old age waiting for sickboy to messure his for me :roll: :roll: .

Rob :-D