CAST IRON gearbox case!!!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe it's actually annealed, but starts life as cast iron? - As you say; if it works...

RO_SUNNY

Hi guys.

I know that everybody have been waited a long time for this pictures.

Please excuse the quality of the pictures....they are not made by me.

Also I want to make a correction of a huge mistake..........the gearcase is not cast iron it's CAST STAINLESS STEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STU666V

PPG came up to me at TOTB asking if we would like CNC machined cases from a stainless block? They said they could do group buys on gearboxes!

vpulsar

It looks like it's going to need a lot of cleaning up before it can be used, And what makes cast stainless stronger than the alloy version then. I'd of thought it would be more brittle.

Either way you can't solve the real problem which is you're trying to shunt all that power sideways instead of backwards in a straight line and is the reason you'll never compete with a skyline or a proper rear wheel drive car.

But fair play for trying to solve the problem and actually making a casing rather than just talking about it.

I hope it works I really do.

John

RO_SUNNY

The price for the above product is ''The price will be around 2100 EUROS (not pounds) without paypal fees and postage''

And by the way......the gear case which PPG is selling is the same gear case as this one, because the guy which owns the Sunny sedan from the below vid made the gear case and spoke with the guys from PPG so that they can sell a complete gearbox.
I don't want to make negative adverstising I am just talkig facts.

I think that it's very strong since it's holding on approx. 1000 BHP from this car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1FyNlmWmGk

Last edited:

vpulsar

Price is good considering all the work needed to get these to the finished article, It could be a good investment when you think about the cost of a new Quaife/PPG gear set if you blow your's all over the start line lol.

John

STU666V

And by the way......the gear case which PPG is selling is the same gear case as this one, because the guy which owns the Sunny sedan from the below vid made the gear case and spoke with the guys from PPG so that they can sell a complete gearbox.
I don't want to make negative adverstising I am just talkig facts.
Yes that is correct ;-)

Last edited:

danr

good work sunny :_)
cast steel is better than cast iron, and steel better than alu.

just for general fyi (though there are other factors!)
Steel generally has yield strengths ranging from 30,000 - 150,000 psi, and ultimate strengths ranging from 50,000 - 200,000 psi.

Aluminum generally has yield strengths ranging from 15,000 - 70,000 psi, and ultimate strengths ranging from 30,000 - 90,000 psi.

So, there is some overlap, but in general, steel is stronger.

Aluminum in general is a third as light and half as strong as steel, or the inverse, steel is twice as strong but three times as heavy. It is also softer and more prone to fail over less deflection.

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There's a whole shed load of alloys that fill the gap between iron and alluminium; plus there's the working you can do on them to change the structure of the final material. - If you select the right one, it can be both stronger and lighter.

Anyway, before everyone gets carried away I'm going to repeat what I said on the first page; no group buys without admin aproval, and no selling by non-members. I'm not suggesting that there's any issue in this case, but those are the rules you agreed to when you signed-up.

RO_SUNNY

No problems at all with this rule Pobody.

But we want to see if there's any interest at all in this case.\ and if there is 1'st thing I will do is pay for my membership.

I am terribly sorry if I offended in any way!

Cheers,

B

JIMMYBACK

WOW what a step forward, hopefully this solves the gearbox issue and hope to see more 500 BHP cars out there

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
No problems at all with this rule Pobody.

But we want to see if there's any interest at all in this case.\ and if there is 1'st thing I will do is pay for my membership.

I am terribly sorry if I offended in any way!

Cheers,

B
No offence. - Equally I don't want it to seem like the club is being difficult for no reason; I can't see any reason why you wouldn't get the green light, but there's more than just me.

RO_SUNNY

Maybe we can sort out a group buy or something like that.
Pooring and machining of such take quite some time and I don't want to see people waiting for a product too long.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
interested
So, does it get your rubber stamp or can you spot some problems? - I appreciate that you might be a little cagey about giving away all your secrets for nothing, but usually you're pretty quick to point-out when something definitely isn't going to work.