CAST IRON gearbox case!!!

RO_SUNNY

Hi guys.

I have posted here because I don't have sufficient rights to post in the correct topic area.

As stated in the title........I need to see how many clients I will find to sell a cast iron gear case.

The price will be around 2100 EUROS (not pounds) without paypal fees and postage.

Just for example there ia a car allready running this type of gear case and it's pulling out on the dyno more then 1000 BHP and 1000 Nm.
The car ran on Sunday 8.88 sec 1/4 mile....link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1FyNlmWmGk

I will also post pictures of the above in a couple of days.

Cheers,

Bogdan

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You can't post there because you're not a paid-up member.

I'm leaving this here so that you can gather a bit of interest and get it off the ground, but if it turns into a group buy you'll need a paid member and an OK from the moderator/admin team before we can let it go ahead. - That's not just us trying to be difficult; it's to protect memebers after a couple of these things went bad.

Good luck!

could be interesting but cast iron will be very heavy and cast iron isn't the strongest material out there as it is quite fragile? at least witht the thickness of a gearbox housing.
Alloy with adequate thichkess in vital points would be a lot better.

geoff pine

Hi guys.

I have posted here because I don't have sufficient rights to post in the correct topic area.

As stated in the title........I need to see how many clients I will find to sell a cast iron gear case.

The price will be around 2100 EUROS (not pounds) without paypal fees and postage.

Just for example there ia a car allready running this type of gear case and it's pulling out on the dyno more then 1000 BHP and 1000 Nm.
The car ran on Sunday 8.88 sec 1/4 mile....link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1FyNlmWmGk

I will also post pictures of the above in a couple of days.

Cheers,

Bogdan
If you know some one who can cast a cast iron gear box why not get him to cast the original gtir box but use a better grade of aluminum :thumbsup:

Last edited:

RO_SUNNY

I know alot of people in this area fo interest because of my job (steel mills, forging plants etc) but this is not done by me ....I am just helping out a friend which made them for itself and made a couple (5 pcs).

MarkTurbo

Extra weight in the front axle
Is an extra 8 kg really going to make any difference :doh:

If that casing continues to take the 1000 + bhp that pulsar is producing then it could be a good investment for people with a lot of power.

Better than a broken casing with a few grands worth of scrap gearset inside anyway :lol:

Extra weight on the front is not good for understeer...Anyway i still think its a good idea and would like to see pics, but cast iron isnt the best suited material IMHO

red reading

Extra weight on the front is not good for understeer...Anyway i still think its a good idea and would like to see pics, but cast iron isnt the best suited material IMHO
If it works don't knock it, and when you shit £5k worth of gearset out of a car i doubt you'll be worried about a bit of understeer.

MarkTurbo

Most of the people that have broken casings and would benefit from a stronger one use the car on the drag strip so I don't think understeer issues are top of their list of things to worry about!

ashills

is this full casing or just end case

either way will be good for dragging and will really show whats the next weak link in the drive train, going by that video the rest seems to hold pretty good

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Just seen the video now I'm home from work. My word that car is impressive, hats off to the lads behind it.

Fusion Ed

Just seen this too. 8Kg is nothing, move the battery to the boot to offset that... Price seems good too if it doesn't go bang.

red reading

People need pictures before they do anything, cast iron is not the best material as we know but if it works who care's...................... i personally am more interested in the machining inside it, because if that is wrong or the oil gutter's can't be fitted then its worth less on anything other than a drag car for very short runs.