brake problem.

davey red.r

first bite of the brakes there is literally nothing there:?
then fine after a few more brake sessions,
any ideas master cylinder?

davey;-)

davey red.r

yeah looking through the r history there was a mention of it wanting
a brake master cylinder soon 3 year ago:doh:
im leaning towards this now.

davey

davey red.r

its not them its always been there, just spending money on other things:doh: but i do have redstuff in front,which are overkill for my useage:cry: just came with the hispec sale,
so i thought id try them,
great when warmed up,
so im going for mintex 1144s in the front, and pagid blues in the rears, id imagine that would be a very good set up for shortish journeys,

regards

uncle davey;-)

GTIR-LOZ

i use the 1144s in my monster 6 setup and they are very good

are you sure there is no air in the system still, if the brakes feel spongy it may be there is some in there still to check the master cylinder pump the pedal a few times with the engine running and hold the pedal down it should not sink to the floor but stop about half way down

if it is the master cylinder its not too bad a job to do about an hours work

gtirjoey

do you mean there rock solid for the first few times then they start to work okay? as both my pulsars do this and i dont think it servo as it would do it all the time
btw davey that stuff for your pads is called ceramic spray euro car parts sell it in thier normfest range could not find the other thread when i looked next day

davey red.r

gtirjoey said:
do you mean there rock solid for the first few times then they start to work okay? as both my pulsars do this and i dont think it servo as it would do it all the time
btw davey that stuff for your pads is called ceramic spray euro car parts sell it in thier normfest range could not find the other thread when i looked next day
many thanks matey for taking the time8)
its sorted now:-D
yes there is nothing there first bite,
dangerous as i nearly found out tonight:doh:
needs adressed asap.

regards

davey;-)

GTIR-LOZ

if your pedal is rock solid then its prob the servo as thats what gives you the abilty to press the pedal down - try it with the car off pump the pedal up until its solid then hold it down and start the car your foot should sink down a fair way, if it does this the servo is ok

davey when you said it did not drop halfway what did it do if it dropped all the way the cylinder is knackered or there is air in it still

btw whay how did you cure your squealing brakes then i greased my pads up and it made cack all difference lol

davey red.r

GTIR-LOZ said:
if your pedal is rock solid then its prob the servo as thats what gives you the abilty to press the pedal down - try it with the car off pump the pedal up until its solid then hold it down and start the car your foot should sink down a fair way, if it does this the servo is ok

davey when you said it did not drop halfway what did it do if it dropped all the way the cylinder is knackered or there is air in it still

btw whay how did you cure your squealing brakes then i greased my pads up and it made cack all difference lol
good advice matey appreciated:thumbsup:
i will try that tomorrow morn,
copper greased them its quieter now:)
but for how long?:evil:
saving for ap kit 8) quality.

davey;-)

GTIR-LOZ

to be honest i dont think you will see much difference between the hispecs and the aps both are great quality, when you change the redstuff pads you will see how good they are then you wont want to change yet again

P

pulsarboby

GTIR-LOZ said:
to be honest i dont think you will see much difference between the hispecs and the aps both are great quality, when you change the redstuff pads you will see how good they are then you wont want to change yet again

agreed!
the only difference you will see is maybe the quality finish of the ap caliper but other than that there both just hydraulic vices that do the same job.
the main parts is the braking surfaces being the discs and the pads you use as well as the fluid.

Garef

I heard a good wee cheat for the brakes recently when I was having major trouble with mine. If you can pinch your brake lines somewhere before the calipers and you still have the same problem when pressing the pedal it's the master cylinder that's gone. Be careful when doing this though if you have braided hoses.

Animaldaz

the other thing that people forget is caliper rigidity, 2 piece calipers that are bolted together can flex. So i would like to think that you will get a stronger caliper from AP although i cant confirm that but it should be a consideration.

Animaldaz

Garef said:
I heard a good wee cheat for the brakes recently when I was having major trouble with mine. If you can pinch your brake lines somewhere before the calipers and you still have the same problem when pressing the pedal it's the master cylinder that's gone. Be careful when doing this though if you have braided hoses.
you should never do this if you have braided hoses as you will squash them and they wont return back to normal like a rubber hose.

Garef

Animaldaz said:
you should never do this if you have braided hoses as you will squash them and they wont return back to normal like a rubber hose.
Thats why I wrote be careful.

antgtir

Sounds more like air in the system to me. I found a huge difference when i spent about an hour alone bleeding the brakes all round. Bled the front 4 pots each piston, then bled the rears, remembering to do the furthest piston from the reservoir first and work your way closer, this tracks the air back as far as possible.

This made a considerable difference to the feel of the pedal and i was supprised to see quite a bit of air still in the system.

You DONT need to run the engine whilst doing this either.

I personally wouldn't advise pinching brake lines as you can damage the line then under heavy braking this may fail, both for rubber and braided.

Ant.

davey red.r

GTIR-LOZ said:

done it today pumped brakes then turned her over pedal dropped about halfway,
the servo is fine then,
its got to be the cylinder now id imagine.

davey;-)