blitz dual sbc settings

williams

ive tested a few things on the car,

ran with no actuator pipe - got to roughly 20psi, didnt want to keep going as i didnt want to kill the engine

pressurised actuator - i pressurised the actuator pipe and the actuator opened at around 10psi

lowest boost i can run is around 7 -8 psi, which is about standard

highest boost i can get is 1 bar using the boost controller

turbo is good condition, no play in shaft and no crack around wastegate

has anyone got any other ideas of what i can check to diagnose whether its my car that has the problem or the boost controller? i would rather find the problem either way.

cheers

Trip

ran with no actuator pipe - got to roughly 20psi, didnt want to keep going as i didnt want to kill the engine

pressurised actuator - i pressurised the actuator pipe and the actuator opened at around 10psi

has anyone got any other ideas of what i can check to diagnose whether its my car that has the problem or the boost controller? i would rather find the problem either way.

cheers
Hey marc,

As i mentioned in this thread, i had similar problems, With actuator pipe off i was getting lots of boost, but with a manual boost controller or SBC i was getting poor boost. It ended up being a boost leak between the turbo triangular flange and the hard pipe going to the IC. A rubber/silicon 5mm gasket solved it.

i am not sure on this but if the actuator when testing it with compressor is opening at 10psi you should see 10psi without boost controller and not 7-8psi. The fact you are seeing 1 bar with boost controller i means it is "hiding" double the amount of boost when without.

williams

yeah, i can get 20psi no bother, i mean the lowest boost i can get with everything set to 0 on controller is about 8 psi, bob was saying actuator should open at about 10psi with pump/compressor on it.

trip - i will get to garage today to test the solenoid.

P

pulsarboby

yes should open at around 10psi (assuming its new, older actuators will obviously have a slightly weaker spring)
most uprated actuators open at 1 bar or 1.2 bar dependant on spring fitted

williams

i'll check the solenoid today, but if i have the controller set to 1.2 bar should the solenoid click at 1.2?

Trip

i'll check the solenoid today, but if i have the controller set to 1.2 bar should the solenoid click at 1.2?
You cannot have your controller set at 1.2Bar since there is no setting to let you dial in 1.2bar. The SBC only allows you to dial in a number from 0 to 100 as a percentage.

williams

yes, what i mean is standard is 0.6bar? so 100% should be 1.2 bar?

the highest pressure i could get to before the solenoid worked was 0.85 bar no matter how high i set it.

williams

it says in the manual it works as a percentage of the actuator pressure. so 100% should be twice the actuator pressure?

from speaking to bob my actuator seems fine and i dont seem to have any boost leaks. so dont know what else it can be?

i dont teh test trip asked me to on the solenoid and it clicked at 0.85 bar at the boost controllers highest settings.

Trip

it says in the manual it works as a percentage of the actuator pressure. so 100% should be twice the actuator pressure?

from speaking to bob my actuator seems fine and i dont seem to have any boost leaks. so dont know what else it can be?

i dont teh test trip asked me to on the solenoid and it clicked at 0.85 bar at the boost controllers highest settings.
I pm'ed you already about this. You should pressurise the boost controller and not the soleniod.. But you said it is clicking just the same so that rules out a faulty soleniod.

Trip

cheers
You said here you are getting 7-8psi, that means you are getting 0.5bar. (1bar = 14.5psi). Standard boost on a new OEM actuator is about 10psi (0.7bar)

williams

that pipe also goes to solenoid though, as it goes from plenum, to a T piece, which goes to controller and solenoid. its clicking but only at 0.85 bar.

red reading

standard actuator was 8psi, it then used a restrictor and solinoid controlled by the ECU to control what the actuator saw, so normal running conditions you got 10psi but if you had a det sensor or to higher engine temp the ecu would knock the boost back to 7-8 psi and it would pull ignition timing as well.

williams

to test the actuator I took the pipe from the actuator and put this on a compressor, the actuator opened at around 10psi.
with the boost controller on its lowest setting i got about 8psi, and with it on its highest setting i got 1 bar.
im gunna fit the avcr i have bought and see what boost i get with that, wont be able to try it for another week though as the car is away for painting and exhaust this week.

Trip

standard actuator was 8psi, it then used a restrictor and solinoid controlled by the ECU to control what the actuator saw, so normal running conditions you got 10psi but if you had a det sensor or to higher engine temp the ecu would knock the boost back to 7-8 psi and it would pull ignition timing as well.
thanks for clearing that out :thumbsup: