bare block

shroom

yer will get onto them mate, got lots of pictures and time so will have a go, yer thats a good idea, my GF can have one mom dad and maybe sister. SORTED then I can spend my money on buying new ones :p

shroom

I never learn you think you are getting a good deal but realy your not helping yourself one bit, new is probably best due to the fact you cant realy go wrong, well i say that but least there is hopefully some sort of comeback

boost

shroom.. i use to end up doing that when in the days of renault 5 turbos.. but in the end it just costs you more and with a load of ball ache.. to be perfectly honest.. sometimes no offence its better to wait and get things complete..

but thats my opinion again..

things second hand for most other things are fine tho.. do you know what im trying to say here..

Empty Pockets

If you can get can get new rings and pins in won't make a difference wether the pistons are second-hand or not (providing they're in good condition) Je will not be able to help you unless you send them a piston, i sent pics and measurements and got nowhere. If i was in your position i'd try and get my money back ( unless they can supply a part number for the rings) as you haven't already bored your block, we had to get new rings or we would of had to get a new block aswell.

shroom

brought them ages ago so no going back :doh:, i dont know anything about rings realy. how did you go about getting yours Russ? and sent your blowers off this morning so should be with you soon,

this is a royal pain in the arse, but thanks for the help guys :-D

shroom

I have the guys phone number and company, think he was selling them for a customer as they wanted a stroker rather than just forged pistons so sold them on, will contact him but not hoping for much :(

Empty Pockets

The only thing i can do to help is re-order a set of rings Tom, at 160 quid. As been suggested, it might be worth buying a new set from the states for around 300 quid, at least you will get a definitive answer on for your bore specs and comp ratio this way.

shroom

yer tbh I brought them for more or less 100 quid, buying the rings would mean i realy spend as much as getting a new pair with rings would be alot simpler, with the bores, if i just brought the 86mm standard bore would I still need the block checking out before i put them in or aslong as its not scored and decent they should just be a good replacement for standard? what would the benefits of going to 87 be other than slightly larger displacement

thanks again russ you been a great help mate :)

Empty Pockets

Standard bore is 86mm mate, you have 87mm pistons. If the cylinder walls are fine, just use a 86mm piston kit. Find yourself the block you are going to use and take it to an engineers, they will advise you wether or not it needs boring, if you find a good standard block then just use a standard size piston, whatever you do Tom, take your block to an engineers for advise, then buy pistons, then give pistons and block to the engineers for boring, in that order mate.

shroom

yer i meant to say if I just brought 86mm JE pistons or the like and put it into this standard block im gonna get would I still need to get it checked over aslong as the bores are good?, they should just be standard sized pistons so would just fit?, I just got the 87mm as they were cheap and i was stupid :( I wont bother with them tbh just get some more

Dangerous Dave

yer i meant to say if I just brought 86mm JE pistons or the like and put it into this standard block im gonna get would I still need to get it checked over aslong as the bores are good?, they should just be standard sized pistons so would just fit?, I just got the 87mm as they were cheap and i was stupid :( I wont bother with them tbh just get some more
I would still have it looked at mate just to be on the safe side;-)

shroom

ah right brilliant, thanks so much for the advise its realy making things a little bit clearer as with alot of things you can think its alot simpler than it is :D thanks again guys, so if I get a block, and get it seen by a engineer, and by engineer what exactly do you mean, a company that does machining and things like that.

shroom

Empty Pockets

Yes mate, any good engineer/machinist/engine building company local to you will be able to check it, If i remember correctly it cost about 80 quid to bore a block so shouldn't cost much to get checked Tom.

shroom

thanks for the info russ its been invaluable realy, pain in the arse sometimes you end up thinking something is gonna plan out like this and look were I have ended up lol, glad I have got on the O.C i like it already :p