bare block

shroom

Hi guys,

Im interested in anyone that has a bored out block to 87mm, I have a set of JE 87mm pistons so looking for a block to suite them if anyone has something, or some advise on how much boring a standard block out would be,

im in shropshire. :-D

thanks

shroom

Empty Pockets

As Stu said mate, although they may be the same size pistons, some will expand more than others due to the different compounds and volumes used to make them. You should have a spec sheet in with your pistons, just get your own block bored to suit.

shroom

thanks for the replies guys.

dont have the spec sheet just the pistons got them second hand out of an engine been rebuilt as a stroker, so can you measure when the bores are been bored out to suit each individual piston? or am I going down a dodgy ruite

thanks again for your help

Empty Pockets

You need to get a part number off the guy you bought them from, or if they're less than 2-3 years old it should be on the piston somewhere , then contact je for the bore specs Tom.

shroom

think there isnt realy anything on the inside of the piston just the JE sign :( will try and get hold of him but it was what looks like a part from a customer so may have no luck. bugger, ow yer will post your blowers tommorow morning chap :)

P

pulsarboby

take the pistons and unbored block to an engineers and they will measure them and bore the block, ask them to gap rings for you too! i think i have the spec for later style je's

shroom

contacted him and said it was sold :( he said may have another one coming in, will be putting some pics up of the pistons now so you can see more closely what they look like,

shroom

why the hell does it say 85m lol

http://www.jepistons.com/TechCorner/HowToIdentify.aspx

found this thought was bore size but says the following :

Forging # been the 85m : This number ONLY identifies the raw forging that was used to manufacture the piston. A large variety of bore sizes, compression heights and other design features can be applied to a single forging.

shroom

would it be any use moving this to another part of the forum as I dont want to spam the wanted section?

P

pulsarboby

those are the old style pistons, hope you have the rings with them lol

P

pulsarboby

yes oooooh dear:doh:

just had this problem when building russ's engine, the rings are a different size to later spec pistons.
pm russ (empty pockets) im sure he will enlighten you

Empty Pockets

Yeah, my little bro's engine, not my stroker fitted one.....yet lol. Bob, was there not a part number on the packet off rings as they went straight to you, save the poor sod getting his pants pulled down ? Wouldn't surprise me if they had whipped it off though, and if thats the case you're looking at 160 quid for a set ;~(

shroom

be more than I payed for the bloody things :doh: LOL

thanks guys for the great help your giving, be it shit news hehe I could always use them as orniments around the house or hang them on my wall

so seriously there useless realy ? or gonna cost alot for rings :violin:

boost

if it was me.. for the price of it.. might aswell say fook it and order a new pistons set complete for piece of mind.. then you know everythings ok.. but hay this is only my opinion lads..

Keith

boost

drop je a email.. give them as much detail as possible to try and get your rings..

i know maybe im the type that wants everything just so.. i mean when your chucking lots of stress through an engine i want to know theres everything possible in that engine to handle it.. well good luck with what you decide.

keith

ps pistons make great paper weights.. and being the festive season and all that.. thats 4 peoples presents done..;)