500bhp & torque query?

skiddusmarkus

I was told the standard HG is 1.4mm.Most people going for a fairly boggo rebuild will get forged pistons,1.2mm HG,ARP rod bolts and maybe HKS 264 cams and get charged about £3k for it.Those wanting to run a bit more boost seem to go for the 1.6mm or even 2mm HG from HKS.

R

robinsongtir

gonna run up to 2bar 2.1bar on 1.2mm HG with optimax fuel ind gasket helps a lot with gaining that extra amount of torque capabillity 2mm headgaskets are killing the torque on most cars

R

robinsongtir

lol we will see :wink:
can't believe no one has gone for bigger valves either apart from me ??

LOU ROB

skiddusmarkus said:
We don't see high torque because the cars with the big turbos haven't been on the RR or if they have have got misleading readings(Lou and Bruce's cars).
Cheers Simon, after my last set of weird figures, i'm gonna steer clear of rolling roads, and leave it to the times + terminals :wink: :D

But I am thinking of getting it tested on a dynometer ( I think thats what they are called :oops: ) :D :lol:

A

Anonymous

LOU ROB said:
But I am thinking of getting it tested on a dynometer ( I think thats what they are called :oops: ) :D :lol:
try getting a price 1st :shock: 2-3k to get it on the rig,then there's the actual time fine tuning it which could take a few hours at anywhere between £50-£100 an hour.

GINGA

skiddusmarkus said:
I think Alan and Gingas cars are(or were)in the top 5 that have been rolling roaded with around 400lbft of torque which off a relatively small turbo and lowish boost(about 1.6bar :?: ) isn't bad.
Mine and Allens car both made around the 320lbft at 1.3/4bar :( Habibs made 580nm (400lbft ish?) on a proper engine dyno with 2 bar iirc and Bruce (oap R) also made 400lbft with 2 bar on a rolling road iirc
Another problem is that the torque figures are only high peak figures but then soon drop off again after the peak where a good torque would hold much flatter which points to a effiency problem somewhere in the spec iirc :?:
In a ideal world it would be nice if it would hit peak torque at say 3k rpm then held pretty much flat to the redline 8) but how you get the engine to do that is beyond me lol

GINGA

oap-r said:
LOU ROB said:
try getting a price 1st :shock: 2-3k to get it on the rig,then there's the actual time fine tuning it which could take a few hours at anywhere between £50-£100 an hour.
I think Lou means a dyno pack where the dynos bolt to the hubs so eliminating wheel spin etc

nismoboy

Could it be the quad throttle bodies we have on our cars thats killing the torque? obviously its good for low end torque but what about top end and high powered pulsars :?:

R

robinsongtir

yes I think so one higherpowered cars anyway e.g upwards of 1.6bar boost.How to prove I don't know but that is my opinion

nismoboy

is there anywhere we can get a single throttle body from in the uk? maybe an evo inlet manifold and throttle body would fit? or maybe a 200sx one? any ideas :?:

JU5TY

Surely it wouldn’t be that hard to convert the stock system, just spot weld over the old butterfly attachment holes in each runner and convert the end of the plenum to accommodate a single throttle.

skiddusmarkus

Ginga-I should have checked your power graph really :oops: .I thought you made more than that.I still think it had more potential(other than to blow up :wink: )if a pro mapper had fettled it for you.Not many people go the extra mile and usually let their tuner map it.They may be very good but ultimately someone who maps race engines for a living is going to get more out of it.

My old engine held it's torque really well once on boost and only dropped about 15lbft over the last 2000rpm.It made for very linear accelleration.

zia

to convert the stock manifold for single would be quite easy, but the fact that is that changing from quad to single would only be for drag use, low down power would suffer and have drivebility issues due no dual stage throttle (i.e one big throttle plate with no control on inlet air flow at low rpm), the quad,s aren,t the limiting factor infact they help achieve better torque on more broader range if mapped properly. if you looked at the greddy manifold they are replica of our manifold minus the bodies, sure you could design a better mani but you,d need big buck,s to do the testing on proper engine dyno, things like throttle plate dia/runner lengths,dia of runners,bellmouths, all come into play.

zia

E

Edd

ill have single throttle body and all the plneum possibly for sale soon :wink:

A

Anonymous

skiddusmarkus said:
We don't see high torque because the cars with the big turbos haven't been on the RR or if they have have got misleading readings(Lou and Bruce's cars).
who says the results are misleading :shock: consider for a mo that DP have never built an R that can get anything like decent power figures on a r/r the way that other tuners can on other peoples r/r's.

afaik,my car has produced the biggest figures for a DP built R with 381bhp & 407lb/ft.hardly awe inspiring considering the cost and the spec.

could it be that there is something amiss with the way that DP spec their cars compared to other tuners :?: :?

skiddusmarkus

Maybe Bruce but that's for another thread.I just think that after being in your car when it was still being run in at 0.7bar or whatever and feeling how quick it was that it should have made more than 407lbft at 2bar.