500bhp & torque query?

S

stuart rawlinson

kieron said:
if you'd have only said those words about 2months ago you'd be getting a phone call :cry:

for £9000 thats a f o o king bargain :cry: :cry: :cry: and i could have been just like edd and ruined it all by myself :lol: :lol:
LOL at Edds comment :D but True :) :)

B

Bream

sam_elassar said:
never would have thought that i would meet you here jeff ;), so i thought i will do my first post.

i think the gti-r will be a great car to convert for sprints and TOTB however there is few things that would need to be changed in your list. first is obviously the suspension. the last couple of gti-r i have mapped ( very quick cars) feel very scary at high speed :shock: :oops: so a good suspension set up and some aerodynamics wont go a miss. the other things you can strip it down it even lighter, the bonnet for example is very heavy but that is your speciality ;)

turbos

i would avoid the turbo on the link and probably stick with a new age turbo, you can get a custom manifold with T3 flange then it will be criminal not to fit a 3071r 0.63 exhuast housing on it. you will get full boost before 4000revs and over 450bhp all day long if the engine can take it. i hvae seen the manifold and looks very well made, a guy called Rishigtir on here has it. lets face it jeff you are not used to lag ;)

ecu
power fc, or power fc pro are nice and cheap, ZX300 maf sensor, 700cc injectors and we are ready to go really.

you get gems, but the ecu has not had any development on it for 10years or so, so would not really go there but i can get you one if you want as usual.

motec also do an ecu for the gtir but i have not mapped one yet, but i think i have got one lined up for the next couple of months.

sam
merry christmas
Well fcuk me, of all the places to meet a Dentist :lol:

Mate, you know me, always looking ahead, EVOs are in my blood but I can't help but look for something different :wink:

B

Bream

stuart rawlinson said:
Bream said:
Very true, as I know from bitter experience you need more than luck when building a car :(

But at least I'm in the trade, so to say and have contacts for spannering and mapping. Should save me a few quid here and there :wink:

The other option of course it to buy something near what I want and then just convert it, for 8k this seems pretty well sorted: http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=26816 :)
Or for 9K you can have mine
and it comes with 2.2, Motec M48 pro, big tubby, Quife box Os twin plate and the other 25k ive spent on it for FREE, and its done no more than 2500 miles on its rebuild

As i work away now it just sits here doing howt :cry:

Stu
:shock: man, that's a lot of car for 9k, where abouts can your car be viewed?

B

Bream

kieron said:
GINGA said:
Wouldn't bother trying to win anything against the skylines,evo's and scoobs though as there just better set out cars than the gtir you'll probably end up spending considerably more on the gtir just to get it close to the same level as the others :(
you beat me to it :(

with the pulsar theres far to much to do to get it handling half decently let alone better than the newer cars with their fancy electronic driver aiding gizmos :wink: .

its good fun trying :D but any of your evo driving mates will take great delight in telling you you're wasting your time :( :roll: :lol:

Imho the pulsar makes a very good project car as theres so much you need to improve that nissan never got as far as developing and it will certainly keep you busy 8)
I don't do fancy elecy gizmos, I like it raw, hence my RS EVO :wink:

And, I don't care what car I race against, GTiR, Scooby, EVO, GTR, whatever, you've always got a chance to beat em 8)

Keira

if your serious about getting a pulsar this is the one to go for, i've spent far more than that on getting the yellow car, getting loads of parts together and i still aint nowhere near done. In fact i'm still taking bits off it and havn't even started re-building it yet :roll: :lol:

with a little money you can make it your own and have an awesome f o o king car :shock: 8) :wink:

like i said earlier if this was 2 months ago i'd be up there now :cry: i'm actually a tad gutted :( But i still love my yellow p i s s pot, just got lots of work to do.

and stu...you can send me the cheque for my sales patter after christmas

zia

and it comes with 2.2, Motec M48 pro, big tubby, Quife box Os twin plate and the other 25k ive spent on it for FREE, and its done no more than 2500 miles on its rebuild

As i work away now it just sits here doing howt
damn, if only ....... :lol:
hell of a car for that kind of money,
jeff why would you want a pulsar after having that evo monster, surely you must be able beat the other competing mlr members with your setup?
zia

B

Bream

zia said:

As i work away now it just sits here doing howt
damn, if only ....... :lol:
hell of a car for that kind of money,
jeff why would you want a pulsar after having that evo monster, surely you must be able beat the other competing mlr members with your setup?
zia
Hi Zia, to be honest I'm skint and as much as I love my EVO I have to be realistic about going forward. Sure I want to enjoy motorsport and the scene but like most things in life, if you aint got the money what do you do?

Knowing EVOs very well and most of their drivers I'm sure I can do well in any car that's half competative :wink:

Keira

Bream said:
Knowing EVOs very well and most of their drivers I'm sure I can do well in any car that's half competative :wink:
thats one of the best quotes i've read on here 8) cos thats my sentiments exactly, especially with owning a 12year old badly developed car :lol:

seriously look into stu's if you want a pulsar, i'm still i'm sat here kicking myself :cry:

zia

i think bhp per pound the r is hard to beat but if your competition driven then having reliablitiy would be the top of your agenda, having a good base to start from would save you loads, and obviously you don,t want to repeat the learning curve of what does and does not work with the pulsar as you did with the evo, it get,s expensive. The only thing is begining from scratch is that you can create unique spec car with knowledge that you,ve done and researched it your self!! which for me what it,s all abought rather than how much money you,ve spent on it! :wink:

zia

Keira

zia said:
The only thing is begining from scratch is that you can create unique spec car with knowledge that you,ve done and researched it your self!! which for me what it,s all abought rather than how much money you,ve spent on it! :wink:

zia
agreed, but building it is where you spend your money, and i've done most of mine so far for far less then retail but it still aint cheap :( a car like this coming up for anyone building a car is a godsend imho.....

common sense says buy one already done and make it your own :wink:

i'm starting with a f u cked engine that needs full re-build ( not the one in the car ) and other than being yellow and having a roll cage is basically standard, that means mucho money spent to get it anywhere near decent spec and lots of hard work which to me is what its all about but if you're starting with a sensibly priced, very good car in the first place think what you'd achieve :wink: :shock:

O

Odin

sam_elassar said:
motec also do an ecu for the gtir but i have not mapped one yet, but i think i have got one lined up for the next couple of months
You sure do fella 8) :wink: .

rob

GINGA

Doubt you'll see 500ftlb of torque from a R engine though even on very well developed engines with 2bar boost the best torque I remember is about 450ish (580nm on Habibs?)
They just don't seem to be very torque friendly engines for some reason :?:

ashills

bream cant believe u dont look at the early evo if u wanna cheaper base car with very cheap parts about
through 20k at my gtir (inc buying it) in a year and it was a good car but for 10k ( that i got breaking the R ) ive bought an evo 1 and a new engine and box to take around 600bhp
not turning u away from the gtir as there a very good car in a straight line and id have loved to have kept both but i think the strong box in the evo and the very good handling as standard made it to good a deal
if ur gonna do the gtir keep it 2litre rev it to 8k at 2 bar and u will see 500bhp and all really needed on the bottom end is
forged pistons
headgasket
rod bolts
balance it all
cams in the head with some better springs and rocker stoppers
job done just the rest of the car to redo LOL

E

Edd

and f*cking pray the trasnmission doesnt end up in 5 millions pieces :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

O

Odin

Well if you didn't drive it like a chav on speed you would be ok matey :roll: .

rob

skiddusmarkus

We don't see high torque because the cars with the big turbos haven't been on the RR or if they have have got misleading readings(Lou and Bruce's cars).

Most people stick with either the standard turbo or a hybrid T28 which isn't going to run 2bar+ like a GT30/40 whatever would.
,so realisticly isn't going to make more than 400lbft if you're lucky.

I think Alan and Gingas cars are(or were)in the top 5 that have been rolling roaded with around 400lbft of torque which off a relatively small turbo and lowish boost(about 1.6bar :?: ) isn't bad.

Another reason the engines don't make the torque IMO is because most people fit a thicker headgasket when raising the boost and lower the compression.I think I've got the thinnest fitted now(1mm),at least I've never come across anyon on here or that I've met with one as the thinnest they usually go is 1.2mm with a HKS gasket.It's not going to make a huge difference but it all adds up on the quest for power/torque and an engine with a higher CR is going to make more power than one with a lower CR on the same boost,assuming no det and all other things being equal.Obviously tuners fit these gaskets to make a safer engine or at the owners request.

N

Ninj-r

Bream said:
Thanks for all your replies, I had looked through the FAQs section but it seemed limited on answer all my questions.

Many thanks to Skids who's car I will be driving to Sweden at the weekend thanks to his kind offer :shock: :lol: More seriously, I might just take up that offer in the new year before spending any money.

I'm just looking at the possibility of building a car capable of winning all sprint events and TOTB4 handling on a budget. My honest answer is no but you never know, so far the list stacks up like this:

£3500 for this car: http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=27087

Stick on this turbo for 2.5k: http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=27321

fit a quaife gearbox for 2k

Say another 2k for odds and sods.

Mapped by my good friend Sam 'The Dentist'!

=£10k for a reasonable well sorted GTiR.......

Doesn't it :?:
To get a 5oohp GTi-R you will be realistically be looking at 20,000 + cost of the car TJ can do it and I was gonna get it done but I couldn't justify it to the wife even if it is only 2 months salary :shock: so I am planning on doing it bit by bit 8)

I know of Sam Elassar - hobbyist engine mapper - apparentley a skilled man

R

robinsongtir

I am expecting well over 500ftl/b from my engine and the comp ratio should be similar to a std car using a 1.2mm headgasket.Totally agree with skiddus about the turbos used on most previous Rs about mostlyy T28 based and a lot of people have only been using lowish lift cams not using vernier pullies to make the best use out of them.
If you look at most evo engines they are running close to 2bar on 2litre engines to get 400ftl/b torque