1.2 bar question

keastygtir

Hi guys

I have searched and not found a definitive answer.

This is my spec

Standard engine, MAF, Injectors, ecu (afaik)

Uprated filter, exhaust, plugs, fuel pump, breather mods, t28 360 bearing, short run FMIC, alloy rad

The currently runs 1 bar and runs well. I took the car out with laptop attached to ecu (nissan datascan) and recorded a high speed run through the gears. (private road)

The maximum duty cycle on the injectors was 72% for only a short time.

Can I run 1.2 bar saftley?

Thanks

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I wouldn't just whack it up and hope for the best... the chances are quite good that it will work for you, but I'd set it up on a rolling road where you can keep an eye on the AFM (unless you have one in your dash). - In terms of the standard ECU, you're in a grey area of the map. Some say it shouldn't work, but anecdotally it does.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I'm afraid there is no "definitive" answer to this one. If you max out your MAF voltage then the ECU just throws in petrol. You need to get a lambda guage on it really. From a reliability perspective, more boost equals more stress on everything. Components might fail anyway and 1.2bar is "safe" but my first engine failed at 1.2bar so make your own mind up.

keastygtir

Thats intersting, I thought the most restrictive would be the injectors and not the AFM at that boost level

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
All my useful experience is on a Z32 so its only what I've read but you should get a feel for the headroom in the MAF on your datascan at 1Bar.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm afraid there is no "definitive" answer to this one. If you max out your MAF voltage then the ECU just throws in petrol. You need to get a lambda guage on it really. From a reliability perspective, more boost equals more stress on everything. Components might fail anyway and 1.2bar is "safe" but my first engine failed at 1.2bar so make your own mind up.
I remember having the discussion with you about what constituted the limit of (relatively) stock components. - The conclusion at that time was that 1.2bar probably shouldn't work, but for some reason it did.

That's the reason I wouldn't recommend just dialing it up to 1.2bar and crossing your fingers. - It seems to me that different cars achieve different limits with similar components. You've got to wonder if it's something as simple as the vortexing of air through the filter maximising the potential of the MAF or some such thing.

If Danny says he got to 1.43bar, then I'm not disputing it. - I can't imagine there's much more headroom than that though.

red reading

The turbo would'nt make any more power by upping the boost further after about 1.45bar george,it does seem to vary from car to car by quite alot i will admit

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The problem with threads like this is they make me want to fiddle with mine and see how high I could take the boost safely...

guider

my r is has the boost set 1.0 low and 1.2 high,running standard maf other mods ect. im shit scared to run the high setting as i cant afford a rebuild

RO_SUNNY

that car would run 21psi gabriel which is about 1.43 bar when i had it;-)

Yeah Danny I know what you are saying but....I never had the guts to run it at 21 psi.......

Just once over a 3 or 4 1/4 miles I've set the boost controller on high , wich was, 18 psi and then gain it with 2% :D:D:D:D