wiseco pistons

dazgtir400

Time 4 rebuild so looking at pistons!!
hearing reports of wiseco pistons being very noisey wen cold (slapping) etc!!
pros & cons if ur running them please!!
cheers Daz

EVOBAD

well i had a rebuild with G E pistons few years back they were a bit noisy,a freind rebuild his with wiseco and werent as bad as the ge pistons

nimhbk

Ive had JE's which were really noisy when cold. HKS at the moment and no noise at all.
Who actualy makes hks Pistons!
I bet its one on the big companys, cp, J.E, Wiesco. and then HKS slap HKS on them and sell them for twice the price, like they do with many of the other products!!!

EVOBAD

yeh you'll find most of the hks stuff has been made by companys then indorsed with there stamp, i think cp,je or wiesco are pretty good ,dont go buying them for silly money from dealers in this country,i got my from the states best place to do your shoping

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Even with the cost of shipping and import duty?
I guess the pound is quite strong against the dollar at the moment...

gtirx2

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54009&page=3&highlight=pistons

I run the wiseco pistons and tbh am pretty happy with them.They are not noisey at all on start up, proberly because they have offset pin holes like the standard pistons unlike the cp's or je's.
The only time you maybe able to hear a bit of slap is at very very light load at 2500-3000rpm ish,i have only heared it a couple of times and you have to listen very hard to hear it but i think it was a bit of piston slap,think this is proberly due to to the short skirts on the pistons.

Oh and most of the bore wear marks i mentioned in the thread above where down to a broken turbo and bits going through the engine.
I beleave all 2618 alloy pistons will wear the bores eventually due to cold starts and slap.

I have been using CP`s in my engine. And have been bang on the last 6 Months.

Engine has currently been stripped again due to a low oil pressure problem. And the pistons are still in immaculate condition, Just black on the top, but a quick clean will have them nice and clean again.

But go for the best you can afford, doesnt mean go buy HKS ones just for the name.

I looked at JE and CP and best price i got from CP, so They got fitted and are bang on with my Farndon Rods :), which supply rods to HKS and are branded HKS !!!!

dazgtir400

Alrite Dave, cheers for that!! Very helpful! Could you give me a bit more info on your engine?? Boost levels, compression, bore size!!
I’m currently running standard engine with fmic, gt3071r with 64 housing! Ive got hks cams 2 go in with the new build! ive found a forged rebuild kit consisting of wiseco pistons, eagle h-beam rods, acl big & main bearing, cometic head gasket!! ill do water & oil pump 2!! ill be using the car just weekends mostly & i live on the isle of Wight so its all about acceleration!! im looking 4 about 400bhp!! Let me know what u think!!:thumbsup:

P

pulsarboby

we use cp's in our builds and have never had a prob with them
hks are very good pistons but very pricey also, deffo dont warrant almost 3 times the cost of cp.

i know a lot of people will disagree with me but i really do not like je pistons...i dont like the way they or wiesco design the area around the gudgeon pin which if theres an overheating problem can cause meltdown on gudgeon pin hole to bottom ringland (ive seen this happen on a few occasions now)that area is quite narrow so becomes a natural source for heat transfer, ive many pics of failiures on various engines using these pistons built by various companies!
also with je they seem to be more susceptible to det damage across the cutouts in the piston crown as once again this become a source for heat at narrowest point where valve cutouts are.

obviously both wiesco and je (which i believe are made by same company anyway) have carried out a lot of research into piston design etc and these things are done for a reason.
i on the other hand am just a mere hairy assed mechanic:lol: so
this is just my own personal view on what ive seen and the reason why i will not use them anymore.

Daz current engine is running, a sleeved block to 86.5mm with CP 8.5:1 Pistons.
Standard crank with ACl bearings on MAins and big ends, and genuine nissan thrust washers.
Pistons are connected to FArndon rods that are GTiR specific so 19mm bearings alround.
Head is ported and running HKS 264 cams, and this sits on a Cosworth 1.8mm Head Gasket.
Going to be running car on a standard tubby the now, to i decide whether to pick up another 2871r or a 3071r.

ALso another new oil pump fitted aswell, so hopefully my low oil pressure problem will be resolved now.

dazgtir400

Cheers Davie, I'm going 2 go 4 the wiseco pistons!! The car goes in garage 2moz 2 get strip down!! so find out what state shes in soon!! Where did u get ya oil pump from? & how much u pay??

ollydj

hi ive literally put the first 150 miles on my new enigine with je pistons, and to be fair the slap from clod is getting less the more i use it. It only rattles for the 30 seconds or so after starting after that its as quiet as my old standard lump i had init before.

ashills

Alrite Dave, cheers for that!! Very helpful! Could you give me a bit more info on your engine?? Boost levels, compression, bore size!!
I’m currently running standard engine with fmic, gt3071r with 64 housing! Ive got hks cams 2 go in with the new build! ive found a forged rebuild kit consisting of wiseco pistons, eagle h-beam rods, acl big & main bearing, cometic head gasket!! ill do water & oil pump 2!! ill be using the car just weekends mostly & i live on the isle of Wight so its all about acceleration!! im looking 4 about 400bhp!! Let me know what u think!!:thumbsup:

dont use the cometic headgasket get a cosworth one or hks

dazgtir400

Why!! I haven't had any bad reports!! There well known & seam 2 know wot there doing!! You've oveousley had sum issues?? Tell me more!!

Daz i used a cometic on my last pulsar engine, and it destroyed my freshly built engine.
Let pressure out bores and into water jacket and burstthe 2 main hoses at the back of the block, and roasted the engine too, as the standard temp sensor is magic for showing an over heating engine.

dazgtir400

Ok not going with cometic now!! thanks for that!!:thumbsup:
found a cosworth 1 but it 4 200sx so needs a little modding!! is this dodge or ok 2 dooooo!!