Which of these braided hoses is right?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've just got a new set of 4 braided brake hoses but comparing them to the 2 Goodridge ones I have they are made for a different flare on the brake pipe. Right one's convex and left one's concave, so one of them is wrong.

hoses.jpg

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Apparently they're a HEL hose and have a dual purpose fitting to use male or female flares. Looking at it the female flare has hardly any contact area, so I wouldn't be happy using it.

Has anyone used these hoses before?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've got HEL lines in my car, but I didn't really look at them that closely. - Most of the effort was in getting the rubber lines off, and the braided ones went on nicely afterwards.

I've never noticed any leaking, so I assume the unions are sound.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I got the clutch hose too, but that was even more of a pain to fit than the brake lines.

MarkTurbo

What was the problem fitting the clutch line? They're usually not too bad.

Looking at it the female flare has hardly any contact area, so I wouldn't be happy using it.
Those dual seat fittings are a compromise, I don't really like them. They'll seal ok but will deform the flare on the brake pipe a bit more than the proper concave or convex fitting.

Goodridge ones are better ;-)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I agree on the Goodridge (no favouritism obviously :p)

Mark is there a specification for the diameter across the open end of the flare? The one's I've measures go from about 6.7-7.6mm on a 3/16th pipe. The ridge on that edge of that concave Hel is about 6mm the best I can measure it, that leaves 0.35- 0.8mm best case of flare to overlap and seal.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What was the problem fitting the clutch line? They're usually not too bad.
Getting it off the hard pipe on the body. - Once I got it undone it was really easy to change it at the other end and bleed the line.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've just knocked up a couple of flares and the HEL does butt end to end. The flare isn't wide enough to slip over the end like the Goodridge does.

pipes.jpg

I also noticed the pipe on the HEL sat slightly offset where as the Goodridge one sat perfectly central.

This is with a softer cunifer pipe, I'm not sure how it will cope with the original steel pipe.

MarkTurbo

The steel pipe will more than likely end up looking the same. As for sitting offset sometimes that can be down to the flaring tool or because the flare doesn't locate as well on the dual seat fitting its easier to do it up on the piss.

I'll dig out the specs but off the top of my head the o.d of the flare should be around 6.9-7mm and the inside should be no less than the i.d of the tube. Looking at the one you've already done I'd go in a bit more with the 2nd punch, that'll help make it fit the Hel fitting a bit better.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
A quick measurement with my verniers gives 7.47 on the outside diameter of the flare and 6.1mm inside the HEL circle. I deliberately made that one slightly bigger, the other flare is 7.07mm. I'm using a Flaremaster2.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That's rather confusing because I read it as saying "never use a single flare for automotive fittings unless it's cunifer tubing, in which chase the Japanese standard is acceptable."

DIN is a German standard; do European cars get a bubble flare?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah, I found a copy of that somewhere else last night Mark. Using those figures, the 3/16th double/sae converts to 6.91mm+-.18mm so 6.73 to 7.09mm. So my oversize flare is out of spec and my "small" one is in spec.

George, on my travels around the net this weekend, I've seen similar but says don't use it on brakes at all, a single flare allegedly can't hold the pressure, but on fuel lines it's supposed to be ok.

MarkTurbo

Yeah, I found a copy of that somewhere else last night Mark. Using those figures, the 3/16th double/sae converts to 6.91mm+-.18mm so 6.73 to 7.09mm. So my oversize flare is out of spec and my "small" one is in spec.
I wouldn't get too hung up on the od, what's inside is more important ;-)

What did you do in the end? Would be good to know the diameter of the top of the convex part of that fitting.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Waiting for HEL to send me some with the correct fitting on. They sent me some but with the double flare on not the male part that goes in to the flare. :roll: