Which are the best rods for 550 bhp and more?

Thor

Hello,

i will rebuild my engine these winter. So now i will get new rods. Which rods are good for 550 - 600 bhp?

cheers
Sascha

red reading

You will only need rod's if you are going to rev the car higher than standard for long period's of time,then any of the brand name(pauter,carillo,arrow)will do

warringtonjack

Is there any benefit in having a lighter set of rods? I know the standard ones are fine and dandy strengthwise, but I'd have thought there were some lighter aftermarket rods out there. :noidea:

stumo

I've got a spare set of new Pauters that i might sell you.

I want £400 but you'll need to get new bolts

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
That's funny, when I asked Stu his opinion on rods the other day for your car, I didn't realise he had a spare set. Sasha, I just read your email, do you need to decide if you want more power first. Have you decided on 550hp now?

Thor

That's funny, when I asked Stu his opinion on rods the other day for your car, I didn't realise he had a spare set. Sasha, I just read your email, do you need to decide if you want more power first. Have you decided on 550hp now?
Yeah that´s the question?! What would you do?

stumo

Would just like to add that we were initially going for around 550bhp with our build and had read around some places that standard rods would be fine. Agra engineers are doing the build and they strongly recommended that we didn't use standard rods. We are now going for 600 horses and we are using Eagle rods which they said would be fine..
I'd say Agra are one of, if not THE best in the uk when it comes to Pulsars and Johno especially knows his stuff so i take what ever he says in very high regard

Not trying to disrespect peoples input just sharing what information ive managed to gather with those that were looking for answers like we were!:thumbsup:

So why did my AGRA fitted liners drop and i get water in my oil?? :roll:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah that´s the question?! What would you do?
I'll email you sometime Sasha but seeing as how you are getting interested in going around corners as well as straight lines then I wouldn't go for a bigger turbo.

If you don't go for a bigger turbo then you don't need to change your rods as so far so good.

noriek2003

the torque of an engine has nothing to do with what weight has been removed from the bottom end, lots of high power drag engines use ali rods which weigh alot loss than steel rods, the reason to lighten rotating parts is to get the engine to rev up quicker and not waste power/energy turning the engine over. You will lose some 'kinetic' energy using lighter parts, its noticable with just a flywheel change, as easily as it revs up it will lose revs if that makes sense, but it wont effect torque output.

as for eagle rods, i'd rather use standards..lol