Wheel wobble

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Sorry to revive this one, but can someone tell me what size the hub nut is? - I think mine is loose, and I want to tighten it... but I'm going to need a new socket for that and I want to buy the right one.

skiddusmarkus

The massive one?I don't know the size but know its probably the tightest on the car so don't be using any weedy socket drives on it or you will break the ratchet action

olliecast

As said earlier mate, check the torque levels in the manual as they need to be very tight, approx 80 nm I think (or as tight as I myself could get them)

johnny gtir

now and again but quiet rare you get dodgy tyres. i had a set of toyos when i had my almera checked everything time and time again nothing worked. got wheels balanced every few hundred mile then it would start to happen again got a new set of toyos and put them on the same wheels same car no wobble on car at all ever again some tyres need wheels balanced once they lose a bit tired but this set had me going mad

skiddusmarkus

On my everyday car I had a bit of a wobble on changing gear and it would drift about at speed.I had it all checked out at a local garage(for free) but couldn't fnd anything.It turned out to be a wishbone bush and was spotted on the MOT.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The only reason I think it's the hub nut is that the wishbones (and bushes) aren't that old, so neither is the ball joint. The wheel bearing makes no noise (i.e. no rumble), and the CV joint doesn't click.
However, I've got this odd noise associated with the suspension that comes and goes, and I noticed that when I had the wheel off I had some play in the brake disc... so I put the wheel nuts back on, and I think the play is in the hub. I've already had the hub nut tightened once before, so I think it has worked loose again; maybe the locking crown thing isn't doing a good job.

Tim

My did appear to be wheel balancing, I had the same wheels fitted to another car before having them re-balanced and didn't have a problem. Go figure..

J

JeremyGti-r

mis-shapen tyres maybe? sorry didnt get up over the weekend got me hands full at the mo with my missus being very pregnant!

skiddusmarkus

Did you wire brush the hubs/disks to get them nice and clean/level?Little specks of rust could stop the wheel lieing flat against it.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Sorry to revive this one, but can someone tell me what size the hub nut is? - I think mine is loose, and I want to tighten it... but I'm going to need a new socket for that and I want to buy the right one.
Well, it's definitely better for having tightened it... I've still got a bit of a funny noise, so maybe that's not entirely due to the loose nut (perhaps the loose nut is symptomatic of whatever is making the noise). :roll:

However, wheel wobble is gone and the steering feels more solid... but it looks like it has been eating the inside edge of the tyre. :doh: