Wheel wobble

Tim

I've got a very annoying wheel wobble problem, it appears to be intermittent and will come in at around 70mph. I can't drive through it either.

So far i've..

- Fitted spigot rings
- Had wheels and tyres balanced
- Tracking checked

Can anyone think of anything else i can check?

The puzzling thing is that it comes and goes, I can't seem to find the condition in which causes it. One other thing is that my steering wheel has slightly offset when travelling straight, after my trackday, the wheel is now centred? I can also watch the wheel track from left to right slowly when travelling in a straight line..

I'll have the car in the air on tuesday and wednesday so will have a good snoop around, my guess is something is loose but not quite sure what it could be.

It has me stumped :fish:

stumo

it's anything on the suspension or steering that can wear out or bent.....that means thet you'll have to check everything

olliecast

you said your wheel was straight when leaving mine wasn`t it?

is it moving side to side without changing the cars direction?

Tim

After the long day Ollie it looked straight to me but once i got on the motorway it was slightly offset, no big drama and i'm sure it's not what's causing my problem as it was like it before we did the geo. I just thought it was worth mentioning that it changed during the track day.

The car doesn't change direction when the steering wheel moves, it only drifts about 10mm either way

olliecast

when i last checked mine there was a good deal of play in the steering rack.
It was also commented on the amount of play in mine when i took it in to get aligned before i started doing it myself. I`d check for that, as i get a similar thing but 100mph + on track.

i plan to get it changed for a recon`ed unit eventually when the engine goes pop

keastygtir

I get this it really gets up my nose! Do check that your strut bolts are super tight, this was causing my tracking to keep going out (thanks Bob). I would also check that your brakes are not binding or disks badly worn as I think this is what causes mine

willgbr

havent hit a nasty pot hole or out have ya? When we first got the pulsar we had a problem like that where over 60mph or so it would wobble and be awful to drive, we got tracking done, wheels balanced etc and still had the problem..
then we went to Z Cars one day to fix a problem with the knock sensor and get it on the dyno and when we went to pick it up he said our wheels were like 50 pence peices lol

Tim

It could be the hubnut I guess, i've had the driveshaft off and may not have tightened it enough, and yes it's worse the less smooth the road is.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I had a problem like this, and I thought the wheel bearing was gone... then Shaun did the hub nut up for me, and it went away.

darkyGTI-R

I still have wheel wobble after i've had them aligned grrrrrr,but I was told by my mechanic friend that you also need to have the wheels balanced:doh:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I still have wheel wobble after i've had them aligned grrrrrr,but I was told by my mechanic friend that you also need to have the wheels balanced:doh:
They should have balanced the wheels when you had the tyres fitted. Have you lost some of the weights off them?