Wheel offset (again) 16's

rayman75

i have had a look through a couple of threads, and havent really got a clear answer.

right im on 17', and i want a set of 16's i have a set of 285mm willwoods, now what i want to know is what offset have people have got on 16's with willwoods on. also what size tyres have you got aswell?

i have found a nice set of wheels they are PCD=100 and offset=EO40 just wondering do you think theses will clear my calipers.

i know sunny/pulsar offset is P.C.D. 4 x 100 Offset 35...42 C/Bore 59.0

is it larger the number the more they stick out or the other way round?

rayman75

right i think i have got it, the centre line of the wheel, if it the offset is smaller means the hub will be closer to the centre line of the wheel and the other way round if the number is larger will stick out further to the out side of the wheel.

so what are your offsets on the above setup anyone.

Mr GTiR

rayman75 said:
im on 17', and i want a set of 16's i have a set of 285mm willwoods
If your on 285mm Willwoods why not go down to 15"? Cheaper tyres and good accelration on 15" ;-)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
rayman75 said:
right i think i have got it, the centre line of the wheel, if it the offset is smaller means the hub will be closer to the centre line of the wheel and the other way round if the number is larger will stick out further to the out side of the wheel.

You are right in what you say, but the effect is that the smaller offset makes the wheel sit further out in the wheel arch due to the mating face already sitting closer to the hub and conversely a larger offset will move the wheel further into the wheel arch because the mating face is now further away from the hub before you bolt it up.

rayman75

Mr GTiR said:
If your on 285mm Willwoods why not go down to 15"? Cheaper tyres and good accelration on 15" ;-)

i know but i do like the size of 17's on the R and i suppose the 16's will still look fairly good.

i might look at 15's, so would a 40 offset be to close to the calipers then???

Mr GTiR

oldaneal said:
will 285's fit behind 15's then
Yes.

stumo said:
it also depends on the design of the wheel, not just the offset.
Very good point as i had 16" BK wheels but could not fit the Willwoods. Stuck a set of 16" OZ Super T's and they fitted.

Most cheap wheels have flat spokes and will not clear uprated calipers. Get some decent motorsport wheels and the spokes are specificly designed to clear the calipers.

SunOnGTiR

Hello,currently on 17 inch OZ crono evos with 37mm offset.
Going to put on 15 inch OZ superleggeras with 37 mm offset:thumbsup:
The leggeras SHOULD fit over the Wilwoods with 280mm discs:pray:
They are effing light wheels,much,much lighter than the 17s.

rayman75

cheers thats graet mate, 37mm is there are a set of wheels for sale near me with a 35mm offset so they should fit fine.

cheers.