What Tyres are you all using?

red reading

Yokohama a539 (i think) at the moment or eagle f1's in the past for road use in the summer,and cheap shite nankang things in the winter for slip sliding fun.

Tyremonkey

I'm running on pirelli on mine. Would advise against putting directional tyres on your R cos there shit! Been proven that they are prone to aqua plaining and will go out of shape! most companies have gone to assimetrical tyres apart from the cheap tyres! Says it all. Would say best to avoid yoko will grain and go off at motorway runs the pirelli have been good or a bridgestone. But it's your money when it comes to it so spend what you can afford.

Pulsey

Is anyone running a048Rs? Thinking about getting some on 14s

used to use then on the mini when I raced and they where spot on! they did wear quickly but I was using soft the soft compound ones

Last edited:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I'd anyone running a048Rs? Thinking about getting some on 14s

used to use then on the mini when I raced and they where spot on! Wear quickly buy I did use soft
Yeah I did, this is why I say that for road use they are pointless

Unless you get some decent heat into them then they are no better than cheapo tyres.

Don't forget that these are semi SLICK tyres and they need heat to work.

I used some for a track day at Donington Park a few years back and they were great, however the day after when popping to a friends house the car felt "slippy" and I almost mated with a hedge due to them being cold/not up to full working temp.

I did push them a little harder to get some heat into them, but if I have to hammer it everywhere to get my tyres to work then you've got the wrong tyres your going to have an accident or three points :der:

Yokohama a539 (i think) at the moment or eagle f1's in the past for road use in the summer,and cheap shite nankang things in the winter for slip sliding fun.
You're a brave man! Not had them on the 'R but A539's are the scariest tire I've used in the wet, they just didn't want to know when it came to standing water. I aqua-planed through a red traffic light braking gentley from 20 mph with them on a clio 16v. Must say the S-drives I've got at the moment on pulsar are a much improved tire in comparison

darkyGTI-R

Toyo Proxes T1Rs all day long mate no problem at all bit more interesting in the wet though but still very reliable:)