What tyre pressures for stripped out road car? and coilovers too stiff?

k20 gtr

Guys just wondering what sort of tyre pressures I should be running for road use.

205/45/16" Avons

Car is striped out with 2 bucket seats and perspex windows.
It has whiteline anti roll bars and coilovers although i dont know what poundage the springs are and what damper setting they are on.
I feel the back is too stiff and wants to step out on corners, but hasent yet just feels "light"

johnsy

then try moving it, i think the closest hole to the bar is the stiffest setting, so move it to the other end and see if that works

MarkTurbo

The anti roll bar should be fine on the setting its on ;-)

What make are the coilovers? Pretty much all the coilovers for the gti-r come with springs that are too hard to start with, add to that the fact the car is stripped out too so no weight on the back end! If they're not already i'd try putting the rear dampers on a softer setting.

k20 gtr

As much info as I can give at the mo for the coilovers is that the strut top mounts are an anodised purple colour, the fronts have camber adjustment on the strut top mounts and the same colour.
I shall try softening them.
Thanks Guys

M

markwashington

They could be bc's, if so they aren't too bad for the road, use the softest setting on the road and you should be fine, although the lack of rear weight is always going to hurt.

k20 gtr

I will get some pictures of them to try to identify what they are if I cant find any markers on the to identify who made them, I bought the car as it is from a guy that again bought it as it was from another guy that did the work.

H509 CSP if anybody knows it, was imported to guy in blairgowrie in 2004 or 2006 that imports them for a living.
There is alot of recipts I will have a good look threw them.

What would you recomend for the tyre pressures.

MarkTurbo

Purple sounds like D2 coilovers.

As far as tyre pressures go i'd start with about 32 front and 27/28 psi in the rear. What are they at the moment?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Are you pushing your car hard or is it normal driving.
My car is stripped out with hard coilovers but I've never felt the back end skipping out. (mind you I don't push it a great deal)
Might be worth changing the tyres. I don't know how Avons rate these days but the only group test I ever saw then in they were crap.

Have you checked the back end for wear to wheel bearings, suspension bushes etc?

johnsy

i have d2's fitted, and a stripped rear,

i found when i fitted the rear roll bar, it tended to want to over steer instead of understeer, it especially feels wallowy at the rear when i have them on the softest setting.

k20 gtr

There not d2's I had a look on ebay, they are a proper bright purple towards blue. These are purple towards pink. Like a raspberry cherry colour.
I've had a look just now but there is no names on the tops, the adjuster knob has a sort of two squashed circles in an oval?? - I'll get a pic.

They 31 points of adjustment on the rear, were set at 4 and I have put to 0
The front has about 31 and were set on 21. I have put them to 5 but will take some advice on what to do with these, I will hopefully find out the poundage of the springs when I strip it down.

Theres nothing worn that I know of, i'm not driving it hard at all, I have only done about 100 miles in the car, I just dont feel confident in how it feels at the rear, it hasent moved on the road but just dosent feel right, it sounds like yours john, did you move your anti roll bar?

Thanks I will give those a try, I'm not sure what the pressures are at the moment.

Thank you guys, I appreciate it!!

Last edited:

k20 gtr

No rear strut brace, I did want one but dont seem to be that easy to find. It does have a front one however.

Trip

What about your geometry front and back ?

Is it happening in entry under braking, mid or exiting under power ?

k20 gtr

I think that has cured it softing the rear dampers, it feels alot more stable thre the corners now!

Thank you very much for all your help guys, really appreciate it!!!!!