What are these cams?

shroom

Hi guys,
I brough an engine about a year ago, it was sold as having hks 272 cams in it with a lift of 11.5 but im not sure if they are HKS at all as my own HKS ones had the stamp HKS and 264 on them quite clearly.
Now I have taken some pictures for you to see and I was just wondering are these just stock ones? how could I tell for sure would I have to measure the lobes? im a bit clueless on how to measure them. They also dont look in that good condition realy and seem to have developed some surface rust even though I did try and coat them in some thick oil what could I do? would polishing help as I have noticed the same light rust on some of the crank :bounce:
They have N1466 stamped on them with 5 on one and 12 on the other, plus a 53J.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I thought "53J" was OEM cams of some kind, but I'm not sure they were GTi-R... although if they were in the engine that does rule-out quite a lot of other possibilities.

I'm pretty sure HKS brand everything, but there's always a chance they were reground by someone smaller who doesn't mark them.

If it's any consolation; I suspect when I take the rocker cover off my engine, my "HKS cams" will turn-out to have been made by Nissan too... just like my Nismo clutch (Exedy) and Yamamoto ECU (Nissan). :doh:

Animaldaz

There scrap whatever make they are. The hardening has failed, incorrectly shimmed or blocked spray are likely causes.

williams

to measure the lift. measure the the lobe length, thats the longest distance.
then measure the base circle, thats like at a right angle across the lobe to the lobe length.
subtract the base circle from lobe length to get your max lift.

shroom

Cheers guys so they loom like standard? Could be a sneaky swap if those stock cams were like this and some hks were sitting about pfft teach me for not looking first

shroom

So could be a bit of a mistery to what they are? I dont quite understand what i need to measure to get the lifts etc williams ?

Mr B

You simply measure from tip of lobe to top & the central circular lobe diameter & subtract last measure from first to see lobe lift value. If you do not have verniers you could make a simple measuring calliper from 2 lengths of steel riveted or bolted at on end & then use a good engineers rule to take measure from calliper. If in car you can simply use a dial guage. Personally I would just bin them as they are complete scrap or could use them to beat some truth out the scum who sold it to you !. Lesson to be learned when buying cars is trust nothing any seller tells you regardless of their status & check as much as you can. Standard GTIR cams are bloody good spec & capable of supporting high power & should be a long way down a list of important tuning mods.

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Bump for an old thread:

Can someone quickly confirm that these are also standard cams?

As I suggested above, when I took the rocker cover off they didn't look like HKS cams to me. - It hasn't quite come-out, but I can read "53J" on that inlet cam.

red reading

53j is just a casting blank, I have a set of brand new kelford with that on, and have seen loads of others from jun to piper with it too.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Well I've put the cover back on now, so no chance to take a closer look until the next time. - They looked to be in OK condition, but I don't believe they're anything interesting.