What are my Pistons?

G

gtirkelso

Hi,
Ive taken the head off my car today and on the pistons it says:

2 BP6 54C 05

Anybody have a clue what that means? Are they standard or uprated??

Can anyone help??

Cheers
Dawn :-D

P

pulsarboby

hi its bob who you picked the alternator up from!

whats happened to the car:?:shock: seems a bit drastic to renew the alternator lol:lol:

Trip

Some car manufactures offer a fractional larger in bore standard pistons as a rebuild kit when the engine has done many miles and need a re-bore.

As above the standard pistons have only 54C written on them.
Could it be possible that the rebuilt kit pistons offered by nissan have more lettering to show the larger in bore. Maybe the last two digits (05) reflect the increase such as .5mm.

I know for certain that Toyota offer a rebuit kit (incuding oversized pistons) for the 1ZZ engine (used on the mr2 spyder)

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
gtirkelso said:
Hi,
Ive taken the head off my car today and on the pistons it says:

2 BP6 54C 05

Anybody have a clue what that means? Are they standard or uprated??

Can anyone help??

Cheers
Dawn :-D

Standard

G

gtirkelso

Hey guys thanks for the info. :-D

Yep the new alternator I got off you Bob fixed the electrical problem but as soon as I'd fixed that this problem appears, one thing after another with this car, :doh: lol. I think Im gonna need a new head with cams, have you got one?

P

pulsarboby

yep ive got good standard heads in stock, just pm me if needed
but as red said above 'whats gone wrong with yours'?

G

gtirkelso

Its got hi lift cams and badily needs shimming, but I cant get it shimmed for a reasonable price so its seems easier to get another head so I can get back on the road, its been off more than on recently :cry:

Mr GTiR

gtirkelso said:
Its got hi lift cams and badily needs shimming, but I cant get it shimmed for a reasonable price so its seems easier to get another head so I can get back on the road, its been off more than on recently :cry:
But with the cost of taking the head off, new head gasket, new head bolts etc it would work out much cheaper to shim it :? Who the f00k is quoting you to sim your head and what price :der:

If your local to Bob then get him to shim it for you. Other wise give Ian a call at Hi Teq.

G

gtirkelso

The best quote iv had is £350 and the other problem is that the valves have been cliping the top of the piston slight and i dont fancy puting the head back on encase the valves are damaged and iv had such bad luck with this car, i dont no why i keep throwing money at it, i bought the car off mnm engineering and he told me it was a good car, it even broke on the way home iv had the car 2 months and have only done 500 milles and every time i use it breaks down, i must have spent over 1k on it replacing every thing and iv just pull the pistons out and the big ends are fcuk its never ending, I love Pulsar but this one's taking the piss :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pulsarboby

it sounds to me that it needed more than shimming the valves
for the valves to be touching or clipping the pistons there has to be a serious problem there somewhere as it would have to be 2 teeth out of time on the cams for that to happen, so either they were not fitted correctly or something has happened in the meantime, ie tensioner failiure or something along those lines.

if the bigends are also fcuked then your crank will be also, so sounds as though you need an entire engine rebuild.
as for the £350 for shimming, if they are supplying shims and labour then thats absolutely dirt cheap, ive heard of places charging around £800 inclusive of shims @ around £17 each:shock: to shim a head.

i charge less than you were quoted, but lets just say its not entirely an authodox method that i use:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr GTiR

gtirkelso said:
i dont no why i keep throwing money at it
I've been asking that question for the last 6 years!!

Yeah agreed with Bob, timing must be well out for the valves to clip the pistons.

I would be going back to MNM Engineering for a refund!

Last edited:
G

gtirkelso

mnm engineering are complet bogde he done the timeing and fited the cams i thught i could trust some one thats on gtiroc not to mug me. it had no inlet gaskets just some blue gunk so when i bought it driveing home it was squeeling like a pig evey time i try to ring him he hangs up the phone it looks like i need an engine its just a pain iv just had the engine out last week puting a clutch in.:doh: