Weight saving help needed, abs and power steering removal.

Sunny-D

I know someone that converted their civic to manual steering and tbh it didnt make that much difference once on the move, but he did notice an improvement in engine responce, he said it felt like there was more torque which got me thinking.

Im trying to squeeze every hp i can out of my setup and always planned to go electric ps but thought i might be able to get away with no pump at all.

MarkTurbo

How much weight do you think is sat over the front wheels of a civic compared to a gti-r :lol:

I think its one of those cases where in theory the power steering might sap a small amount of engine power and you can save a bit of weight by getting rid of it, but if you put 2 identical cars next to each other (one with p/s, one without) in the real world there would be nothing in it!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Surely it's not sapping anything (well hardly anything) when you're not moving the wheel? The idea is that the hydraulics help you shift the rack, but if there's no load then it's not really using any power.

I could see that if you're drag racing you don't need the pump turning nor the added weight at the front of your car, but if you want to turn a corner ever it's well worth having; don't forget these are driven wheels.